Could Obama Win OH while losing PA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:16:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Could Obama Win OH while losing PA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Obama Win OH while losing PA?  (Read 2233 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »

Recent polling has him doing consistently better in OH than in PA.  Maybe he could even win OH while losing nationally?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »

How about this vs. Romney?

Bull Moose Base

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 11:05:24 AM »

Extremely doubtful.  If he wins Ohio, he's won them both.  If he loses Pennsylvania, he's lost them both.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »

In the most basic sense, Ohio is sort of a split between a voter universe similar to Indiana and a voter universe similar to Pennsylvania (which itself is a mixture). Unless there are major demographic or structural changes to how politics works in Ohio, for Obama to win Ohio and loose Pennsylvania would imply Obama is doing very well in the parts of the state like Indiana and thus probably doing very well in Indiana. If he's doing well in Indiana this suggests he's doing well with other places like Indiana (aka, farm heavy regions of the country that sometimes vote dem like Iowa and Missouri or even the Dakotas) and probably doesn't need Pennsylvania to win.

For Obama to loose in this situation, as mentioned before, would require major changes in Ohio. If the changes are demographic it would probably mean some sort of mass migration into or out of Ohio. For migration into Ohio the folks would have to be coming for a reason. Perhaps everyone in Detroit finally gives up on the city and moves to Ohio in hopes for a better life. Or some sort of super coal disaster strikes Pittsburgh and they all move to Dayton. These options are very unlikely. For a migration out of Ohio that would tip things to Obama it would mean the most conservative regions of the state depopulate. These are mostly rural or ex/suburb areas. A localized farm crisis might work on the rural regions (very unlikely) but a new housing bust might force people out of ex/suburb areas, but would it be enough to get them to leave the state? Unlikely.

So this leaves a change in the dynamics of Ohio politics that at the same time doesn't come to PA. The nearest thing to that would probably be the anti-union stuff the governor and his cronies have been pushing. But is not this issue observed across the boarder and serve as a warning to what Republicans are really about in union heavy Penn?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »

Extremely doubtful.  If he wins Ohio, he's won them both.  If he loses Pennsylvania, he's lost them both.

And... half an hour after I write this, a poll comes out showing his approvals lower in PA than OH.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »

Yes but unlikely.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »

No. As Joementum said, if he wins OH, there's no way he loses PA, and if he loses PA, there's no way he wins OH.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »

Maybe in an election as close as 2000. 
DS0816
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »

Re: Could Obama Win OH while losing PA?

No.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 02:55:29 PM »

Lose. Lose. Lose.

No loose.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 05:13:13 PM »

Barring extraneous goings on, no.  OH goes GOP before PA.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 11:23:46 AM »

Pretty much zero chance of happening. My first thought of an explanation for how this might be possible is some kind of mega-failure by Kasich (Senate Bill 5 isn't even close to enough), but not even Taft was bad enough to do this and in '04 Bush won Ohio and lost PA. Kasich cannot possibly be more unpopular than Taft, so no.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 09:42:48 PM »

Unlikely
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »

Yes, if there is someone from PA on the GOP ticket.  You could get a favorite son effect.

I think if that would happen, Obama would win reelection. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »

Yes, if there is someone from PA on the GOP ticket.  You could get a favorite son effect.

But that won't happen. Ridge? No pro-choicers need apply. Santorum? Just no. There are at least a dozen other more politically relevent choices available to appease social conservatives, and Santorum's performance in the primaries isn't about to change that calculus. Toomey? Meh, a far outside shot maybe notwithstanding his recent election since he served a few terms in the House, but unless the sole goal of the nominee's Veep choice is "to maximize my shot at PA" there's just no compelling reason to pick him over at least a dozen other more prominent conservatives.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 08:37:14 AM »

Absolutely not.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 08:52:53 AM »

But that won't happen. Ridge? No pro-choicers need apply. Santorum? Just no. There are at least a dozen other more politically relevent choices available to appease social conservatives, and Santorum's performance in the primaries isn't about to change that calculus. Toomey? Meh, a far outside shot maybe notwithstanding his recent election since he served a few terms in the House, but unless the sole goal of the nominee's Veep choice is "to maximize my shot at PA" there's just no compelling reason to pick him over at least a dozen other more prominent conservatives.

I think that depends on who the nominee is.  I would say, however, that Ridge, Toomey, Santorum, and Corbett could be that person.  BTW, there was no "compelling" reason to choose Biden (except he'd help in PA).  And, for political "odd couples," Reagan/Bush.

That is the only way I could see Obama losing PA, while winning OH.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »

I think that depends on who the nominee is.  I would say, however, that Ridge, Toomey, Santorum, and Corbett could be that person.  BTW, there was no "compelling" reason to choose Biden (except he'd help in PA).  And, for political "odd couples," Reagan/Bush.

That is the only way I could see Obama losing PA, while winning OH.

First off, to address Corbett, while not as unpopular as Kasich, Walker, Scott, et al, he's not exactly helpful there. Likewise with the fact he's been governor for less than 2 years and is as white bread as they come.

Secondly, you couldn't be more wrong about Biden or Bush. Biden had serious foriegn policy credentials and nearly 30 years in the Senate to counter act charges of inexperience; his working class background was compelling and fit Obama's campaign narrative like a glove, and when he can stay on message he's an effective campaigner. Bush helped unite the party and appease moderates who (correctly) suspected he was too extreme a conservative.

The potential PA veep choices carry no benefits beyond geography, especially compared to numerous other more viable options.
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »

The last time Ohio went Democrat while Pennsylvania went Republican was in 1948. That election was between Truman and Dewey; a Midwestern Democrat against a Yankee Republican. If 2012 happens to be Obama against Romney that would be basically the same set-up although it does not mean the results will turn out OH going Democrat and PA going Republican. What is strange however is that so far the polls are showing Obama is stronger in Ohio than Pennsylvania now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies