PA Gubernatorial Race 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:20:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA Gubernatorial Race 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 29
Author Topic: PA Gubernatorial Race 2006  (Read 93019 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2005, 09:37:15 AM »

http://www.politicspa.com/FEATURES/05historical_approval_ratings.htm

http://www.politicspa.com/temp/keystone%20Poll%20Release%20June%2005.pdf

http://www.pennlive.com/statehouse/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1118222619274100.xml&coll=1

"We have a prospect for some very interesting and competitive races," said G. Terry Madonna, the Franklin & Marshall College pollster

41% have a favorable opinion of Rendell. Two months ago he was at 48%.

38% say he deserves to be re-elected.

Poll shows Rendell with 49% to Castor's 21%.

Rendell 42%   Swann 34%

Ok, Democrats. Time to admit that Eddie might be in trouble!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2005, 09:47:39 AM »

Something I forgot to add....

http://www.pennlive.com/statehouse/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1118222619274100.xml&coll=1

just one-in-four in southwestern Pennsylvania thought he deserves a new term.

Rendell is done out west.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #227 on: June 08, 2005, 09:49:29 PM »

Nice to see Rendell getting dragged around over Act 72. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2005, 11:39:09 PM »

I wouldn't be too thrilled; Casey proposed a comprehesive tax reform program, to approved with a constitutional amendment.  In the Spring of 1989, it was defeated two to one.  In the Fall of 1990, Casey was relected by a margin of two to one.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #229 on: June 09, 2005, 09:22:55 AM »

In the Fall of 1990, Casey was relected by a margin of two to one.

Yes but that was Bob Casey. Ed Rendell is no Bob Casey.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: June 09, 2005, 11:21:36 AM »

I wouldn't be too thrilled; Casey proposed a comprehesive tax reform program, to approved with a constitutional amendment.  In the Spring of 1989, it was defeated two to one.  In the Fall of 1990, Casey was relected by a margin of two to one.

It's definitely temporary. I expect Rendell's numbers to jump back up by the next poll or two.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2005, 11:30:41 AM »

It's definitely temporary. I expect Rendell's numbers to jump back up by the next poll or two.

Actually his approval/re-elect numbers have been weak for awhile.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2005, 01:39:09 PM »

Actually his approval/re-elect numbers have been weak for awhile.

Keep having wet dreams about a Rendell tanking.  As even J.J eluded to, Rendell will bounce back.  He is just having some kinks with Act 72, which he will get over.  None of the options against him could do any damage.  Rendell is too popular in the Southeast for even Bruce Castor to overcome.  It seems your best chance is Lynn Swann, and I feel at this point his numbers are maxed out and he will energize the ENTIRE Southeast to vote against him to overcome Swann's gains in the Southwest.   The Central part of PA will not vote for an African American and you know what I said about everythign else. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2005, 04:07:00 PM »

Keep having wet dreams about a Rendell tanking.  As even J.J eluded to, Rendell will bounce back.  He is just having some kinks with Act 72, which he will get over.  None of the options against him could do any damage.  Rendell is too popular in the Southeast for even Bruce Castor to overcome.  It seems your best chance is Lynn Swann, and I feel at this point his numbers are maxed out and he will energize the ENTIRE Southeast to vote against him to overcome Swann's gains in the Southwest.   The Central part of PA will not vote for an African American and you know what I said about everythign else. 

No, J.J. eluded to him bouncing back from Act 72, not necessarily the General election. Then you want to say I have wet dreams about this? Please! You're in love with Rendell and hardly ever admit he's vulnerable.

Your logic is so messed up. You never cease to amaze me. Rendell's re-elect numbers are at 38%. Swann has proven that he can make this a race (If you think he's maxed out at 36%, you're crazy) and Castor would make the SE a fight. When you wake up from your Democratic Fantasy Land, come back and discuss the real politics of this race.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »

Regardless of his re-elect and approval numbers I don't see him losing to any of the potential candidates.  None seem very impressive or strong.  There has got to be someone else.  Can Tom Ridge run again?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2005, 06:14:15 PM »

Actually he can but he won't. Swann would be a good challenge to Rendell and Castor is the strongest potential candidate we have to offer.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2005, 07:01:47 PM »

Regardless of his re-elect and approval numbers I don't see him losing to any of the potential candidates.  None seem very impressive or strong.  There has got to be someone else.  Can Tom Ridge run again?

Former Governor Schweiker would beat Rendell if he ran, but he won't.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2005, 07:37:51 PM »

Former Governor Schweiker would beat Rendell if he ran, but he won't.

I would gladly support Schweiker if he ran. He'd make Bucks competitive and do a good job winning back some moderate Republicans. Schweiker actually goes to the same shore town as I do (Sea Isle City). A friend of mine works with Schweiker's son down there. I told my friend to tell Mr. Schweiker (the next time he went into the store) to run in 2006.  Smiley

However, like Jake said, he won't run. He's probably done with politics.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »

Castor is going to run. I just know it.

I sent an email to Mr. Castor yesterday, urging him to run for Governor. He (it doesn't seem like a very personal email so it could very well be him) responded that he was considering a run and while he said Piccola and Scranton would make good Governors (I disagree), the way to make Rendell vulnerable is to get someone who can make him weaker in SE PA and the Lehigh Valley.

The suburbs are brought up (and this is where I got excited. He seems very interested) and breaking into Eddie's base.

He even mentions a possible Lt. Gov run and seems open to the idea!

The main problem, as everyone expected, is the fact that he'd go through another Primary and that the GOP party leaders aren't exactly Bruce's best friend. If he can overcome this, I have no doubt that he'll run. He's the guy that can do it, PA Republicans. We want someone who stands by conservative ideals and can hurt Rendell where Rendell cannot be hurt if he wants to survive. Bruce Castor is the man to do it. Call him, email him...make sure he knows that we are behind him.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2005, 10:48:04 PM »

First, I was alluding to Rendell failure with Act 72; that was Jake's post.  It's too far out to be a real factor in 2006.

Second, Castor as Lt. Gov. could be a very big held to a GOP nominee.  It would drain votes from Rendell.

Another problem is Baker Knoll.  She's a disaster (even according to the Democrats), but she repesents the conservative wing of PA Democratic party.  She's also from Pittsburgh.  Dumping her repudiates that wing; keeping her reminds everyone that she keeps referring to the Gov. as "Edward G. Robinson."  That is one of the ticking time bombs in the Rendell campaign.
danwxman

« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2005, 12:17:44 AM »

What makes Castor qualified to be Governor?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #241 on: June 10, 2005, 02:26:52 AM »

First, I was alluding to Rendell failure with Act 72; that was Jake's post.  It's too far out to be a real factor in 2006.

Second, Castor as Lt. Gov. could be a very big held to a GOP nominee.  It would drain votes from Rendell.

Another problem is Baker Knoll.  She's a disaster (even according to the Democrats), but she repesents the conservative wing of PA Democratic party.  She's also from Pittsburgh.  Dumping her repudiates that wing; keeping her reminds everyone that she keeps referring to the Gov. as "Edward G. Robinson."  That is one of the ticking time bombs in the Rendell campaign.

I would consider dumping Baker Knoll.  I've heard things from people who've worked for her.  She is a VERY conservative Democrat and has the worst personality. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #242 on: June 10, 2005, 08:26:59 AM »

I would consider dumping Baker Knoll.  I've heard things from people who've worked for her.  She is a VERY conservative Democrat and has the worst personality. 

Nini posted a thread with a very good link.  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=23601.0

The problem is, Knoll represents a sizable contstituency within the Democratic party and she's independently nominated.  Rendell basically has to go out and say, "Vote for someone else."  He does that, and he alienates not just more of SWPA, but a lot of conservative Democrats.  Further, some of the candidates to replace her are very leftist, like Kukovitch.

He keeps her on the ticket, her gaffs and succession questions come into play.

Basically, some liberals may not turn out because Casey is on the ticket and conservatives may not turn out because Rendell pushed Knoll off the ticket.

This is one where I don't blame Rendell; I doubt if he voted for her in the 2002 primary.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #243 on: June 10, 2005, 10:21:44 AM »

He's been a powerful Montgomery county DA for the past five years.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2005, 10:23:10 AM »

Knoll will be out in the next election. My bet is on Rendell-Hafer.

And J.J., I can assure you Rendell didn't want Knoll in 2002. He was pushing for a Rendell-Kucovich ticket.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2005, 11:15:04 AM »

Knoll will be out in the next election. My bet is on Rendell-Hafer.

Or maybe not...

From http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05122/497704.stm

But Hafer insists she just "wants to make some money" with her consulting firm and won't run next year.

danwxman

« Reply #246 on: June 10, 2005, 08:26:49 PM »

So what?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #247 on: June 10, 2005, 08:42:16 PM »

So what?

I guess you would say the same thing to a certain Democrat in 1986 when he ran for Governor and his only experience was being a DA. His name is Ed Rendell.

Apparently, Ed Rendell's love for the Eagles and a good cheesesteak is good enough for some boneheads in this area.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #248 on: June 10, 2005, 09:55:46 PM »

So what?

I guess you would say the same thing to a certain Democrat in 1986 when he ran for Governor and his only experience was being a DA. His name is Ed Rendell.

Apparently, Ed Rendell's love for the Eagles and a good cheesesteak is good enough for some boneheads in this area.

1.) Apparently Ed Rendell was elected MAYOR in between 1991 and 1999.  That little thing happened before he was governor just so you know.

2.)  Apparently, Melissa Brown's baseless rants against Section 8 were good enough for some bonheads in NE Philly to vote for her.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #249 on: June 10, 2005, 09:58:01 PM »

1.) Apparently Ed Rendell was elected MAYOR in between 1991 and 1999.  That little thing happened before he was governor just so you know.

2.)  Apparently, Melissa Brown's baseless rants against Section 8 were good enough for some bonheads in NE Philly to vote for her.

1) We're talking about the 1986 race he ran in, Flyers. Pay attention.

2) Basless? Hardly! And she actually had her facts straight (something you guys should try).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies