PA Gubernatorial Race 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:32:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA Gubernatorial Race 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29
Author Topic: PA Gubernatorial Race 2006  (Read 93025 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: December 20, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »

Scranton wins endorsement vote...if held today.

http://harrisburgbuzz.blogspot.com/2005/12/swann-easy-come-easy-go.html
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #551 on: December 20, 2005, 05:15:11 PM »

I think I've decided to back Swann and Matthews, simply because they're the best possible ticket left.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #552 on: December 20, 2005, 05:19:01 PM »

I think I've decided to back Swann and Matthews, simply because they're the best possible ticket left.

I've been on board with Swann for awhile. I've been leaning towards Matthews and I'll likely end up supporting him because of the regional advantage and Turzai's support for Scranton.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #553 on: December 21, 2005, 04:11:31 AM »

I've been on board with Swann for awhile. I've been leaning towards Matthews and I'll likely end up supporting him because of the regional advantage and Turzai's support for Scranton.

I'm more afraid of Scranton than Swann.  The question I have is will the pro-choice Southeastern Republicans show party loyalty and back Scranton like they did in 1986.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #554 on: December 21, 2005, 03:03:21 PM »

I'm more afraid of Scranton than Swann.  The question I have is will the pro-choice Southeastern Republicans show party loyalty and back Scranton like they did in 1986.

They will see no reason to leave someone they already like for someone so similar.

Some news - Rendell leads Scranton and Swann by single digits while blowing Piccola and Paynard out of the water - http://www.strategicvision.biz/political/pa_poll_1221.htm

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #555 on: December 22, 2005, 03:53:16 PM »

Both Swann and Piccola have endorsed Matthews for Lt. Governor. It looks like the unofficial tickets (Since we have a seperate primary for Governor and Lt. Governor) will be Swann/Matthews and Scranton/Turzai.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #556 on: December 22, 2005, 04:25:58 PM »

I just received an e-mail from the Swann campaign. He said that he will "embark on a historic journey to change Pennsylvania" on January 4th. Seems that that's an obvious announcement of candidacy date.
No, it sounds like he's going to convert to Islam and complete the Hajj. Roll Eyes Wink

Anyways, December has been a dull month for this race... Sad
yeah it has. I hope Jan. brings some interesting news (which im sure it will)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #557 on: January 04, 2006, 09:25:23 PM »

It was made official today. Check out Swann's updated website.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #558 on: January 05, 2006, 04:11:58 AM »

Hmm...toss up between party and region.

Not sure how I'll vote yet on this one.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #559 on: January 05, 2006, 10:53:35 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2006, 11:32:22 AM by Mike Naso »

I am a Swann supporter for sure now...and he can beat Rendell if PA fights enough. He maybe in his mid-50's, but he has the charisma of a 30 year old. Nice family, good public speaker....Swann for Governor. If he's elected governor, he can probably get the state prosperous more so than it is under Rendell.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #560 on: January 05, 2006, 11:56:34 AM »

It was made official today. Check out Swann's updated website.
I saw it last night on ESPN news.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #561 on: January 05, 2006, 04:26:21 PM »

I so far see Ed Rendell winning... Not by double digits as some have suggested, though.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #562 on: January 05, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »

I am a Swann supporter for sure now...and he can beat Rendell if PA fights enough. He maybe in his mid-50's, but he has the charisma of a 30 year old. Nice family, good public speaker....Swann for Governor. If he's elected governor, he can probably get the state prosperous more so than it is under Rendell.

Um, Swann cannot make PA much more prosperous than we already are. That is, unless he suddenly finds a few million orders for steel.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #563 on: January 05, 2006, 10:24:16 PM »

Scranton/Turzai just made me fear the Swann ticket a bit more.  Scranton should pick Matthews and that ticket would be lethal in the Southeast. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #564 on: January 07, 2006, 12:03:15 PM »

Scranton/Turzai just made me fear the Swann ticket a bit more.  Scranton should pick Matthews and that ticket would be lethal in the Southeast. 

It will be Swann/Matthews. How much difference could Scranton make in SE PA? Moderate Republicans (Rendell Republicans) would see no reason for leaving Eddie.

And both of us know that you're pushing it with this "lethal" stuff. You know that no team (Not even with someone like Castor on the ticket) could be "lethal" here against Rendell. Scranton is not some star.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #565 on: January 07, 2006, 12:35:32 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2006, 01:43:08 PM by nickshepDEM »

I like Swann.  Probably wouldnt vote for him, but he seems like a genuinely down to earth, good guy.

My only question is, can he talk issues, policy, and debate with a professional politician like Rendell?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #566 on: January 07, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »

My only question is, can he talk issues, policy, and debate with a professional politician like Rendell?

He seems to be a good speaker but we haven't really seen him in action. Many seem concerned about his knowledge of the issues and his debating skills but I think people are underestimating him. The first debate is coming up soon (Primary candidates) so we will see.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #567 on: January 07, 2006, 02:53:03 PM »

He seems to be a good speaker but we haven't really seen him in action. Many seem concerned about his knowledge of the issues and his debating skills but I think people are underestimating him. The first debate is coming up soon (Primary candidates) so we will see.

I think Swann is going to have trouble with Rendell on issues, but you can't underestimate Swann's charisma and the ability to railroad himself through a deabte.  I still think Rendell will beat Swann but by about 6-8.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #568 on: January 08, 2006, 04:09:04 AM »

It's not like he was getting far anyway but the news of the night - Jeff Piccola is OUT of the Gubernatorial race, calling for unity against Rendell.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #569 on: January 08, 2006, 05:50:04 PM »

Turzai is an interesting surname. Where are that guy's ancestors from?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #570 on: January 09, 2006, 03:26:30 AM »

Apologize if this has been discussed, but what is with Rendell havina PA red in his banners.  Is it some sort of coincidence or some other message?  Just wondering because  the red state like that could imply close to Bush.  Which is not a good idea considering Bush's ugly PA numbers.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #571 on: January 09, 2006, 05:32:42 AM »

The is elephant in the parlor that no one talking about, race.  If Swan can get a proportion of the African American vote in Phila, better than Bush's, it suddenly becomes a dead even race.  He gets 25% of the Black vote, holds Fisher's base, Swan wins.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #572 on: January 09, 2006, 03:24:40 PM »

Apologize if this has been discussed, but what is with Rendell havina PA red in his banners.  Is it some sort of coincidence or some other message?  Just wondering because  the red state like that could imply close to Bush.  Which is not a good idea considering Bush's ugly PA numbers.

1) I haven't even seen an official banner for him yet.

2) I don't even think most people like ourselves read that much into those things. The average voter especially doesn't do that.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #573 on: January 09, 2006, 06:31:50 PM »

The is elephant in the parlor that no one talking about, race.  If Swan can get a proportion of the African American vote in Phila, better than Bush's, it suddenly becomes a dead even race.  He gets 25% of the Black vote, holds Fisher's base, Swan wins.

Not necessarily...it certainly gives him a good, if not great shot, but the way the state demographics change (more people in the philly burbs, less in the west, year in and year out) could dampen that strategy...which likely means Swann has to reach out a tad (since his base is sorta shrinking, if ever so slightly in the last 4 years)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #574 on: January 09, 2006, 07:11:14 PM »

I think that would be quite hard for him to do.  Being African American may help him pull in a bit more of the Philly black vote than Bush did, but its highley unlikley he will get 25%.  One factor is African Americans in Philly just like most the country are very heavily Democratic, and African American republicans generally don't do that will with African Americans (look at the numbers Steele is getting froM African American's in a race against Cardin).  Another key factor why it will be very hard for Swann to pull that off is the fact that Rendell is very very  popular in Philadelphia across all racial lines & has has very strong African American support in the city.  Now if Rendell wasn't as popular in Philly as he is, didn't have the past connections to the city even before being Govenor as he has than their might be a better shot. 

In order to win Swann would pretty much need 25% of the African American Philly vote.  Simply being African American isn't going to get him that.  Swann being a Republican greatly hurts him at acheving that as does Rendell's immense popularity in the city, his past connections to the city, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies