Will we ever have open aspie president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:51:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Will we ever have open aspie president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will we ever have open aspie president?  (Read 9664 times)
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:15:17 PM »

I would say maybe but leaning towards no on this question. Though I suspect Calvin Coolidge and Thomas Jefferson were on the autism specturm. I've heard rumors about Al Gore being a aspie, though this is like the Bill Gates being a aspie.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:18:28 PM »

Depends. In mild cases, it's usually something not very easy to notice in adults. A more severe case (still mild by autism standards) would likely never win.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »

Depends. In mild cases, it's usually something not very easy to notice in adults. A more severe case (still mild by autism standards) would likely never win.

What do you mean by severe aspergers?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2011, 03:09:05 PM by Great Minds Think For Themselves »

Like you said, Thomas Jefferson is speculated to have been one, but he died before it was coined. (Right?)

Anyway, most people with it are nerds or sociopaths. Neither of which have a chance being president. (Well, Obama is a nerd, but he can't be one.)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »

Coolidge is the most obvious.  I don't think any of the others.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »

Some historians have labled Washington as down right autistic.

I think the biggest problem with have an aspherger President is that it's significantly difficult to run a campaign if you're socially awkward. That's not to say it can't or has not happened, and it will in the future. But it's much more difficult for a politician to read voters if he or she is not incredibly socially strong, much less diagnosed with a mental dissability.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:16:37 PM »

BTW, Teddy ran for office twice, so I thnk someone with Aspergers can run for president.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »

Asperger's isn't necessarily a disability so much as a disorder. It of course makes one a bit weaker with their social skills, but one effect is that they become much more passionate about certain things. This, of course, can be a massive boost.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »

Coolidge is the most obvious.  I don't think any of the others.

Coolidge probably suffered from depression, rather than having autism. He did lose several family members at a young age, and one of his sons died during the early part of his presidency. Plus he was an excellent public speaker when he wanted to be, but was quite withdrawn in his private life. 
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »

Asperger's isn't necessarily a disability so much as a disorder. It of course makes one a bit weaker with their social skills, but one effect is that they become much more passionate about certain things. This, of course, can be a massive boost.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »

I agree, for the most part. Passion is a major skill for a politician, but perhaps less so for a Presidential candidate. Candidates like Bill Bradley or Steve Forbes who are deeply interested and informed about particular issues generally get branded as "geeks" by the media and large chunks of the electorate.
This brings up a further interesting point. Last month, I attended a David Brooks lecture. He spoke briefly about the "vertical and horizental" relationships. Politicians excell at vertical relationships. They can persuade those under them to support them, and they are good at appeasing those above them. But they struggle at horizental relationships, as they generally move up quickly and spend little time at each level. So they're pretty awkward in the traditional sense, but great at moving crowds and voters.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »

BTW, Teddy ran for office twice, so I thnk someone with Aspergers can run for president.

And how did that go for him? He had a combined vote total of 589.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 11:59:44 AM »

Yeah well, if you classify every minor deviation from some stupid norm as a mental condition, eventually you'll have Presidents with diagnosed mental conditions as there'll be nobody else left. Jeez.

Now, a severely autistic President, that'd be a sight I'd pay to see. Grin
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »

And how did that go for him? He had a combined vote total of 589.

True. But if someone that had everything we see in our politicans appears in our aspie, then I think he can do well. One great thing about aspies would be that they are not corrupt and won't really lie.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »

What did Nixon have? I've read a lot about him being very shy. Not sure if it was anything more then that.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »

What did Nixon have? I've read a lot about him being very shy. Not sure if it was anything more then that.

Nixon had never been dignosed with any disorder/disability. Nixon did have autistic traits but I think he suffered from some other disorder and not autism/aspergers.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »

Nixon was likely a psychopath.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »

What I was thinking of. Nixon is the most pysychopath president we've ever had in office and I'm shock Nixon was never dignosed with the disorder.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »

What I was thinking of. Nixon is the most pysychopath president we've ever had in office and I'm shock Nixon was never dignosed with the disorder.
Of course he wouldn't be. Most psychopaths never are. (Seriously. The study of psychopathy always focussed on the violent ones that largely populate prisons. The traits that distinguish them from the non-psychopathic prison population are what was used to define the disorder, but are but a subset of the traits that distinguish them from the population at large... they are also the same traits that distinguish your typical successful money person from the population at large. The difference between them and the prisoners come down largely to higher intelligence and parents' income.)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »

For the sake of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, psychopaths =/= Asperger's or autism.

Psychopaths are very smooth in their social skills on a superficial level. But they lack empathy.

Asperger's/autism have empathy, but they have trouble interpreting social cues and consequently, have trouble demonstrating empathy.

It's the difference between not knowing how what is appropriate in social situations (Asperger's), and knowing, but not caring (psychopathy).

Anyway, Nixon was very likely on the autistic spectrum.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 03:02:53 PM »

Probably paranoia or schizophrenia.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 05:41:55 AM »

Nixon pretty much neither knew nor cared.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »

Nixon probably suffered from some combination of depression and paranoia, but there's no way he was on the autism spectrum. He was way too skilled at reading people and manipulating them to have been autistic. Also, he may well have been a sociopath.

And also, it's very unlikely we've had, or ever will have, a president with Asperger's. Just like 95% of people on the Internet who think they have Asperger's don't and are just nerds, most of the people who have been mentioned on this thread as potential candidates for Asperger's or the autism spectrum were just depressed, introverted, or socially maladroit.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Madness-Civilization-History-Insanity-Reason/dp/067972110X
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies