Ron Paul wants guns on airplanes, racial profiling for freedom
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:52:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Ron Paul wants guns on airplanes, racial profiling for freedom
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ron Paul wants guns on airplanes, racial profiling for freedom  (Read 3708 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »

Meh don't care.

I don't go on those damned airplanes anyway.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »

Only when every American is carrying 3-4 guns at all times in all places will we truly be free. Anyone who disagrees is a statist who hates liberty, obviously.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »

Why the hate on us statists?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »

In the Soviet Union, all pilots were armed. I don't think plane hijackings happened very often.

For everyone to be armed is inviting terrorism. Keeping pilots and stewardesses armed so that defense is possible in the event of terrorism is a lot simpler, and probably more effective, than present airport security procedure.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 02:24:31 PM »

In the Soviet Union, all pilots were armed. I don't think plane hijackings happened very often.

For everyone to be armed is inviting terrorism. Keeping pilots and stewardesses armed so that defense is possible in the event of terrorism is a lot simpler, and probably more effective, than present airport security procedure.

If the private sector  took over airport security, it would be free to allow only pilots, stewardesses, etc to have guns on the plane (I find it absurd that the TSA checks pilots for weaponry too, like they need a gun to hijack their own plane). There might be a higher chance of a terrorist having a gun too because of less intrusive checks, but that terrorist would be less effective with an armed crew. Furthermore, no groping, radiation, etc would be needed.

Don't misinterpret him here; he isn't saying that every airport must allow everyone to stroll onto the plane like a walking armory. He is saying that each individual airport should deal with its own security as opposed to having the TSA grope everyone and fail to catch bombers regardless. It would, if nothing else, be far better than the current system.
t_host1

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 02:42:31 PM »

I'd go with Ron Paul on this issue. and many others
memo to WH/US House budget talks; 90 day phaseout of TSA, that wasn't so hard.

Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:19 PM »

Who is more likely to blow a plane? The Omani exchange student, or the 95 year old grandma from Indiana? Even if the Muslim in question is a loyal American, and even a military vetran, I rather see him be questioned then the Old White lady. Even though he will found perfectly innocent, we must remember Malik Nadal Hassan. It just makes more sense to do it this way.

I agree completely.

We're also profiling young white males, right?  They're much more likely to be domestic terrorists than Muslims are.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »

Who is more likely to blow a plane? The Omani exchange student, or the 95 year old grandma from Indiana? Even if the Muslim in question is a loyal American, and even a military vetran, I rather see him be questioned then the Old White lady. Even though he will found perfectly innocent, we must remember Malik Nadal Hassan. It just makes more sense to do it this way.

I agree completely.

We're also profiling young white males, right?  They're much more likely to be domestic terrorists than Muslims are.

No, Don.  They might believe in Jesus and profiling them would be insensitive.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »

I'm black and Catholic. Suppose I should prepare to be profiled.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 03:09:07 AM »

When it comes to profiling, it would be less "who has a higher chance of having a bomb" and more "who is not going to have a bomb". That precludes mentally sound veterans, little old ladies, infants, the disabled, etc.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 03:32:56 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2011, 03:35:05 AM by sbane »

If there needs to be profiling, it needs to be done in a rational fashion. So a Muslim dude who has lived here for less than 10 years and has managed to visit Yemen and Pakistan 7 times during that period even though he is from Egypt should obviously get pulled over for extra screening. Even if he is wearing a t-shirt with an American flag and shorts he should be screened. On the other hand a Bangladeshi or Indonesian couple, who are Muslims and dressed like it, but have lived in America for more than 30 years and only go back to the country of their origin, perhaps should not be.

Is this really possible though? Do you guys seriously think this can be implemented by either the TSA or the airlines? Are you sure we won't end up with a situation where Indian techies get held up for screening a gazillion times while the Chechnyan terrorist skates by?

An exception for olds is probably the way to go. I wouldn't give an exception for the young mainly because their parents could be terrorists who use their kids to get by security. They are f'ed up people, let's not forget.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »

If there needs to be profiling, it needs to be done in a rational fashion. So a Muslim dude who has lived here for less than 10 years and has managed to visit Yemen and Pakistan 7 times during that period even though he is from Egypt should obviously get pulled over for extra screening. Even if he is wearing a t-shirt with an American flag and shorts he should be screened. On the other hand a Bangladeshi or Indonesian couple, who are Muslims and dressed like it, but have lived in America for more than 30 years and only go back to the country of their origin, perhaps should not be.

Is this really possible though? Do you guys seriously think this can be implemented by either the TSA or the airlines? Are you sure we won't end up with a situation where Indian techies get held up for screening a gazillion times while the Chechnyan terrorist skates by?

An exception for olds is probably the way to go. I wouldn't give an exception for the young mainly because their parents could be terrorists who use their kids to get by security. They are f'ed up people, let's not forget.

How can we tell who is who?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »

A black Catholic Republican from New Jersey.  You're worth more than diamonds.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »

I agree completely.

Given the proportion of Muslims to total population I'd doubt that. not that whether someone is Muslim has anything to do with race or appearance.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »

How can we tell who is who?

It's quite easy to know a person's foreign travel patterns.

As for Indian techie vs Chechnyan terrorist. There is no way to tell who is dangerous and who is not just by looking at them. I don't get why Americans have this fascination with racial profiling. I don't have a problem with profiling the right way, but racial profiling is just another way of placating the masses with no real gains.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »

A black Catholic Republican from New Jersey.  You're worth more than diamonds.

Whose parents are professors at NYU.

I'm fond of your positions.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »

Naturally, every damn Moslem must be automatically under suspicion. Guilty until proven innocent. Long live the freedom!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 07:48:46 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2011, 07:51:42 PM by Simfan34 »

Naturally, every damn Moslem must be automatically under suspicion. Guilty until proven innocent. Long live the freedom!

PROVEN INNOCENT? Don't try to humanize the Mohametans, they're automatically guilty!

Why racial profiling doesn't work.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 12:13:06 PM »

The next time nineteen old ladies or cripples in wheelchairs hijack planes and kill 3000+ people, let me know, K?  Thx.

Stop including them in random screening and wait a month.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »

The next time nineteen old ladies or cripples in wheelchairs hijack planes and kill 3000+ people, let me know, K?  Thx.

Stop including them in random screening and wait a month.

Don't you know Badger there are absolutely no old lady or wheelchair-bound Islamic fundamentalists. None whatsoever.

The best part is there actually HAS been a rather notable wheelchair bound Islamist (a Hamas leader, who was killed by an Israeli missile attack).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2011, 12:26:44 PM by Badger »

But bombs blowing up hidden in a terrorist bum is alot better right? Anyway, I think it would be best to let the airline companies decide what is allowed on flight. Giving pilots guns, at least, should be allowed. Same with pepper spray and tasers.

Pilots, sure, but the rest, no.

Aren't air marshall's already strapped? No one's debating this point. What Paul's arguing for is this.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2011, 02:26:52 PM by Mercenary »

I oppose racial profiling.
As for guns on a plane, that should be the airline's choice.

But I don't think I'd go on a plane that allowed them...
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »

I have an idea, how about we not piss off everyone around the world in the first place?

Guns on planes is a non-issue if you don't have a bunch of religious nutjobs trying to kill a few thousand innocents just to make a point.

Well, less nutjobs, anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies