Gerrymandering Canada (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:08:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gerrymandering Canada (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gerrymandering Canada  (Read 21027 times)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »

From my understanding, since my family lives right there in the Jewish segment on Bathurst is that these affluent voters are socially liberal, pro-israel (but this isn't a deciding factor), and tend to be a little fiscally conservative. Overall, very centrist voters and I think that many of them believe that the NDP promises the impossible, while the Conservatives are more realistic. Many of the older voters are very traditional Liberals, but they are fading away as younger, even more affluent families move in. The Conservatives have done an excellent job of presenting themselves as accepting of multiculturalism, other religions, and avoiding controversial social issues. It's seems like it was only time before wealthy Jews started voting for the party that offers lower taxes.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:52:28 AM »

Are Canadian Jews significantly different from American Jews, or does Harper's success among them represent something that could be replicated among US Republicans?

We already are seeing a shift among more conservative Jews, although many of them already were supporting the Republicans. I do think Jews are one of the few American groups whose children tend to be more conservative than their parents. Most Jews in my generation born in the 80s and 90s were raised in affluence and tend to be less faithful to the Democrats, taxes, etc. Also there is a growing divide in the Jewish community between more liberal folks who care more about broader domestic issues and those who place Zionism as their most fundamental issue. Many Jews even those who would otherwise be liberal on every issue from health care to gay marriage are still stuck on the issue of Zionism and don't see the current Democratic party as very supportive of Israel.

But I don't think America is anywhere close to where Canada is right now with demographic shifts. The Republicans still have succeeded despite alienating minority voters and probably will continue to do so for a long time. Look at California a state where minorities hold strong voting power and still the Democrats dominate among nearly every group. Jews here are much more embedded with the Democratic Party and unlike the Liberal Party of Canada, there are no replacement parties in the horizon to cut apart the vote and encourage Jews and other minorities to flee the Democratic Party. As long as the Republicans are so tightly associated with the Christian Right, they will not be given the Jewish vote outside of the Orthodox. However this upcoming election could change things as we have already witnessed a decline in 2008, and it looks like the GOP is steering itself away from their religious right convictions.

If it took this long for liberal Canada to see this shift, it will take several decades, or radical changes in the party system in the US for Jews to start changing their votes.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:18:44 PM »

I'm not sure how accurate the "PCs won Jews in 2007 because of religious schools" thing is. I can understand Orthodox liking it, but would secular/liberal Jews like it?

You explain it then.

I don't have an explanation for it, but I'm just saying that perhaps it isn't the religious schools thing which won so much of them over.

I know a lot of Jews were fascinated by John Tory's Jewish ancestry. At least that's what caught my grandmother's attention.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies