LOL, Michele Bachmann's hypocrisy and stupidity yet again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:29:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  LOL, Michele Bachmann's hypocrisy and stupidity yet again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LOL, Michele Bachmann's hypocrisy and stupidity yet again  (Read 2708 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »

She voted against limiting funding for US operations in Libya: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll494.xml

Yet also voted against giving authorization for the operation in Libya: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll493.xml

Granted she's far from the only hypocrite in Congress as both of these resolutions failed though it makes little sense to oppose both, but noteworthy. Also something she'll no doubt come under fire on from the pro-Gaddafi Tea Party.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »

If such behavior didn't so augur tragedy it would be 'mere' comic ineptitude.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:26:16 PM »

I'm not sure that her objections are quite the same, but I asked a similar question elsewhere:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?300426-Why-did-Ron-Paul-vote-against-limiting-funds-for-Libya
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:39:30 PM »

It's ok to vote to make an anti Obama statement but they are too wussy to be seen to vote anti military.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 01:28:28 AM »

Also something she'll no doubt come under fire on from the pro-Gaddafi Tea Party.
Well with that solid logic we can assume that becuase you are not (not that I have seen at least) calling for the US and others to bomb the crap out of every country with a brutal dictator, you must be pro-[insert regime].
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:02:42 AM »

Couldn't it just be that she thinks the operation should be cancelled but that if it isn't she wants it to be funded?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 05:28:44 AM »

Couldn't it just be that she thinks the operation should be cancelled but that if it isn't she wants it to be funded?
No, I don't see how anyone can think anybody thought far beyond (insert TexasGurl's post here). Certainly not Bachmann, who is quite stunningly dim.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 08:53:46 AM »

Bingo

Look, I would have voted to give authorization and voted against limiting funding. I think this is known by now that I'm unfortunately in the minority in my party. That being said, BRTD was blatantly disingenuous to score political points. Look at the order of the roll call. Naturally, people opposed to the mission will first vote against giving authorization. If authorization is granted, however, that can and should sway people to vote against limiting funding because the operation is happening regardless. That's what Bachmann did. It isn't hypocritical.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »

The bigger question for me after reading this thread is:

Why the hell would somebody post on the "Ron Paul Forums"?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 09:25:29 AM »

Bingo

Look, I would have voted to give authorization and voted against limiting funding. I think this is known by now that I'm unfortunately in the minority in my party. That being said, BRTD was blatantly disingenuous to score political points. Look at the order of the roll call. Naturally, people opposed to the mission will first vote against giving authorization. If authorization is granted, however, that can and should sway people to vote against limiting funding because the operation is happening regardless. That's what Bachmann did. It isn't hypocritical.

Actually, a correction on my part: I was briefly under the impression that the House rejected both resolutions. Since the resolution against authorization did pass, the vote against defunding the operation makes far less sense. The only possible justification I could see is if Bachmann and others voted against authorization as simply a protest vote, believing that the operation was going to continue anyway (since the President claims that he doesn't have to consult Congress on this to begin with) but didn't want to defund the operation because of the reality of the matter.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »

Reminds me of the debate. I'll push for a Constitutional amendment, but I won't go to the states to overturn their gay marriage laws...mhm...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »

Got a call from her people today while I was at Wal-Mart.  First one from that campaign.  Actually, I got the call while I was walking across the parking lot from my car to the store in the rain.  And I was holding the umbrella and I had my phone in my backpack and I didn't want to bother answering it in the rain.  But when I got inside, I checked the phone and I had a missed call from the 202 area code.  I thought that was Washington.  So I'd assumed it was Ron Paul again.  They have called three times.  Then I had a new message and I checked it and it was Michele Bachmann's campaign reminding me that she was born and raised seven miles from where I live, and that she would be around tomorrow about 5:30 to answer questions.  So they were hoping that they could count on me to come and cheer her on.

I'm sure I'll skip it, but sometimes it's just nice to be asked.
HST1948

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:29:17 PM »

I agree with this.  Now, I don't know what Michele Bachmann's reasoning was and I hate to defend her but. But, I would have voted against authorizing this operation, but I would vote to continue to fund the operation.  The reason is that if some or all of the funds are cut off, it is our troops who suffer and in the end we do a half ass job on the mission, which leads to more issues in the future. 
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »

Bachmann voted for funding the war before she voted against it!
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »

Got a call from her people today while I was at Wal-Mart.  First one from that campaign.  Actually, I got the call while I was walking across the parking lot from my car to the store in the rain.  And I was holding the umbrella and I had my phone in my backpack and I didn't want to bother answering it in the rain.  But when I got inside, I checked the phone and I had a missed call from the 202 area code.  I thought that was Washington.  So I'd assumed it was Ron Paul again.  They have called three times.  Then I had a new message and I checked it and it was Michele Bachmann's campaign reminding me that she was born and raised seven miles from where I live, and that she would be around tomorrow about 5:30 to answer questions.  So they were hoping that they could count on me to come and cheer her on.

We got that call today too, my brother and I are considering protest/causing a scene there
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »

Ha.  I'll look for you on the Channel 7 news tonight! 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »

Got a call from her people today while I was at Wal-Mart.  First one from that campaign.  Actually, I got the call while I was walking across the parking lot from my car to the store in the rain.  And I was holding the umbrella and I had my phone in my backpack and I didn't want to bother answering it in the rain.  But when I got inside, I checked the phone and I had a missed call from the 202 area code.  I thought that was Washington.  So I'd assumed it was Ron Paul again.  They have called three times.  Then I had a new message and I checked it and it was Michele Bachmann's campaign reminding me that she was born and raised seven miles from where I live, and that she would be around tomorrow about 5:30 to answer questions.  So they were hoping that they could count on me to come and cheer her on.

We got that call today too, my brother and I are considering protest/causing a scene there

Nothing but praise this morning in the WCF Courier and on KWWL.com.  "yee hah!  She's from here and I'm from here, so I support her."  That sort of thing.  Black Hawk county GOP chairman falling all over himself for a photo op with Bachmann.  Lots of flesh-pressing.  Good times.

So you guys chickened out?  Or maybe figured you had something better to do with your time?
milhouse24
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »

Romney should hope Bachman wins Iowa, because he can beat her everywhere else and in South Carolina.  Everyone else will fade after Iowa, and Romney will win the nomination.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »

Got a call from her people today while I was at Wal-Mart.  First one from that campaign.  Actually, I got the call while I was walking across the parking lot from my car to the store in the rain.  And I was holding the umbrella and I had my phone in my backpack and I didn't want to bother answering it in the rain.  But when I got inside, I checked the phone and I had a missed call from the 202 area code.  I thought that was Washington.  So I'd assumed it was Ron Paul again.  They have called three times.  Then I had a new message and I checked it and it was Michele Bachmann's campaign reminding me that she was born and raised seven miles from where I live, and that she would be around tomorrow about 5:30 to answer questions.  So they were hoping that they could count on me to come and cheer her on.

Nothing but praise this morning in the WCF Courier and on KWWL.com.  "yee hah!  She's from here and I'm from here, so I support her."  That sort of thing.  Black Hawk county GOP chairman falling all over himself for a photo op with Bachmann.  Lots of flesh-pressing.  Good times.

So you guys chickened out?  Or maybe figured you had something better to do with your time?
No clue where my brother was so couldn't get a ride, and I don't have my car up here with me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 07:37:23 PM »

Romney should hope Bachman wins Iowa, because he can beat her everywhere else and in South Carolina.  Everyone else will fade after Iowa, and Romney will win the nomination.

If only Bachman and Romney are left by the time South Carolina holds its primary, Bachman wins.  Romney needs there to be at a minimum two other candidates for the Tea Party/Fundamentalist to split their votes on to have a hope of winning the SC GOP primary.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:55 PM »

Nothing but praise this morning in the WCF Courier and on KWWL.com.  "yee hah!  She's from here and I'm from here, so I support her."  That sort of thing.  Black Hawk county GOP chairman falling all over himself for a photo op with Bachmann.  Lots of flesh-pressing.  Good times.

So you guys chickened out?  Or maybe figured you had something better to do with your time?
No clue where my brother was so couldn't get a ride, and I don't have my car up here with me.

We have a fairly decent public bus system here in BH county.  At least enough to get you from CF to Waterloo.  I guess you're in Bremer or somewhere north.  Tellyawhat, if you're in need of a ride to any Ron Paul events here or in Waverly, let me know.  If I'm sober and planning on attending, I'll come get you.  But you gotta be cool.  No protesting Ron Paul. 
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »

Does everyone in Iowa get calls like that around this time, or just reliable Republican voters/caucus goers? Same for Democrats in reverse.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 08:24:33 PM »

Does everyone in Iowa get calls like that around this time, or just reliable Republican voters/caucus goers? Same for Democrats in reverse.

I have asked around.  Some get 'em.  Some don't.  I'm a registered Republican in a year with a contested and open primary, so I ugess I get courted.  I don't know what info they have, but I live in a white-collar neighborhood.  My neighbors are attorneys, engineers, an anasthesiologist, a dentist, etc.  So maybe that sort of info is available to them.  I also attended the last BH county caucus, and caucuses are hardly private affairs.  Everyone knows you voted and everyone knows how you voted.  My educational level and income puts me among those who are more likely to vote than not.  I pretty much have a target painted on my forehead and a Kick Me sign on my back.  I assume such information is easy to come by. 

I should just cut out the middleman and put a sign in my yard that says, "Opinionated, socially concerned, economically-stable, white, male, educated, Republican voter who has voted in previous Caucus lives here.  Please ring doorbell and call often, especially during dinner time." 

They probably do not have any information about whether I own a gun, though.  There's a good chance that a White Male Republican is also a paranoid survivalist, armed to the teeth.  This may explain why they only call, but never come to my house.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 02:05:49 PM »

Reminds me of the debate. I'll push for a Constitutional amendment, but I won't go to the states to overturn their gay marriage laws...mhm...

Until she corrected herself, I was thinking "Michele Bachmann is the most liberal person on this issue"... we're doomed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies