John Thune or Rick Perry? Could they change their minds?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 02:54:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  John Thune or Rick Perry? Could they change their minds?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: John Thune or Rick Perry? Could they change their minds?  (Read 1721 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:51 PM »
« edited: May 17, 2011, 02:16:14 PM by Progressive »

Well? Mike Huckabee out. Donald Trump out. Newt Gingrich embarrassed by Ryan supporters on nat'l stage. Mitch Daniels twiddling his thumbs.

Could Thune be the unRomney?

How about Rick Perry?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »

Thune and Rubio are going to Cuomo around this year. Obama is too good of a campaign to risk their one shot at the Prez on. It would be better to wait until 2016 where the Dems will be in disarray too.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »

No.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:35:49 PM »

Thune and Rubio are going to Cuomo around this year.

Not sure what you mean by that...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »

If the offer is 'too good to refuse' -- being drafted on about the fifteenth ballot at the Republican National Convention as a compromise.

A poll early this year showed John Thune beating President Obama 57-42 in his own state, South Dakota.  Of course that is only about 3% better than John McCain did in 2008 in the same state. That's not especially good for a Favorite Son. Given that South Dakota is about R+11 in most Presidential elections (1972 was a marked exception, and we should all know why), such suggests that he would lose about 55-45 nationally.

There would be bigger losers among Republicans.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 01:21:58 PM »

Thune and Rubio are going to Cuomo around this year.

Not sure what you mean by that...

Mario Cuomo: Potential favorite for President who never ran
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:15:09 PM »

If he did, he might make 1% of a difference
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 02:16:31 PM »

How about TX Gov. Rick Perry?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »

Rick Perry is a dolt and makes Tim Pawlenty look interesting.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/05/17/perry_quietly_feels_out_presidential_bid.html
Whacker77

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »

I doubt Thune will change his mind because, ultimately, he decided he wanted to be part of the Senate for a long time.  Honestly, he can do more there than he probably could as president.  I say that because of the number of years he could serve and the fact he wouldn't win the presidency anyway.

In terms of Perry, I think the last thing people want is another Texas governor as president.  He's made so many controversial statements that he might never get past them if he did run.  He's best served remaining governor for life in Texas.  The press would not be kind to his cowboy attitude, regardless of his correctness on an issue.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if any two people were to reconsider they would be Christie and Jeb.  There's a reason their names continue to come up despite their public pronouncements.  The repeated mentioning indicates both have likely hedged their bets in private.  Earlier this year the loud rumor in DC was Jeb would be open to a "draft" movement.

It's not difficult to imagine shuttle diplomacy taking place with Trenton or Miami if the current field remains uninspiring.  If a wide collection of establishment and Tea Party figures went to either man and said the for the good of the country and the party we need you, would either really turn them down?  Considering what G H Bush has preached duty and service all these years, I think Jeb would be persuaded.

The current field continues to disappoint and self destruct.  I think a white knight candidacy is possible, but not better than 50-50 sadly.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:42:29 PM »

If push comes to shove, Cristie could give in and run. Paul or Cain will actually have a shot as being the anti Romney, and I developed a liking for Jon Huntsman. I also like Bolton (YES, I know he is a Neocon...)
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »

No. Thune will probably end up being a Romney or T-Paw supporter, while Perry is intent on dying as governor of Texas.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »

Late/very late entries doesn't work anymore. Fred Thompson tried this and failed miserably.

I think Perry is sincere about his desire to remain Governor. Also, Thune seems to be more interested in future high Senate leadership position, than running for President in a crowded field.
Whacker77

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »

Late/very late entries doesn't work anymore. Fred Thompson tried this and failed miserably.

I think Perry is sincere about his desire to remain Governor. Also, Thune seems to be more interested in future high Senate leadership position, than running for President in a crowded field.

Fred Thompson failed because he was never totally committed to running.  When he did get in, he looked uninterested.

If a big name got in the race before October and hit the ground running, he could easily win.  Republicans are deperate to find a reasonable candidate.
milhouse24
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »

Thune would probably accept the VP spot.  He's young and has plenty of time to run in 2016 or later.  He would not be taken seriously in 2012 and was just getting ready for VP or later.  Senators don't have time to run for president and cast votes.  Thune knows his place is in the Senate for now, but he will be running in 2016, if he isn't chosen as the VP before hand.

I didn't realize there was a draft Jeb movement in DC.  I wonder who's leading the talk?  Jeb is waiting until 2016, but I have a strong feeling he will jump into 2012, if the Draft Jeb is strong enough, and he has the energy and campaign connections to raise lots of money very quickly. 

He just doesn't want to the liberal media to kill the "bush name" before Iowa.  If Jeb jumps in during the Fall, the media will have limited time to "destroy bush" and he will be able to win Iowa.  But Jeb could also be just waiting for VP, and will let Dainels or Romney win the nomination. 

Christie won't win Iowa or NH.  He may be the best Republican, but he won't win the primaries.  He's also Catholic, so he won't get the evangelical vote in Iowa. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 09:57:49 PM »

He just doesn't want to the liberal media to kill the "bush name" before Iowa.

Dude, there's one guy who killed the Bush name, and his name is Bush.
milhouse24
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »

Not all Bushes are the same, they come in different sizes, ages, color, shapes. 
I think Jeb deserves a chance to be the better Bush and show the people will be the better president.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »

Is there a Bush fattie out there we just haven't seen yet?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 03:39:25 PM »

Is there a Bush fattie out there we just haven't seen yet?

Barbara?
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »

None of these guys are running, no matter what. Jeb Bush might be a contender if he wasn't a Bush, but it's not entirely clear he would have even gotten this far if he hadn't been a Bush. Either way this country has had enough. We've already done two father and son teams (Adams, Bush). I can't foresee a third member of the same family becoming president in such a short time.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »

Perry is one of the few candidates who could win over the fiscons and the socons. Can't say that about most of the current batch, at least in a primary.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »

Perry is beginning to consider, Thune should. Though most of Perry's team has tagged along with Gingrich so idk where that leaves him with a team
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »

Perry is beginning to consider, Thune should. Though most of Perry's team has tagged along with Gingrich so idk where that leaves him with a team

If he is, he had better get on it. I was under the impression he was content with being governor for life in Texas. If he runs, I doubt he'll get far becuase his Texas swagger will remind people too much of Bush. The American people have seen that movie already, gave it terrible reviews, and don't want to buy the direct to DVD sequel.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »

If he is, he had better get on it. I was under the impression he was content with being governor for life in Texas. If he runs, I doubt he'll get far becuase his Texas swagger will remind people too much of Bush. The American people have seen that movie already, gave it terrible reviews, and don't want to buy the direct to DVD sequel.

It was only and advisor saying he was considering it since there is a vaccum in the party, but I doubt he actually will entire the race. But I can gurantee he'll take a second look at least
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies