Elizabeth Warren for Senate(?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 11:10:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Elizabeth Warren for Senate(?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren for Senate(?)  (Read 14564 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »

Good, the $5 I pitched in to draft her was worth it!
sg0508
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »

The ceiling for Brown is maybe 54% in MA for a Senate seat.  Given that it's a presidential year, that will make it even harder.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 10:10:21 PM »

Elizabeth Warren's main problem isn't necessarily that Scott Brown is popular, it's that the state Democratic organization is not lined up behind her at all. (National Democrats are the ones pushing Warren.)

Even with a huge financial investment by Democrats here on a national level, Warren still needs to build the local bridges she needs to win. For example: Mayor Menino and Brown are buddy-buddy, which is a big problem for Warren.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2011, 06:23:20 AM »

Best of luck for Warren, but I doubt she'll win. She's too good for the Senate.
Guderian

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2011, 12:35:32 PM »

Watched Warren's announcement video, she seems kind of creepy to me. Has this authoritarian stepmother vibe, but it could just be my rather extreme bias.
Wonkish1

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »

Bureaucrats have never made good campaigners particularly leftist bureaucrats. They want to spend their time wanting to administrate a campaign rather than actually campaign.

It would seem to me that Elizabeth Warren is who you would want to nominate to run through a primary and walk through a general election because they would be really hard to take down for more than a quarter century after they won. They are not the type of person that you put up to try to take down a popular GOP incumbent.

For that you want you the guy or gal that is hitting pavement, podiums, shops, restaurants, and retirement homes 15 hours a day. Do you see Elizabeth Warren doing that?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »

Brown's approvals are coming down and Warren is only down nine in polling with very low name recognition. She has a very good chance at winning the race.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »

Bureaucrats have never made good campaigners particularly leftist bureaucrats. They want to spend their time wanting to administrate a campaign rather than actually campaign.

It would seem to me that Elizabeth Warren is who you would want to nominate to run through a primary and walk through a general election because they would be really hard to take down for more than a quarter century after they won. They are not the type of person that you put up to try to take down a popular GOP incumbent.

For that you want you the guy or gal that is hitting pavement, podiums, shops, restaurants, and retirement homes 15 hours a day. Do you see Elizabeth Warren doing that?

Shaking hands in the cold at Fenway Park? Nah.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »

The ceiling for Brown is maybe 54% in MA for a Senate seat.  Given that it's a presidential year, that will make it even harder.

Yes, in Massachusetts terms such would indeed be a landslide victory.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »

I hear Warren will have to get advce from Red Sox fans since Martha Fenway and Schilling mistake fiasco back in 2010. Red Sox must be so big that even candidates running for office have to mention them.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »

Warren just needs to cultivate a faux-populist image. You know, start driving a truck, say that it's "the people's seat, not Scott Brown's seat", etc.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »

Maybe she should drive that so, you know, to get the youth vote.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »

I hear Warren will have to get advce from Red Sox fans since Martha Fenway and Schilling mistake fiasco back in 2010. Red Sox must be so big that even candidates running for office have to mention them.

They are. If anything that's an understatement.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »

I guess Red Sox fans must be swing voters if candidates have to mention them. I post about this in the "who did the following vote for in elections" thread.

Boston Red Sox fans 50 Dem/50 Republican/50Independent
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »

It would be great but I don't think she can win.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »

I guess Red Sox fans must be swing voters if candidates have to mention them. I post about this in the "who did the following vote for in elections" thread.

No, they're as Democratic as everybody else if the candidate is halfway-decent. The reason why Coakley's attitude towards the Red Sox was so offensive wasn't a simple deficiency of zeal, it was obvious and active disdain for the Red Sox Nation, which does not go over well. The demographics 'Red Sox fans' and 'residents of Massachusetts' are almost identical (well, within Massachusetts they are), with people who care more than that general standard about the Red Sox maybe being a bit more blue-collar and thus receptive to populist rhetoric.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »

No, they're as Democratic as everybody else if the candidate is halfway-decent. The reason why Coakley's attitude towards the Red Sox was so offensive wasn't a simple deficiency of zeal, it was obvious and active disdain for the Red Sox Nation, which does not go over well. The demographics 'Red Sox fans' and 'residents of Massachusetts' are almost identical (well, within Massachusetts they are), with people who care more than that general standard about the Red Sox maybe being a bit more blue-collar and thus receptive to populist rhetoric.

You don't think Red Sox fans would respond too well to libertarian candidates such as Calvin Coolidge if he ever rose from the dead and ran for the U.S senate 2012? What about all the Boston team sport fans since I'm assume they share demographics similar to Red Sox?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 10:16:50 PM »

You don't think Red Sox fans would respond too well to libertarian candidates such as Calvin Coolidge if he ever rose from the dead and ran for the U.S senate 2012? What about all the Boston team sport fans since I'm assume they share demographics similar to Red Sox?

I said populist rhetoric. And other Boston sports teams don't have the same sort of cultus as the Red Sox, but Coakley snubbing the Bruins, Celtics, or Patriots would have hurt too.

Nobody in Massachusetts would support Calvin Coolidge if he rose from the dead and ran for the US Senate 2012.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »

I said populist rhetoric. And other Boston sports teams don't have the same sort of cultus as the Red Sox, but Coakley snubbing the Bruins, Celtics, or Patriots would have hurt too.

Nobody in Massachusetts would support Calvin Coolidge if he rose from the dead and ran for the US Senate 2012.

Sorry, I misquoted your word wrongly. I get what you mean. Working class deems instead of the college educated social liberals. Basically the Southie dems as I call them.

I just use that as a explain seeing that not too many libertarians that done really anything of here in a long long time. And I can point out Paul Tsongas but he was more social liberal, fiscal conservative. Wiliam Weld left to New York but did developed libertarian policy's.
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2011, 12:21:29 AM »

Coakley was cold. Warren is warm.

Personality-wise, Coakley is your Brother-in-Law's mother who acts happy to see you and seems interested in how college is going but you can't be sure if she likes you or if she's just being polite. Warren is that aunt you always want to see around the holidays who is very interested in how things are going for you and asks about your mom.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »

Shannon O'Brien and Jane Swift were warm, it didn't help them much. I think women candidates always have a hard time in Mass and Warren won't be any luckier.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2011, 04:12:51 AM »

Shannon O'Brien and Jane Swift were warm, it didn't help them much. I think women candidates always have a hard time in Mass and Warren won't be any luckier.

Mass must be disgusting rotten pigs that can't get over the fact that it's 2011 and not 1957.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »

Mass must be disgusting rotten pigs that can't get over the fact that it's 2011 and not 1957.

...Uh, no. It's just that the state's dominated by a very old, still quite ethnic machine city.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »

http://twitter.com/#!/ppppolls/status/115805029880958977

Scott Brown's approval with Obama voters in June: 35/48. Brown's approval with Obama voters now: 27/62. It's going to be a race
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »

...Uh, no. It's just that the state's dominated by a very old, still quite ethnic machine city.

You must not get sarcasm.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies