Mitch Daniels: Drug Dealer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:11:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitch Daniels: Drug Dealer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mitch Daniels: Drug Dealer  (Read 1778 times)
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »

And thus, a very large skeleton is found in Mitch Daniels' closet. I, personally, have no problem with his dealing of drugs, but I find his opposition to drugs to be hilarious considering this.

http://rachaelrayblows.me/the-cannabis-closet-mitch-daniels/

Thoughts?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:08:27 PM »

I think this was pretty well known already.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:30:28 PM »

Isn't this old news?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:34:12 PM »

First off, this isn't some just found skeleton.  Second, just because at one time he was involved with drugs he couldn't have possibly changed his opinions?  I guess I'm out of the loop on this one but, I just don't see the comedy in such opposition.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »

This is very old news, brought up in his run for Governor back in 2004. Won't be an issue.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:26:53 PM »

This is very old news, brought up in his run for Governor back in 2004. Won't be an issue.

One could say the same for RomneyCare, Ron Paul's racist newsletters and Gingrich sitting on a love seat beside Nancy Pelosi to talk about Global Warming, but each of those issues is still out there hounding the respective candidates.

Also, running for governorship (especially in a state like Indiana, where the Libertarian party regularly gets 5% of the vote and the socons aren't the main force) is a much different proposition from running for president. This is definitely not common knowledge, and if he began to poll well enough to be a "serious candidate", this would be common knowledge to people who would actually care. How many social conservatives would vote for a person whom they had just discovered was once a drug dealer?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »

He's a small businessman.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 10:56:25 PM »

Then he's got an IRS scandal as well Tongue
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »

Well, we should replace that with FairTax anyway...
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 11:11:46 PM »

Well, we should replace that with FairTax anyway...

No.  Then he'll have to relocate to China.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 01:56:53 AM »

It may not matter when it comes to statewide office, but it could really hurt him in Iowa and South Carolina (anywhere for that matter, where social cons are the important factor). Remember that the general public doesn't know about this issue, even if the people of Indiana and political wonks already do.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 05:25:08 AM »

I'm disturbed by the fact that he apparently said "we was fined for that". Really?
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:22 AM »

You're really bringing this up now? We've known about this for more than six years.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »

Republicans are actually quite forgiving of their  politicians' past acts when they want to be. It goes along with the Christian concept of redemption and making good for past sins.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »

Obama was his connection?  Wink

Seriously, this is a non-issue, because:

1.  Obama (not to mention Clinton) lowered the bar on this.

2.  It looks like it was exceptionally minor.

3.  It's been fully disclosed, by longer than six years.  According to Wiki, he listed it on job applications.

I do, however, now officially regret not trying marijuana in high school or college.

useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »

I'm disturbed by the fact that he apparently said "we was fined for that". Really?

No, the "Marijuana News" unsurprisingly made tons of grammatical errors when transcribing the original from Andrew Sullivan's site. The original link is down at the bottom of the "article".
milhouse24
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »

This will be a major issue with Evangelicals in Iowa, South Carolina and everywhere else who have never heard of Mitch Daniels. 

Palin, Newt, T-Paw, Romney will use it against him in the campaign.  Its one thing to try drugs and not get caught, which leaves it ambiguous. 

But to get caught by police, have it on the record, makes it a serious crime, and is far worse because there is a police report.  It points to the man's character, and if he can be the Patrician candidate that voters want, or some hippie that's not as slick as Billy Clinton or amiable as Dubya.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »

Palin actually admitted to smoking marijuana before it was banned in Alaska, and I wouldn't be surprised if Gingrich had smoked weed as well.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 10:33:33 AM »

No, the "Marijuana News" unsurprisingly made tons of grammatical errors when transcribing the original from Andrew Sullivan's site. The original link is down at the bottom of the "article".

I'm very surprised.  I mean, "Marijuana News" and bad grammar?  Certainly not Tongue
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:32:27 PM »

I suspect that I am the most anti-all-forms-of-drugs poster here, and this incident over 20 years ago doesn't really bother me all that much...I mean Obama, Clinton, and probably Bush were potheads in College, so the bar certainly is lower.

It of course is indicative of a weak character, but from what I have read his role in this situation has been played up, much like we played up how much other previous presidents were a part of this low scene.
milhouse24
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »

I suspect that I am the most anti-all-forms-of-drugs poster here, and this incident over 20 years ago doesn't really bother me all that much...I mean Obama, Clinton, and probably Bush were potheads in College, so the bar certainly is lower.

It of course is indicative of a weak character, but from what I have read his role in this situation has been played up, much like we played up how much other previous presidents were a part of this low scene.
Again, its one thing to try it, but its another level to be involved with mass quantities and selling it or being around drug dealers.  But I do know some serious political workers who are potheads, so maybe he wants to legalize it. 

As for Dubya being a pot head or coke user, he definitely was.  There are way too many reports about his hard-partying days before he married Laura and got a real job.  Even hardcore republicans will admit that Dubya was basically a Loser Hippie Partier until well after his 30's.  Dubya has never denied using Cocaine - he just said he can't remember if he used cocaine at any of the parties.  Dubya is also an alcoholic, who cannot drink any beer or wine because he will fall off the wagon.  He's stated for a fact that he has given up alcohol because he was an addict.  The only reason he cleaned up his life and even made it to the presidency was because of his Family name and connections.  Granted, he really turned his life around and remained disciplined enough to stay off beer to not embarrass himself anymore.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »

I don't care.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »

I don't see this being much of an issue, although I guess some conservative types aren't going to like it. Although those people aren't going to be Mitch "Truce" Daniels backers anyway.

It actually gives him some much-needed colour, IMO.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 08:04:12 PM »

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »

Well I never heard about this before, but it makes me like him more. However, I imagine that some IA voters may not. You can be sure that this will come up, especially in a debate with the legalize pot libertarian candidates.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies