Is this a realistic 1968 map RFK-Nixon-Wallace? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:43:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Is this a realistic 1968 map RFK-Nixon-Wallace? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this a realistic 1968 map RFK-Nixon-Wallace?  (Read 2273 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« on: July 11, 2011, 10:26:56 AM »

I would say both maps are fairly realistic. While RFK won the IN primary convincingly IOTL, 500,000 more Republicans voted for Nixon alone than in the Democratic primary. So scratch Indiana.

Kennedy wins Ohio and can win California if he nearly burns himself out (as happened in the primary IOTL) stumping the state when possible, plus a more efficient GOTV machine. Ultimately CA hangs on GOTV, particularly in LA County for RFK and NoCa for Nixon.

Kennedy-Wallace: Many Northern and Midwestern WWC voters who voted Wallace in the general voted for RFK in the primary and adamantly refused to consider Nixon. I don't recall any stats being done but numerous anecdotal sources, both primary and secondary, suggest that the number was significant. It was a cultural/personal vote thing, BTW.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »

Personally I think Sanders would be a better pick for RFK's Veep. Somewhere in between the Old and New South on racial issues, plus the same age as RFK and not tarred as a traitor like Sanford. But that's just me- partially because so many RFK TLs (and Dem victory '68 TLs generally) have Sanford as VP.

Also: NJ is a possible RFK pickup due to his strength among WWCs, especially Catholics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies