How many House seats will Democrats gain in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:09:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How many House seats will Democrats gain in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How many House seats will Democrats gain in 2012?  (Read 11261 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »

With Democrats having lost so many seats in 2010, it would be almost impossible for them to fall further, especially given the fact that the popular House vote will be at worst, split.  Republicans have vulnerable seats all over the country except for the Deep South, and there isnt that much that can be done in redistrticting since Republicans already hold so many seats. 
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:05:45 PM »

depends what happens between now and then

For now I would say

Worst Case Scenario is 15 (similar to 1996)
Best Case Scenario is 75 (similar to 1948)

I say that high teens low 20s sounds like a reasonable pickup.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »

depends what happens between now and then

For now I would say

Worst Case Scenario is 15 (similar to 1996)
Best Case Scenario is 75 (similar to 1948)

I say that high teens low 20s sounds like a reasonable pickup.

Im thinking around 16 seats, same as what Reagan picked up in 1984.  That would bring Democrats to 210 seats, enough to make sure nothing passes the House without bipartisan support. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »

20-25 is my prediction; redistricting will shore up many incumbents. Gaining seats isn't the only benefit of a gerrymander.
Nichlemn

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »

With Democrats having lost so many seats in 2010, it would be almost impossible for them to fall further, especially given the fact that the popular House vote will be at worst, split.  Republicans have vulnerable seats all over the country except for the Deep South, and there isnt that much that can be done in redistrticting since Republicans already hold so many seats. 

It's never impossible to fall further - see 1930-1936, 1974 followed by 1976 (albeit only by one seat), 2006 followed by 2008. Granted, House Republicans have lost a lot of popularity recently so it does appear harder for them to make more gains than it did in November 2010. But there's still a non-negligible chance of a double-dip recession that sinks Obama and more House seats with it.

I think people here drastically underestimate the variance of the distribution of possible House results. A mean of somewhere between 20-30 pickups sounds about right, but the standard deviation is probably about 15-20 seats. If we assume a normal distribution, there's about a 5% chance of more Republican gains but also about a 1% chance that Democrats pick up more seats than they lost in 2010. However, you could argue that a normal distribution is a poor approximation. I think it underestimates the chances of a 1932, a 1948 or a 1976 type result. Imagine a model with fat tails and a "bump" around the "status-quo" results.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 07:58:53 PM »

I'll say 15-25.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »

Is it safe to assume that most of the seats that Democrats gain will be those outside the South? 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 06:53:13 AM »

Is it safe to assume that most of the seats that Democrats gain will be those outside the South? 

Yes. Outside of maybe Arkansas, I doubt the Democrats will see a single gain in the South (not counting Florida as part of the South).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:54:55 AM »

30-40.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 07:46:10 AM »

Not enough to take back the House, IMO.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »

Yes. Outside of maybe Arkansas, I doubt the Democrats will see a single gain in the South (not counting Florida as part of the South).

Hard to see them not gaining at least one seat in Texas with the state getting four new seats.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 09:03:06 AM »

How about Virginia?
They could also gain seats in Alabama and South Carolina if the DOJ insists for a second VRA seat, but that's a big if.

At the beginning of the year I'd say Democrats would gain around 15 seats. But with Republican's popularity sinking fast and the Ryan budget, I could see them gaining 20-25 and retaking narrowly the House.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 09:54:03 AM »

How about Virginia?
They could also gain seats in Alabama and South Carolina if the DOJ insists for a second VRA seat, but that's a big if.

At the beginning of the year I'd say Democrats would gain around 15 seats. But with Republican's popularity sinking fast and the Ryan budget, I could see them gaining 20-25 and retaking narrowly the House.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Texas. I don't see any of the seats in Virginia being particularly competitive.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »

I thought the Virginia congressional map isn't out yet. Anyway, I find it hard to believe that in a state that has moved to toss-up/lean Dem territory it's feasible to contain the Dems to just 3 out of 11 seats. It's kind of an exercise in futility like the ones the Democrats tried against Republicans in Texas and Georgia.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »

I thought the Virginia congressional map isn't out yet. Anyway, I find it hard to believe that in a state that has moved to toss-up/lean Dem territory it's feasible to contain the Dems to just 3 out of 11 seats. It's kind of an exercise in futility like the ones the Democrats tried against Republicans in Texas and Georgia.

They're going to work on it next month, but odds are they're going to punt it to next year, because the Senate Democrats want to pass a 7-4 map, and the House Republicans want to pass an 8-3 map. Virginia's Democratic voters are distributed such that you can make three solidly Democratic seats and distribute the remainder among the other districts.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »

Im not counting on any Democratic gains in the South outside of maybe AR-02 and a new black majority AL-02 and SC-07(both would be easy to do) that are forced by the Justice Department.
Im not counting Virginia, Florida, or West Virginia as part of the South. 
Dgov
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 01:38:41 PM »

If you go for a really ugly Richmond-Norfolk Dem Pack, you can draw 8 McCain Seats at least, although they'd be like 53% McCain, which is not insurmountable for at Virginia Democrat.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »

If you go for a really ugly Richmond-Norfolk Dem Pack, you can draw 8 McCain Seats at least, although they'd be like 53% McCain, which is not insurmountable for at Virginia Democrat.

Why would the Virginia Senate approve that?
Dgov
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »

Hard to see them not gaining at least one seat in Texas with the state getting four new seats.

If they do gain a seat, it's probably going to be in the decidedly non-Southern Portion (I.e. San Antonio or South Texas).
Dgov
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »

I was pointing out that its possible to create an 8-3 Map in Virginia, not that it was likely.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »

I don't know. I guess it's not impossible for them to take back the House, but I suppose it's probably more complicated than just winning 25 seats, considering they will be losing some to redistricting...
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »

The Dem majority is tenuous at best, which is why I said it'll probably get punted to next year. The Republicans have nothing to lose in doing that, really.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 09:14:01 PM »

Gain seats..... They will lose seats. Indiana 2 (very high probability) and possibly Indiana 7 (if the GOP decides to be ambitious as I personally think we can beat Carson with Rokita.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 09:17:27 PM »

Gain seats..... They will lose seats. Indiana 2 (very high probability) and possibly Indiana 7 (if the GOP decides to be ambitious as I personally think we can beat Carson with Rokita.

that's just two seats. Any seats we MIGHT lose (which is a big if) can be offset with a lot of seats to pick up.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »

Also you have to factor the massive takeover by republicans in the state legislatures. That will have quite a bit of influence in the new district lines. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies