SENATE BILL: Foreign Policy Reform Act of 2011 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:32:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Foreign Policy Reform Act of 2011 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Foreign Policy Reform Act of 2011 (Failed)  (Read 2671 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2011, 11:21:52 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Napoleon
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »

Even the current occupant of this position admits that it is completely useless. We have, not just ordinary citizens, but members of this Senate wondering what the purpose of the office is. It is clear-- there is none.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »

Ironically enough, I was wondering when this would happen earlier today. Didn't notice you had already introduced it. Wink

Ben would probably do a better job trying to defend this position than I could. It's certainly a difficult position to has, because there aren't really any guidelines. I've just been helping SoEA Ben with foreign events, which I really don't need a title for.

My advice, as current GTO Ambassador, for the Senate would be to either amend this position to make it actually useful or just abolish it (sorry Ben).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 10:42:25 PM »

The position of GTO Ambassador has been held by three people.  During my tenure I worked along with SoEA Hashemite in negotiating with the Chinese.  Lief did not do much, and Tmthforu94 has been helping formulate the foreign policy of this administration.  Ideally, GM Maroaki and I will be able to formulate stories regarding the GTO, so that Tmthforu94 can fulfill more than just being my Deputy-Secretary, which is essentially the role now.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »

Will there be a final vote on this soon? Smiley I'd like to know if my position is going to stay around before I start putting work into it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »

Tmth said in his confirmation some things we could do for the position so maybe we should see if anything can come of his work on this.  But if we get rid of the GTO Ambassador position we should officially leave the GTO entirely also. No sense in being a part of an international organization if we don't have someone to pay attention to it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

Tmth said in his confirmation some things we could do for the position so maybe we should see if anything can come of his work on this.  But if we get rid of the GTO Ambassador position we should officially leave the GTO entirely also. No sense in being a part of an international organization if we don't have someone to pay attention to it.
Basically, if you guys decide to keep this position, I plan on doing the best I can do. Mostly I'll continue helping Ben with foreign policy stories, but I also hope to put more information on Wiki and possibly do a little bio in the DoEA office about the GTO, just so Atlasians would be more educated on it.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 02:02:49 PM »

Couldn't we just keep the position but not have it filled by anyone? Like the countless of jobs that I am sure technically exist. Like I am sure we likely have an ambassador to Lichtenstein or to the U.N. but we don't actually fill those spots with active real people.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »

This bill is not intended to be used as a vehicle to withdraw from the GTO. If you desire that, it should be considered as a separate bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »

Is a final vote desired on this bill? The 72 hours have elapsed and 24 hours have passed since a post was made.

AND NO MAYBES OR OTHER CRAP!!! U REALLY WANT IT, SAY IT LIKE YOUR REALLY WANT IT!!! Tongue

There, how is that for caution? Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »

Yes, bring a vote. I see this debate was about as lively as the position.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:21:54 PM »

A final vote is now open on this bill, please vote AYE, NAY, or Abstain.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »

aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »

I am inclined to give tmth a chance to follow through and see if he can do what he promises with this position. If he fails, my opinion will likely change regarding whether or not to keep it.

Nay
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »

aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

I am inclined to give tmth a chance to follow through and see if he can do what he promises with this position. If he fails, my opinion will likely change regarding whether or not to keep it.

Nay
Thank you, Yankee.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 05:44:16 PM »

Let's see if this position can actually be useful before we chop it. Then again, is any governmental position that useful?

Nay
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 06:10:05 AM »

Nay
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 08:18:02 AM »

Nay
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »

I agree with the opposing arguments posted above.

Nay
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 05:48:04 PM »

With all due respect, even the GTO Ambassador himself suggested we either amend or abolish the office. You chose not to amend it or even really debate it; therefore, we should vote to abolish. Senator North Carolina Yankee has not presented an argument, he has posed a false dichotomy. It wont be Tmthforu who fails (this isn't administrating elections Wink ), it is the position that has failed. It is rather useless. Senator shua, you even created a thread about this. Why are you voting Nay?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »

I asked tmth4u about my concerns on the GTO during his confirmation hearing, and he gave me a sense that he would do what would be necessary to address it. My concerns were not really about the GTO ambassador position itself, but more what has been the lack of information on the GTO.  If we end the GTO position, but then don't have anyone to address our role as a member state and what obligations we have as a part of it, we will have made that problem worse than before.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »

I asked tmth4u about my concerns on the GTO during his confirmation hearing, and he gave me a sense that he would do what would be necessary to address it. My concerns were not really about the GTO ambassador position itself, but more what has been the lack of information on the GTO.  If we end the GTO position, but then don't have anyone to address our role as a member state and what obligations we have as a part of it, we will have made that problem worse than before.
I'd like to mention, Shua, that while nothing has been posted publically yet, I have done extensive reading on the matter the past few weeks and am composing a sort of bio for the GTO.

Let me be clear - I don't want this position to be abolished, at least while I'm serving in it. Cheesy Wink I wish the job had more concrete...what's the word...responsibilities, but in the meantime, I'm just trying to work with what I've got and create work for myself without breaking any laws. Wink Should this bill fail and I'm able to continue my duties, I look forward to working with the Senate to possibly find a solution to make this position more relevant (I can honestly say I don't have any real, good ideas off the top of my head).

There is a thread about the GTO, though it's quite old. I hope to possibly quote it and try and bring it back to life.

For anyone who wants to see it: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=42496.0

I feel a lot of this could have been discussed (ie possible ideas for relevency) during my confirmation hearing, and I urged the Senate multiple times to engage. Shua has been the only Senator who's shown any interest at all. Unfortunately, Senators were still more concerned about the trial and personally attacking me, with the only real discussion occurring when the confirmation vote was stalled for no good reason.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies