If US politicians were Canadian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:40:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If US politicians were Canadian
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: If US politicians were Canadian  (Read 4084 times)
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:55:53 AM »

Impress by the  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=136428.0

Michele Bachmann-Canada Alliance conservative

Sarah Palin-Same as Bachmann

Ron Paul-Libertarian party of Canada

Joe Biden-Liberal

John Conyers-NDP

Barney Frank- Probably NDP

Harry Reid-Liberal

Paul Ryan-Conservative

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:07:27 AM »

CCRAP doesn't exist anymore, although the Conservative party is basically it in all but name only.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:18:14 PM »

CCRAP doesn't exist anymore, although the Conservative party is basically it in all but name only.

I know that already. It just Bachmann and Palin are Canada Alliance style conservatives that would be in the Conservative party.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »

I know that already. It just Bachmann and Palin are Canada Alliance style conservatives that would be in the Conservative party.

I doubt politicians like Bachmann or Palin could exist anywhere outside the United States.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »

I doubt politicians like Bachmann or Palin could exist anywhere outside the United States.

The rural west has some, I'm sure.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »

There are areas where they could win, for sure... but if they were Tory MPs, Harper would keep them quiet. In fact, there are many MPs with similar values.  Rob Anders comes to mind. Then there's Cheryl Gallant, who is probably a better example.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »

In places like Alberta, both ladies can fit right in with the conservatives.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 02:04:24 PM »

George W Bush-Conservative

Clint Eastwood-Libertarian party of Canada

Hilary Clinton-Liberal
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 03:07:41 AM »

Really the only prominent Republican of the last century who I can imagine as a Liberal would be Eisenhower; all the rest (and certainly all Republicans today) would be Tories. The vast majority of Democrats would be Liberals; the only exceptions would be politicians closely linked to the labor movement (like John Dingell), urban leftists (Barbara Lee), and the occasional rural westerner (Brian Schweitzer), all of whom would be NDP.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »

Really the only prominent Republican of the last century who I can imagine as a Liberal would be Eisenhower

Does Lincoln Chafee count? How about Gerald Ford? Or Rockefeller?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 11:22:22 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2011, 11:25:05 AM by Verily »

Really the only prominent Republican of the last century who I can imagine as a Liberal would be Eisenhower

Definitely all PC before 1993. After 1993, defect to the Liberals at some point (like Garth Turner or Scott Brison). Only Jim Jeffords can I imagine starting out as a Liberal, and others in that mold like John Anderson.

(This is a little bit altered by the fact that the Republicans were traditionally dominant in the Northeastern US, while the Liberals were dominant in the historically similar Maritimes. Chafee might have begun as a Liberal--but only if his father had also been a Liberal.)
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 02:51:07 PM »

Lincoln Chafee might be liberal but Gerald Ford and Rockefeller are PC before Reform Party.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »

There is already one if you head an hour west of Ottawa and there a sh**tload of PurgaTory MPs who are insane.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »

There is already one if you head an hour west of Ottawa and there a sh**tload of PurgaTory MPs who are insane.

Maybe I underestimate the rural West in Canada, but are there Tory MPs that openly call for the abolition of single payer healthcare, for example? (Not that I support single payer....but you'd have a hard time finding Tories in the UK that oppose the NHS, for example)
JonBidinger
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »

Al Franken, Sherrod Brown, Bernie Sanders - NDP?
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »

Al Franken, Sherrod Brown, Bernie Sanders - NDP?

I would have to say they are all NDP if they were in Canada, so I would go with a yes on that question.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »

Maybe I underestimate the rural West in Canada, but are there Tory MPs that openly call for the abolition of single payer healthcare, for example?

Yes, not openly. Smiley But the party knows how to keep them quiet and irrelevant.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 11:28:43 PM »

Franken would unquestionably be a Liberal. He'd frequently piss off the party leadership and attack them from the right, and would no doubt belong to the provincial NDP in British Columbia, but demographically he is as Liberal as it gets. Or would've been, he'd be leaving that sinking ship after the last election.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 11:39:58 PM »

This is what Minnesota would look like:

Well assuming there was IRV or something, due to vote splitting the Conservatives would win just about every county with FPTP, everything except the Twin Cities and Iron Range counties.

That's also largely a guess in a lot of cases, there's some quirky voting patterns in Canada that are tough to put in an American context (No one would consider Newfoundland to be a stronghold for the type of American politicians the Liberals are associated with for example.) Also that's for elections up until last, where just about all the red counties would flip orange except for that continuous band in southeastern Minnesota, Olmsted might flip back to Conservative as it would've voted for generations. That belt running from Freeborn to the border would probably be one of the last Liberal areas to drop, they're not voting Conservative because the part is made up of religious fanatic and hyper-capitalist nutjobs and dominated by the exurbs and don't want to vote NDP because it's mostly urban (small l) liberals and miners from far away who are out of touch with them. They'd flip NDP in the event of the Liberals actually folding though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 12:13:33 AM »

Hmm. I would've gathered that the NDP would be quite strong in Minnesota. Certainly not in Montana like Xahar suggested.

The NDP would probably do the best in Vermont, and would have strong parties in Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Michigan, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Washington, Oregon, California.. and maybe Hawaii.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 12:21:11 AM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »

Hmm. I would've gathered that the NDP would be quite strong in Minnesota.

That map is kind of misleading, just like the Democratic vs. Republican map most of those blue counties aren't very populated. Hennepin would be close between the NDP and Liberals too. But I don't see much reason for those agrian counties to vote NDP, there simply isn't any such NDP-voting area in Canada.

Certainly not in Montana like Xahar suggested.

It makes sense if you take note of who the people who are actually Democrats in Montana are.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 12:37:17 AM »

Hmm. I would've gathered that the NDP would be quite strong in Minnesota.

That map is kind of misleading, just like the Democratic vs. Republican map most of those blue counties aren't very populated. Hennepin would be close between the NDP and Liberals too. But I don't see much reason for those agrian counties to vote NDP, there simply isn't any such NDP-voting area in Canada.

Certainly not in Montana like Xahar suggested.

It makes sense if you take note of who the people who are actually Democrats in Montana are.

Maybe, but I always thought of Montana was like Alberta, politically, but perhaps it's more similar to the B.C. Interior.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »

Massachusetts would  frequently vote Liberal/NDP if this was seat up like Canada system. The more blue collar would go to liberal, where the intellectual latte progressives will vote for the NDP. The Conservatives won't have any chance at all in the most of the Northeast and West Coast.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »

There's nowhere in Canada with voting patterns like that.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies