Would the economy be better off if all of opebo's proposals were followed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:11:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would the economy be better off if all of opebo's proposals were followed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would the economy be better off if all of opebo's proposals were followed?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Would the economy be better off if all of opebo's proposals were followed?  (Read 1811 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »

Absolutely. opebo understands the economy a lot better than anyone in Congress. Obama should've hired him as an economic advisor.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »

oh God... Roll Eyes
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »

I think there is a method to opebo's economic posts.  But I won't say more.  Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »

Tongue
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 11:03:57 PM »

Despite that he happens to strike correct like a broken clock one or two times, I don't take opebo seriously. On this forum, he's more of a performance artist than an actual debater or maker or serious proposals.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 03:55:39 AM »

Depends what proposals. As for taxing the rich, yes.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 07:59:35 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2011, 08:02:36 AM by Nathan »

Voted no to the question as phrased, but some of them, definitely. I'm not sure if he's proposed any actual taxation rates, but I get the sense I'd probably find them a little excessive. I find his proposed minimum wage of $15 excessive but I think he's generally right that it needs to be a lot higher and coupled with much better unemployment benefits.

Just a little bit of a nutcase on several other issues, though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »

Voted no to the question as phrased, but some of them, definitely. I'm not sure if he's proposed any actual taxation rates, but I get the sense I'd probably find them a little excessive. I find his proposed minimum wage of $15 excessive but I think he's generally right that it needs to be a lot higher and coupled with much better unemployment benefits.

Just a little bit of a nutcase on several other issues, though.

The rates I have proposed are merely the historical norm - about 70-90% for the vampiric class.  My personal preference would be for the higher figure, but I think the lower one is also workable if we don't mind the resultant aristocracy.

I would also like to see considerably higher rates on the merely privileged class - such as Torie.. in the 50-60% range.

Gentlemen, it cannot be news to you that capitalism doesn't work, or that careful State management of the economy through redistribution, regulation, and Keynesian macroeconomic practices is necessary to make it provide any benefit for the majority. 

My recommendations are simply the straightforward lessons of history and application of the most basic practical polices, nothing that warrants the pejoratives some of our more ideologically batty posters have leveled at me.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »

The rates I have proposed are merely the historical norm - about 70-90% for the vampiric class.  My personal preference would be for the higher figure, but I think the lower one is also workable if we don't mind the resultant aristocracy.

I would also like to see considerably higher rates on the merely privileged class - such as Torie.. in the 50-60% range.

I'd be comfortable with 70 and 50 as the top brackets, though I'd set them at ~60 and 40 myself.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No disagreement here.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't actually think you're nuts about any economic issues, even if I'm not one hundred per cent in agreement with you. And I also don't think that being nuts is necessarily a bad thing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2011, 09:36:41 AM by Torie »

opebo, you are too late. I already made my money. Tongue

Oh, yes, I once was in the 50% bracket as a young lawyer. However I claimed about 70 dependents on my W-2 form, after buying some real estate, and got out of that bracket in a hurry. In the glory days, the code was even more rife with loopholes than now, including being able to use real estate depreciation as an offset to ordinary income.

As to those confiscatory rates of 93% and all, nobody except Frank Sinatra made enough money back then to be in those brackets - certainly not after using all the available deductions. Frank however limited his record production back then because he just didn't want to sing for 7% of the take. It was quite frustrating for Capitol Records.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »

I know all about those anecdotes, Torie.  My dear departed father was always building apartment complexes and selling them to doctors and lawyers back then - after all, forcing these privileged to funnel their ill gotten gains into cheap housing was the whole point of said loophole. 

What is your income nowadays?  No doubt it warrants a high marginal rate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »

I know all about those anecdotes, Torie.  My dear departed father was always building apartment complexes and selling them to doctors and lawyers back then - after all, forcing these privileged to funnel their ill gotten gains into cheap housing was the whole point of said loophole. 

What is your income nowadays?  No doubt it warrants a high marginal rate.

My taxable income is pedestrian. I only work about a third of the time now.  Depreciation still defrays most of my net income from my real estate portfolio.  And  I have my little IRA account.  For some reason, the Left has missed so far the pension thing. Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »

Tax brackets of 60% or even higher? Oh yes, what a great idea to destroy any nation's economy. Fortunately the politicians of my country - even those on the democratic left, for the record - are saner in that respect.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »

Tax brackets of 60% or even higher? Oh yes, what a great idea to destroy any nation's economy. Fortunately the politicians of my country - even those on the democratic left, for the record - are saner in that respect.

Zuzu, there's no such thing as 'any nation's economy', only its government.  The economy is just how the State distributes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »

Yeah, sure. That certainly explains why at the height of its prosperity the US had 70% tax rates...
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »

Yeah, sure. That certainly explains why at the height of its prosperity the US had 70% tax rates...

We should not forget to say that during the years of "prosperity" you are talking about there were massive tax loopholes for the rich, so in fact 70% was merely a theoretical number for many.

Broadly speaking, if there are excessive tax rates without any loopholes in a particular place rich people are driven away from that place. Many of them move to places with lower taxes. As a result, the country/region where tax rates are excessively high is going to receive lower tax revenues. And that's really not clever.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »

Since Opebo doesn't know anything at all about economics, his ideas would destroy the economy in a year or two.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »

Since Opebo doesn't know anything at all about economics, his ideas would destroy the economy in a year or two.

Probably more like a week or two, if his little plan to "monetize" our debt by printing 15 trillion dollars is implemented.  Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »

There is no causative argument there, adolescent.  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »

Probably more like a week or two, if his little plan to "monetize" our debt by printing 15 trillion dollars is implemented.  Smiley

Please stop trolling, Torie.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »

is brtd the only person that takes opebo seriously?

brtd takes everything literally.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2011, 05:22:34 PM by Torie »

Probably more like a week or two, if his little plan to "monetize" our debt by printing 15 trillion dollars is implemented.  Smiley

I thought you favored this approach opebo. Did I misunderstand you?  I suppose I could look up your post. By the way, I found some data for you on real median incomes over time. Aren't I a nice fellow to do that for you?  Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »

While the OP didn't phrase it like this, if "all of anyone's proposals were implemented all at once", it would be a disaster. The more aggressive the change, the more disastrous the results. Such changes need to be implemented over a period of years. Opebo's are so aggressive that no amount of time would be enough to prevent the disaster.

The rates I have proposed are merely the historical norm - about 70-90% for the vampiric class.  My personal preference would be for the higher figure, but I think the lower one is also workable if we don't mind the resultant aristocracy.

I'd be comfortable with 70 and 50 as the top brackets, though I'd set them at ~60 and 40 myself.

I'd be comfortable with 50% and 40%, though I would prefer 45% and 36% myself.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »

Probably more like a week or two, if his little plan to "monetize" our debt by printing 15 trillion dollars is implemented.  Smiley

I thought you favored this approach opebo. Did I misunderstand you?  I suppose I could look up your post.

The behavior in question is I think 'straw-manning', a kind of discourse which is destructive of real argumentation.  Of course I never proposed a sudden printing of 15 trillion as you well know.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 06:17:32 PM »

... Opebo's are so aggressive that no amount of time would be enough to prevent the disaster.

Not at all, SNC.  I'm merely proposing a return to that which prevailed 30 years ago, plus a few minor additions.  So, give me 30 years and it should be easy.  Your children will be better off for it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies