Looks like there is a deal.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:59:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Looks like there is a deal.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Looks like there is a deal.  (Read 8269 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 01:22:24 AM »

A deal?!  shucks, just when the party was getting good.  looks like we need a new topic to continue abusing Obama on a daily basis
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 01:25:33 AM »

I wont be relieved until its put to a vote in Congress, and that still doesnt look promising.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 01:26:55 AM »

So how did Phil get to be in the Capitol for this? Does he work for somebody, is he a prominent activist, or was he just lucky enough to get ringside seats for this drama? Whatever the case may be, I'm...actually a little jealous.

Let's just say Santorum was involved.

I hope Phil knows a good dry cleaner.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 01:31:25 AM »

Boehner is denying it. I don't see how anything that can get through the Senate can get through the House. Too many nutters.

Yes, the Senate is full of Senators exhibiting clinical denial concerning the fact that deficits and debt cannot continue to grow exponentially without some day of reckoning.

Yes.  But is it really today?

As I wrote numerous times before, it ends one of two ways, we choose austerity at a debt level that is manageable, or we can ride it out to the bitter end, Then,  austerity will be chosen for us, and, we will have a  crushing debt burden. The former option is orders of magnitude better, but,  it requires politicians to make hard choices today.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, after the Greek's bailout [de facto default?] it was inevitable that every nation's book were seriously reviewed.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 01:35:39 AM »

I heard an interesting thing from one of CNN's international correspondents today covering Asian markets, which haven't risen very much since the news of the deal broke.  A person he talked to at a large firm said they really didn't know about the debt ceiling until this whole mess was brought up and are now downgrading their opinion of investment in American bonds because of its mere existence and potential for deals to not be reached in the future.  Nice job, Teabaggers.

this analyst at a large firm never knew about the debt ceiling?!  just goes to show you how much analyst know
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 01:37:35 AM »

The only reason we care about the debt is because of a risk of default and austerity.  Default and austerity is not a solution to this problem.

I heard an interesting thing from one of CNN's international correspondents today covering Asian markets, which haven't risen very much since the news of the deal broke.  A person he talked to at a large firm said they really didn't know about the debt ceiling until this whole mess was brought up and are now downgrading their opinion of investment in American bonds because of its mere existence and potential for deals to not be reached in the future.  Nice job, Teabaggers.

this analyst at a large firm never knew about the debt ceiling?!  just goes to show you how much analyst know

I doubt internationals keep much track over something that has been routinely raised fifty times without question or much media coverage for that matter.  It would be like the State Department keeping track of parking meter laws in Munich.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »

So how did Phil get to be in the Capitol for this? Does he work for somebody, is he a prominent activist, or was he just lucky enough to get ringside seats for this drama? Whatever the case may be, I'm...actually a little jealous.

Oh, it was quite simple. As a human being that takes an interest in the activity of government, I simply went to the Capitol and got to see what happened.

(Anyone can enter the galleries and watch the activities of the House and Senate as long as they are in session. I'll take the other compliments though. Wink )
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 01:40:52 AM »

I wont be relieved until its put to a vote in Congress, and that still doesnt look promising.

I agree there. If enough very liberal Dems and Teabaggers deflect well... it is done, especially if Pelosi doesn't fight it.

Who would have thought that such extremes would come together in such a way?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 02:24:52 AM »

this analyst at a large firm never knew about the debt ceiling?!  just goes to show you how much analyst know

I doubt internationals keep much track over something that has been routinely raised fifty times without question or much media coverage for that matter.  It would be like the State Department keeping track of parking meter laws in Munich.

the debt limit has been an issue for a very long time, heck I can remember the issue back in the Reagan days
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 02:28:39 AM »

the debt limit has been an issue for a very long time, heck I can remember the issue back in the Reagan days

But its increase was never in doubt.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2011, 03:09:53 AM »

(Anyone can enter the galleries and watch the activities of the House and Senate as long as they are in session. I'll take the other compliments though. Wink )

Oh, I thought that'd changed at some point in the past nine years and eleven months. Thank you for correcting my misapprehension; I have to get in on some of that next time I'm somewhere near Washington.

(No, this isn't sarcastic. Seriously, thank you very much.)
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2011, 06:21:44 AM »

But its increase was never in doubt.
that has nothing to do with the point the analyst should have known about it
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2011, 08:32:07 AM »

A deal?!  shucks, just when the party was getting good.  looks like we need a new topic to continue abusing Obama on a daily basis

Are you certain CARL isn't a sockpuppet of yours? Wink
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2011, 09:44:34 AM »

Are you certain CARL isn't a sockpuppet of yours? Wink
IP check?  Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »

The market is not reacting well to this. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2011, 10:45:42 AM »

Primary Obama. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »

Oh I'm sure that conversation has taken place in smoke-filled rooms on Capitol Hill.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »

Then again, the fact that the ISM tanked last month was announced this morning. Even if we have a debt ceiling increase deal that ends uncertainty in the short run, in the long run we still have Obama as the steward of our economy. Ouch!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »

I'm really quite surprised, and pleased, at the trigger that's been implemented.  Hard to believe the Republicans would allow it, but, hey, good to see.

That has to do with depressing economic numbers from Friday/today, not the deal.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »

That has to do with depressing economic numbers from Friday/today, not the deal.

Right, and I'm surprised J.J. doesn't know this.
Marston
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »

Mike Lee said he's going to filibuster and Pelosi is still reportedly undecided.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »

I'm really quite surprised, and pleased, at the trigger that's been implemented.  Hard to believe the Republicans would allow it, but, hey, good to see.

Actually, it started out with a triple digit gain and the Nikkei was up.

The deal could have moderated that.  So far today, it doesn't seem to have helped too much.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »

Well, too bad there is no taxes hike on the richer, but, at last, US government was forced to control its deficit.
No, it hasn't. The problem still exists. But I guess for those who want the government's entire budget to consist of paying out retirement checks, this is a first step.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »

Actually, it started out with a triple digit gain and the Nikkei was up.

The deal could have moderated that.  So far today, it doesn't seem to have helped too much.

Yes, it started with triple digit gains because of the deal, and then plunged because of the release of depressing economic numbers.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »

looks like we need a new topic to continue abusing Obama on a daily basis

No need to worry- Obama, at least in this respect, is a gift that keeps on giving.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies