George W. Bush or Barack Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 03:30:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  George W. Bush or Barack Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Who's the better president/Who would you elect knowing what we know now?
George W. Bush

Barack Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: George W. Bush or Barack Obama?  (Read 3530 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »

Bush gets my vote. He's ridiculously under rated.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »

Obama. Bush is unfairly maligned in some areas (I really don't think he was as unmitigatedly awful as Buchanan, for instance) but he was still pretty bad in my opinion.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »

I hope you're not serious.

Obama, of course.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »

Bush
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2011, 12:15:32 PM by Randle Patrick McMurphy »

12 gauge shot to the face/44 magnum shot to the back of the skull

At the time the 12 gauge shot seemed logical, considering the wide spread of a shotgun blast.  However it only left me a rotting living vegetable who looked like that dumbf**k kid who tried to blow his head off after listening to Judas Priest whereas the 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world could blow my head clean off, would've been a lot quicker and painless.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »

Obama by a mile. And Bush deserved the blame he got.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »

Please ban anyone who says Republican hacks dominate this forum.  K?  Thx.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »

Obama!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 02:46:01 PM »

Same--unless a option for ANYONE else exist....
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »

Barack Hussein Obama II
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »

Bush destroyed the country.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 06:18:08 PM »

Obama, though thus far he's been fairly similar to Bush's second term. Oh well.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »

Yes, only the two right-wing choices.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »

I felt a small amount of pity for W at the end, just like I do for Barry.  They both face problems bigger than they are, that are bigger than anyone is.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »

I felt a small amount of pity for W at the end, just like I do for Barry.  They both face problems bigger than they are, that are bigger than anyone is.

Most of Bush's problems were completely of his own making. Granted, he couldn't do much about 9/11 or Katrina, but Iraq was his choice. Turning surpluses into massive deficits was his choice. It's like he went out of his way to detroy America whenever possible. Obama has plenty on his plate, but it's hard to get things done with the GOP trying to stop him every step of the way.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2011, 09:30:21 PM by This is the river of life »

Bush probably wouldn't be too controversial if he had governed the whole time like his second term, his only real conservative accomplishment was his two Supreme Court appointments. One could even make a reasonable argument that he was basically center-left in the second half of it after the Democrats took Congress, his immigration reform plan was certainly less popular amongst Republicans and while there were opponents on both sides to TARP and the bailouts, he worked better with the Democrats on them, not to mention what he did with the auto makers which was almost universally opposed by Republicans, plus some of his actions toward the environment were pretty decent. Democrats just weren't willing to forgive him (rightfully I must add) for Iraq and other things he bungled.

Bush certainly deserves to go down as one of the worst Presidents in US history, but it's not too hard to see him as not too bad in comparison to the Tea Party people. Of course he's largely responsible for their creation as the populist discontent toward his fiscal policies just manifested itself and became the Tea Party while a black Democrat held the presidency. That said Obama is obviously still light years ahead of him.

Perhaps a good analogy is that Bush was Emperor Gestahl and the Tea Party is Kefka?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 09:42:06 PM »

Bush probably wouldn't be too controversial if he had governed the whole time like his second term, his only real conservative accomplishment was his two Supreme Court appointments. One could even make a reasonable argument that he was basically center-left in the second half of it after the Democrats took Congress, his immigration reform plan was certainly less popular amongst Republicans and while there were opponents on both sides to TARP and the bailouts, he worked better with the Democrats on them, not to mention what he did with the auto makers which was almost universally opposed by Republicans, plus some of his actions toward the environment were pretty decent. Democrats just weren't willing to forgive him (rightfully I must add) for Iraq and other things he bungled.

Bush certainly deserves to go down as one of the worst Presidents in US history, but it's not too hard to see him as not too bad in comparison to the Tea Party people. Of course he's largely responsible for their creation as the populist discontent toward his fiscal policies just manifested itself and became the Tea Party while a black Democrat held the presidency. That said Obama is obviously still light years ahead of him.

Perhaps a good analogy is that Bush was Emperor Gestahl and the Tea Party is Kefka?
Bush had exactly 0% to do with the formation of the teabaggers.  They are 100% about being opposed to Obama.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »

Is there an option None of the above?

Like someone else said on here, Obama is a third Bush term. He doesn't lead. All he wants to do is get rid of all the partisanship in Washington, which is a noble cause, but it isn't going to happen and he just needs to realize that the Republicans do not like him and do not want to work with him and only care about his political demise. The sooner he realizes this and flips them the bird and actually starts standing up for principles upon which he was elected, the better off we'll be in the long run.

But Obama knows how to give a good speech and eloquently construct a simple declarative sentence without making any stumbles or grammatical errors, so I guess that gives him a leg up on Dubya.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 10:33:51 PM »

Obama. Whatever one's grievance is with Obama, Bush was clearly very detrimental to the long term good of the country.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »

Well, obviously I wouldn't vote for Bush but he had better judicial choices IMO. And he still spent less and waged less wars in his eight years than Obama's current term even if he technically started the first two wars Obama inherited. So I guess he's better by default.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 11:31:29 PM »

Well, obviously I wouldn't vote for Bush, but he had better judicial choices IMO. And he still spent less and waged fewer wars in his eight years than Obama's current term, even if he technically started the first two wars Obama inherited. So I guess he's better by default.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »

If I had to pick, Bush. However, if I could get Obama with a Republican House and Senate, I might go for that.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 02:31:33 AM »

Here is my honest take on Bush, from a personal perspective.

In 2000, my entire immediate family was for George Bush. My mother was 32 years old, and was a fan of Reagan and loved George H.W. Bush when she was my age. I actually have some memories of her being disappointed as Bill Clinton took office in 1993. She voted for Dole even though the talk was that Clinton would win easy, so 2000 was the first election I REALLY followed. My mother allowed me to miss an hour of school in the morning, November 7, 2000, so I could go into the voting booth with her and she allowed me to punch the ballot for Bush (Apparently a 12-year old in Ohio does it better than Seniors in Florida).

I never really considered the prospect of Bush losing, which looking back, was a bad thing because had he not been elected, my 12 year old heart would have been greatly crushed. I was fed by the fact that all you heard about in the media was Bush, and the fact that since 4th grade, he had been ahead, sometimes massively, in polls.

Examples:

May 1998
USA Today/CNN/Gallup

Bush: 50%
Gore: 46%

September 1999
ABC News/Washington Post

Bush: 56%
Gore: 37%

June 2000
Times Poll

Bush: 50%
Gore: 40%

So in 4th grade, we would discuss in class the likelihood that George W. Bush would be the next President. Then in 5th grade, by September 1999 in Student Council, I knew Bush was almost 20 points ahead of Gore. Then throughout 2000, Bush usually held an edge, sometimes significantly.

It really wasn't until the final months that Gore ended up showing much stronger than anybody thought. I remember Bush campaigning in New Jersey and putting money in California and leading in Illinois and Delaware at times. It was insane. Bush even took a "day off" from campaigning in the final week. A very dangerous strategy.

Anyways, he won and took office. I remember taping the inauguration on NBC (I have the tape and will YouTube it soon, BTW) and my mother came home from work that Saturday and I remember saying, "So I taped President Bush for you. It was the first time I said the name President Bush to her and she smiled. It was great.

Well, the rest of 2001 flew by until September 11th. I remember watching NBC in my Middle School class and wondering what my parents were thinking, ect. Then I thought about Bush and Cheney and to be honest, I don't remember thinking much about politics between the inauguration and 9/11. After that, Bush's support from me only solidified throughout the first term, and then he got re-elected. After that, Iraq got worse, the economy went south, and the 2008 election began almost instantly and my own life got busier. So I think I judge Bush more on the first term and reaction to 9/11 more than anything else.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 07:55:11 AM »

Bush had exactly 0% to do with the formation of the teabaggers.  They are 100% about being opposed to Obama.

Agreed.  I actually think W likes Obama.  And why shouldn't he, Obama's foreign policy is such a stark contrast to Bush's (except Iraq......Bush wanted to do what Obama did in Afghanistan).

Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »

The first tea partiers were libertarians. So unless there is a distinction between tea partier and "teabagger" to you, your statement is false.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies