PA Gubernatorial Race 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:48:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA Gubernatorial Race 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 29
Author Topic: PA Gubernatorial Race 2006  (Read 92995 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: October 27, 2005, 06:25:32 PM »

No. I've only been out to Harrisburg once and that was about two years ago.
ah. You should have been there. It was fun. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #501 on: November 01, 2005, 11:37:50 AM »

Looks like we have two third party candidacies now - http://www.hagan4gov.com/index_001.htm
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #502 on: November 01, 2005, 10:30:03 PM »

Swann is backed by the Chester County GOP - http://www.lynnswannteam88.com/Video/View.aspx?ID=22
danwxman

« Reply #503 on: November 01, 2005, 10:51:57 PM »

He might have a better chance if he learns to spell Harrisburg correctly.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #504 on: November 01, 2005, 10:55:06 PM »

rofl.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #505 on: November 11, 2005, 02:22:01 PM »

Rendell is still in trouble; Scranton takes lead in GOP primary

http://politicspa.com/temp/keystone1105.htm
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #506 on: November 12, 2005, 01:08:20 PM »

A new Rasmussen Reports Poll:
500 likely voters

Lynn Swann (R) 36%
Ed Rendell (D) 50%

Bill Scranton III (R) 39%
Ed Rendell (D) 47%

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2005/Pennsylvania%20Governor%20November%2012.htm
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #507 on: November 12, 2005, 01:11:40 PM »

I saw that one the other day. I don't buy the fact that Scranton is losing by eight and Swann is losing by fourteen. It should be the other way around. Swann would be a powerful force, especially out west, in the general whereas Scranton is just...he's just there. I'm glad they're no longer wasting time asking how people feel about Piccola. The man is a joke. He's constantly around 5%. I can't wait until he drops out.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #508 on: November 12, 2005, 01:28:15 PM »

I pray Scranton is the GOP nominee, that way his "cult" status is brought to the state's attention.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #509 on: November 12, 2005, 01:30:39 PM »

I pray Scranton is the GOP nominee, that way his "cult" status is brought to the state's attention.

That's exactly why the man won't be the nominee. I fear he still has some influence over some of the older state committee members but it's going to come down to a conservative values fight. Scranton can't win there. I don't really buy that he is in the lead for the nomination at this point either. Sure he just announced and has been criss-crossing the state. He's a visible candidate but Swann probably still has a slight edge. Wait until his official announcement.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #510 on: November 12, 2005, 03:49:29 PM »

That's exactly why the man won't be the nominee. I fear he still has some influence over some of the older state committee members but it's going to come down to a conservative values fight. Scranton can't win there. I don't really buy that he is in the lead for the nomination at this point either. Sure he just announced and has been criss-crossing the state. He's a visible candidate but Swann probably still has a slight edge. Wait until his official announcement.

I don't know.  From what I've been hearing, I think Scranton could do the most damage in Southeastern PA.  Usually, the Heinz-Specter wing of the Republican party is usually unstoppable in PA politics.  Swann will be called out fast.  He is a nothing candidate with a star name.  People are sick of Schwarzenegger and Swann very much fits that mold. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #511 on: November 13, 2005, 12:56:09 PM »

I don't know.  From what I've been hearing, I think Scranton could do the most damage in Southeastern PA.  Usually, the Heinz-Specter wing of the Republican party is usually unstoppable in PA politics.  Swann will be called out fast.  He is a nothing candidate with a star name.  People are sick of Schwarzenegger and Swann very much fits that mold. 

How are they unstoppable? Did you see the Senate primary in '04? Do you really think moderate to liberal Republicans dominate? The state committee stage will be tough. Swann can win the primary.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #512 on: November 13, 2005, 04:09:24 PM »

How are they unstoppable? Did you see the Senate primary in '04? Do you really think moderate to liberal Republicans dominate? The state committee stage will be tough. Swann can win the primary.

I'm talking about in the general election.  Heinz-Ridge-Specter Republicans scare me the most electorally in general elections, not necessarily on policy.  Pat Toomey would have gone down in flames had hem made the general election.  Specter got a lot of votes that would have easily went to Hoeffel had Toomey been the nominee.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #513 on: November 13, 2005, 04:31:35 PM »

I'm talking about in the general election.  Heinz-Ridge-Specter Republicans scare me the most electorally in general elections, not necessarily on policy.  Pat Toomey would have gone down in flames had hem made the general election.  Specter got a lot of votes that would have easily went to Hoeffel had Toomey been the nominee.

How can you say that? The Lehigh Valley would go for Toomey (went for Rendell in '02) and the west accepted him last year. He was a force out there and that doesn't mean that just Republicans saw it. Just because SEPA doesn't welcome someone with open arms doesn't mean that candidate would lose.

Also, a good amount of Specter votes would have went for Hoeffel had Toomey been the nominee but Toomey would also pick up Clymer votes.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #514 on: November 13, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »

This is one of my favorite things about Pennsylvania politics. Things change so fast. Tongue I remember about half-way through 2004, newspapers all across the state were mentioning Toomey as a potential gubernatorial candidate, and how Barbara Hafer was considered the shoe-in Democratic nominee v. Santorum. Cheesy

And Phil, did you ever consider starting a petition for Bruce Castor? You could link to it on the SEPTARS site, you could get other sites to link to it, and you'd have over a thousand signatures in no time. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #515 on: November 13, 2005, 04:56:41 PM »

And Phil, did you ever consider starting a petition for Bruce Castor? You could link to it on the SEPTARS site, you could get other sites to link to it, and you'd have over a thousand signatures in no time. Smiley

Castor is not going to run. That's been over and done with for months. I'm focused on Swann as the nominee.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #516 on: November 13, 2005, 04:58:43 PM »

Castor is not going to run. That's been over and done with for months. I'm focused on Swann as the nominee.
I mean for Lt. Governor or what ever it was you were touting him for.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #517 on: November 13, 2005, 05:02:52 PM »

I mean for Lt. Governor or what ever it was you were touting him for.

I wanted him for Governor but that never happened. Lt. Governor won't work either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #518 on: November 14, 2005, 01:05:55 AM »

It's weird how we were talking about the committee endorsement process and this news broke - http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/opinion/columnists/whispers/s_393706.html

Toomey for State Committee Chair? Now that would be something. Think about it - He'd have a whole new sense of power when it comes to races in PA especially the upcoming Gubernatorial race and would be able to keep in touch in an even greater sense with the party for his future run for office (very likely Senate run in 2010). I'd love to see it happen but the problems remain that being head of the Club for Growth is a powerful position that is not easy to walk away from and he'd have to put up a fight (though he could win) against the current establishment that isn't really too fond of him. But if he does run and later wins, people like Scranton won't be too happy. That would be a clear problem for the old moderate Republican establishment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #519 on: November 17, 2005, 11:30:41 AM »

Some big stories...

"Give Ed Rendell what he wants!" - http://www.lynnswannteam88.com/Video/View.aspx?ID=23  (Watch whole video)

Committee votes in favor of Lt. Gov. nominee being chosen by Gov. candidate - http://www.kywnewsradio.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=50517

My opinion: I hate the Lt. Governor primary. I wanted the Gubernatorial and Lt. Gubernatorial candidates to run on a ticket in the primary. I initially strongly favored this legislation but with a closer look I am less enthusiatic. It seems like there would be a primary for Governor and then whoever is the nominee would pick their running mate. I guess it's ok but not what I wanted at first.

And most importantly...

http://www.strategicvision.biz/political/pa_poll_1116.htm

Rendell leads Scranton by 2%, Swann by 3% and Piccola by 9% (he can't be down by just nine points).

Rendell approve 46%  disapprove 43%

Swann winning the GOP primary 38% to Scranton's 34%. Piccola at 17% (way too high).
danwxman

« Reply #520 on: November 18, 2005, 01:52:58 AM »

How can you say that? The Lehigh Valley would go for Toomey (went for Rendell in '02) and the west accepted him last year. He was a force out there and that doesn't mean that just Republicans saw it. Just because SEPA doesn't welcome someone with open arms doesn't mean that candidate would lose.

Also, a good amount of Specter votes would have went for Hoeffel had Toomey been the nominee but Toomey would also pick up Clymer votes.

You know, for all your claiming that the Lehigh Valley is "trending Republican" there sure was quite a few Democratic victories in the past election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #521 on: November 18, 2005, 04:36:59 PM »

You know, for all your claiming that the Lehigh Valley is "trending Republican" there sure was quite a few Democratic victories in the past election.

You think the Lehigh Valley would have supported Hoeffel over Toomey? Face it, dan - your time in the Lehigh Valley is pretty much finished. All your party looks to are two overrated State Representatives. Joe Union isn't running the show anymore and it's not a socially liberal area either.
danwxman

« Reply #522 on: November 19, 2005, 03:26:51 PM »

You think the Lehigh Valley would have supported Hoeffel over Toomey? Face it, dan - your time in the Lehigh Valley is pretty much finished. All your party looks to are two overrated State Representatives. Joe Union isn't running the show anymore and it's not a socially liberal area either.

Stop putting words in my mouth you imbecile. I merely stated the Democrats did very well in the Lehigh Valley this past election. That can't be refuted.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #523 on: November 19, 2005, 04:11:34 PM »

Stop putting words in my mouth you imbecile. I merely stated the Democrats did very well in the Lehigh Valley this past election. That can't be refuted.

The Bush Adminstration is providing a nice assist for us in that region RIGHT NOW.  We should have won the PA 16 State Senate Seat because we had a great candidate in Jennifer Mann.  The Pat Browne DUI thing blew up in her face and cost her.  Had that election been held today, I think Mann would have won despite that.  After Mann, Rooney, and Grucela, we have a dire lack of talent in that region. 

Phil, I know Joe Union isn't running the show there, but neither is the Diocese of Allentown.  It is a tossup area and more a matter of quality of candidate running and campaign dollars, not ideology.   
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #524 on: November 19, 2005, 04:16:59 PM »

Not really. Except for Kerry winning, the GOP pretty much won everything else competitive. Dent won here, Specter won here, and the special elections for the vacant Senate and House seats went our way.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies