Markets not happy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:55:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Markets not happy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Markets not happy  (Read 6251 times)
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »

at all. Man this has been an expensive week for me.

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »

Europe
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:34:13 PM »

Go Japan!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »

UK gilts are a good investment too. JGBs are a solid bet. Pretty much any government debt security not tied to the notorious euro and the hard money anti-Keynesians in charge in Brussels, excepting maybe for German bunds. Gold is good for now but if we really go into a depression then gold is not good.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:32:16 PM »

Dow now down 446.  Happy birthday, Mr. President.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »

Dow down 514.61.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:28:12 AM »

There is no reason for this.  Every news report that could possibly effect the markets happened before today.  People are just depressed and are taking it out on the economy.

Some Prozac would stimulate the financial sector.
Foucaulf
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:57:27 AM »

Remember back in 2009 when people were complaining about stocks rebounding to pre-recession levels while "Main Street" was still in the pits? I guess the playing field is now more balanced.

There is talk about a theory where traders have been so focused on the debt crisis's resolution that the Eurozone debacle brought forth a rude awakening. I would like to expand on that, thinking the fall happened because the debt crisis prevented a less panicked reaction regarding the Eurozone, over a longer period of time. It'll be interesting to see if the sell-off today make the impact of tomorrow's job reports less significant.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 02:00:32 AM »

As I noted some time ago, the stock market is NOT a good investment under current financial circumstances.

I went with the Loonie (the Canadian Dollar) which has appreciated from approximately $0.78 US when Obama took office to approximately $1.02 US today.

Also recommend the Aussie (the Australian Dollar) which has appreciated from approximately $0.63 when Obama took office to approximately $1.05 US today.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 02:08:42 AM »

As I noted some time ago, the stock market is NOT a good investment under current financial circumstances.

I went with the Loonie (the Canadian Dollar) which has appreciated from approximately $0.78 US when Obama took office to approximately $1.02 US today.

Also recommend the Aussie (the Australian Dollar) which has appreciated from approximately $0.63 when Obama took office to approximately $1.05 US today.

Be careful.  The loonie was at like $1.05 in December 2007.  I sincerely doubt it will go much higher than it is at the moment.  While Canada and Australia are doing fairly well economically... they will not perform well if everybody else starts sinking.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 02:25:38 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2011, 02:31:03 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Be careful.  The loonie was at like $1.05 in December 2007.  I sincerely doubt it will go much higher than it is at the moment.  While Canada and Australia are doing fairly well economically... they will not perform well if everybody else starts sinking.

Right now, performance is relative.

When you look at the Euro, the American dollar looks relatively good.

However, when you compare the American dollar to the Australian and Canadian dollars, well...

Of course, the Swiss Franc has appreciated as well   (from approximately $0.86 when Obama took office to approximately $1.30 today).

To me, one of the major problems at this time with American stock valuation is that it is largely based on "technical" and emotional basis rather than fundamental analysis.

Also, I have found the Wilshire 5000 a better track than the DJI.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »

There is no reason for this.  Every news report that could possibly effect the markets happened before today.  People are just depressed and are taking it out on the economy.

Some Prozac would stimulate the financial sector.

Of course there is a reason for this - the debt deal as well as the continuing poor policy from Germany indicates that the only actors who can remove us from depression - the government of the USA and to a lesser extent the major Eurozone goveernemnts - refuse to do so and continue to follow deflationary neo-liberal austerity instead of Keynesian redistribution and reflation.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »

After reading several news reports, it seems that the 500 point drop in the Dow yesterday was the result of a speech by Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi the day before. Berlusconi, in contrast to all the other leaders of the crisis hit countries so far, refused to enact any austerity measures or reforms. As a result, the ECB finds it harder justify buying Italian bonds to the Bundesbank.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 11:05:01 AM »

I watched it, for reasons that are beyond me. He basically stood up and said that everything is fine.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »

After reading several news reports, it seems that the 500 point drop in the Dow yesterday was the result of a speech by Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi the day before. Berlusconi, in contrast to all the other leaders of the crisis hit countries so far, refused to enact any austerity measures or reforms. As a result, the ECB finds it harder justify buying Italian bonds to the Bundesbank.

Good for Burlesconi!  He may have several downsides, but at least he isn't cowed by the poison-the-patient nonsense.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »

Good for Burlesconi!  He may have several downsides, but at least he isn't cowed by the poison-the-patient nonsense.

That's true, but you have to remember the Brusselcrats are operating under flawed economic thinking that says you can't help any patient until they have been sufficiently bled.
Foucaulf
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »

Was it about no austerity measures? Looks to me that it was him boasting that Italian banks are solvent, except he failed miserably at convincing anyone. More important seems to be EU President Barroso's straight talk acknowledging how bad the condition of the Eurozone is right now.

The markets have all reason to be jittery, but the selloff only reached escape velocity once Americans looked at the FTSE and winced.

(But the Italians seem to be making a big deal out of this...)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »

That's right, yeah. He came across like a second-hand car salesman.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »

That's right, yeah. He came across like a second-hand car salesman.

Precisely - and thus a genius compared to neoliberal 'economists'.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 11:37:22 AM »

But Brussels (and hence 'the markets' were looking for more). How many rounds have everyone else gone through? opebo makes a point, though. The old buffoon is forcing issue because he knows his country faces a liquidity crisis and political crisis, not inherent near term insolvency. As for the raids on S&P and Moody's... well what would you do if foreign multinationals were threatening to sink your economic sovereignty? Greece and Spain should have done that months ago. Just a pity that it takes a right-winger not to have the spine of a jellyfish.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »

So, when did you actually put these trades on?  What day?  I can't wait to hear the answer.

Sorry, but I don't divulge specific information on my transactions.

If you look back (see you're new here) you will find that I had a long series of posts on this approximately a year ago.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »

I doubt that that the markets will be happy Monday.  Der schwarze Tag?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 10:47:58 PM »

Me possibly being prophetic.

Down by .5%-1%.  The key is that there is talk of downgrading the US credit rating from AAA to AA+.  That is independent of the debt ceiling deal (or lack thereof).

We'll see how prophetic starting on Monday.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 11:53:55 PM »

How bad is the stock market expected to be on Monday? I can't see investors buying stock when we've been downgraded for the first time ever.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 05:29:26 AM »

How bad is the stock market expected to be on Monday? I can't see investors buying stock when we've been downgraded for the first time ever.
Anyone taking his money out of US treasury bonds because of that (not sure anybody is that touchy, but hey) would likely put it into something else, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies