Oslo Bombing and Utøya Shootings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:13:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Oslo Bombing and Utøya Shootings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Author Topic: Oslo Bombing and Utøya Shootings  (Read 23979 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »

Death toll has been raised to 80, damn.

Horrible, horrible, horrible Sad
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:44 PM »

My thoughts are with the Norwegian people today.  I hope for justice and I mourn the dead.

It's hard to say something that isn't trite and inane, but I do feel for the people of Norway.  I just wish there was a way to do so that wasn't cliched and trite.

That's what I was thinking. Sad
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »

Sad

Was that from the shooting or the bombing, or both.

At least 80 from the shooting according to the police.  The bombing toll remains at 7 for now.

Good lord.  It is almost impossible to kill that many people, unless you have automatic weapons.  Even then, you'd need hundreds of rounds of ammunition.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 10:36:08 PM »

Sad

Was that from the shooting or the bombing, or both.

At least 80 from the shooting according to the police.  The bombing toll remains at 7 for now.

Good lord.  It is almost impossible to kill that many people, unless you have automatic weapons.  Even then, you'd need hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

He had both automatic weapons and handguns.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2011, 10:37:04 PM »

Apparently a number of the kids jumped into the river to avoid the shooting only to drown in the water.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2011, 10:38:09 PM »

Good to see that we're all adult mature people who're not pointing out entire groups of people because of a single insane persons actions. Of course it doesn't really matter if people die as long as you can score cheap political points out of it.

Have you checked the comments at the New York Times website of the hundreds of people assuming this was an Islamist terrorist? (ironically, the most restrained commenter is from Norway)

I'm only afraid that the death toll will be even higher. As a percentage of population, this is already worse than 9/11.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »

Apparently a number of the kids jumped into the river to avoid the shooting only to drown in the water.

Unfortunately on another forum I was watching developments on this on, they posted a picture of a bunch of bodies strewn across rocks near the water. I don't even know how to respond to seeing something like that. Attacking kids just seems like the sickest and weakest thing you could ever do. How does someone even justify that?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2011, 10:44:14 PM »

Good to see that we're all adult mature people who're not pointing out entire groups of people because of a single insane persons actions. Of course it doesn't really matter if people die as long as you can score cheap political points out of it.

Have you checked the comments at the New York Times website of the hundreds of people assuming this was an Islamist terrorist? (ironically, the most restrained commenter is from Norway)

I'm only afraid that the death toll will be even higher. As a percentage of population, this is already worse than 9/11.

Yeah, one of our local Tea Party groups is blaming the attacks on Sharia Law.  When someone challenged their assumption that it was a Muslim, the other commenters said that the reports that the man was a white Norwegian was a media conspiracy to cover up the Muslim roots of the attack.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2011, 10:51:58 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And so on.
Anyways, today was a very sad day, this was Norway's Oklahoma City bombing. That too, was a domestic Christian right-winger instead of a foreign Muslim right-winger.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »

Timothy McVeigh was not a Christian. He was an agnostic that had been raised Catholic and was not practicing.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »

Timothy McVeigh was not a Christian. He was an agnostic that had been raised Catholic and was not practicing.
Well, I dont want to announce my views on OK City---they are--out their...But, I am glad you raised this, McVeigh was indeed agnostic, not a Christian zealot.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »

Also, its now have been proven to have been a lone nut/neo fascist. However, I did suspect Al Qeada--I thought Qadaffi did it. That has to be a interesting lead at least.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2011, 11:48:22 PM »

My thoughts go out to the victims and to Norway.  This is a very sad day.

And the fact that this guy targeted a youth camp out of all places -- absolutely sick.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »

OK, I stand corrected.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2011, 11:58:12 PM »

Unfortunately on another forum I was watching developments on this on, they posted a picture of a bunch of bodies strewn across rocks near the water. I don't even know how to respond to seeing something like that. Attacking kids just seems like the sickest and weakest thing you could ever do. How does someone even justify that?
They were members of a party with which he disagreed on the issues.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2011, 12:10:55 AM »

I'm surprised it took five whole pages before you chimed in with your usual classlessness!
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2011, 12:15:33 AM »

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/article4181012.ece (use your translate button)
rob in cal
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2011, 12:34:49 AM »

I read on Wikipedia that he was an admirer of Churchill and Max Manus, a leading anti-Nazi resistance fighter in Norway.  Is it confirmed that he was pro-Nazi?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2011, 12:44:40 AM »

Not all nutbars are NAZI
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2011, 01:01:27 AM »

However, I did suspect Al Qeada--I thought Qadaffi did it.

That's a bit of a contradiction.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2011, 03:05:46 AM »

Seriously, can we go 24 hours without capitalizing on those dead kids to do political hackery? And especially without any of "other hacks would have done the same if it would have been different."

Extremely sad. This is a big shock to Sweden as well. I have several close friends in the Swedish Young Social Democrats and they seem quite taken - it's unclear if there were Swedish members at that youth camp and I think they have a lot of friends in the Norwegian sister organization.

I must say that I'm still surprised at how this turned out. Norway has, as far as I know, hardly any history of domestic political violence. And it seems extremely well-planned for an act of a lone madman.

Also, Swedish media reports the death count as 91. 7 in the bombings, 84 at the camp.

Too bad that Norway, or so I was told, has the most luxurious prisons in the world and no capital punishment.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2011, 03:21:03 AM »

And he owned an agricultural company called BREIVIK GEOFARM, so it was easy for him to get a lot of fertilizer for his bomb.
Ah, that explains a lot. Cause that bomb must have been huge, and I was wondering about where he got help from til now.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2011, 03:22:11 AM »

Ugh.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »

Seriously, can we go 24 hours without capitalizing on those dead kids to do political hackery? And especially without any of "other hacks would have done the same if it would have been different."
They did even after it was confimed it was different. Including in this thread, you know.
Now that's beyond the acceptable. The other is... not perfect either... but nothing more than that.

In. Effing. Credible.
That's the attack itself I'm talking about. Still trying to wrap my brain around the Utoya shooting. How. the. hell? And why. the. hell?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2011, 03:51:43 AM »

They did even after it was confimed it was different. Including in this thread, you know.
Now that's beyond the acceptable. The other is... not perfect either... but nothing more than that.

In. Effing. Credible.
That's the attack itself I'm talking about. Still trying to wrap my brain around the Utoya shooting. How. the. hell? And why. the. hell?

I haven't seen anyone do it in this thread? People were speculating about who could be behind this and I guess the speculation that it could be a convert was probably a bit silly. But no one said anything islamophobic in the thread as far as I can see.

Coming in here only to troll about your hackishness is disgusting and that's what Jfern did. What other people were doing at NYT strikes me as bizarrely irrelevant.

-----------------------------------

It has been confirmed that there were Swedes in the camp as well, but I haven't seen any report on whether any of them were killed. Saw some interviews with a couple of the kids. There was a girl who had been hiding behind a rock, watching as he killed 10 of her friends. She ran into the water and he fired at her but she got lucky and managed to get sufficiently far away to survive.

He was apparently very calm, collected and methodical. He went into every tent, behind every rock. She kept saying how he was slow and steady, walking around and checking every hiding place. Highly disturbing.

Also, he apparently had a licence for at least two weapons (though if I understand correctly, not the rifle that he also had on the island).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies