Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver to Divorce
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver to Divorce
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver to Divorce  (Read 5441 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »

I just heard aout this.  Apparently they annoucned it yesterday, but wow... I really didn't expect this one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/us/11schwarzenegger.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:43:06 PM »

Let's keep the celeb gossip in off-topic.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:43:17 PM »

I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for the Kennedy's.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »

Let's keep the celeb gossip in off-topic.

It's political enough.  They're both political figures.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »

it's been 25 years???!!!  dang, I still remember how he showed her off at their reception and directed all the attention at her.  it was a very classy move.   in fact, i purposely mimicked arnold's routine at my own wedding reception.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:27:11 PM »

I thought they were separating?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:09:02 AM »

That's code for divorce.

I feel bad for their kids.

Reluctant Republican

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 11:20:55 AM »

I figured this would happen when I read in Entertainment Weekly about Arnold's new cartoon, and he mentioned he was announcing it to the magazine first and had not even told his wife about it yet. Shame. Hope they can work through things, or failing that, part amicably.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »

That's code for divorce.

I feel bad for their kids.

I heard it was their kids that convinced Maria to leave. She was miserable, didn't want to leave for their sake and her religion, but they apparently said she should go.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 06:36:20 AM »

I guess Arnold is free to grope as he pleases again. Cheers!
milhouse24
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 03:01:35 PM »

I think She's wanted a divorced since he announced on the Jay Leno show, but knew it was her duty to stand by her politician husband and act like a political wife.  For a newswoman, she certainly hates being a politician.  Perhaps she's just afraid of tragedy happening to her or her family again.  But I actually think she would make a great Senator. 

In this day and age, women have more freedom to be cougars, and be with a man who cares about them and puts Her first.  It was very clear that Arnold cared about political power and the governorship more than her desire against politics. 

There lives are going in opposite directions and he's making a career change.  Its the perfect opportunity for her and him to find happiness with other people.  There kids are mostly grown up. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:22:53 AM »

Schwarzenegger Reveals He Had Child With Staffer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has acknowledged that he fathered a child with a member of his household staff, a revelation that apparently prompted wife Maria Shriver to leave the couple's home before they announced their separation last week.

Schwarzenegger and Shriver jointly announced May 9 that they were splitting up after 25 years of marriage. Yet, Shriver moved out of the family's Brentwood mansion earlier in the year after Schwarzenegger acknowledged the child is his, The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

"After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago," Schwarzenegger told the Times in a statement that also was sent to The Associated Press early Tuesday. "I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.

"I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time," the statement concluded. "While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not."

Schwarzenegger's representatives did not comment further. A spokesman for the former first lady told the Times she had no comment.

The Times did not publish the former staffer's name nor that of her child but said the woman worked for the family for 20 years and retired in January.

In an interview Monday before Schwarzenegger issued his statement, the former staffer said another man — her husband at the time — was the child's father. When the Times later informed the woman of the governor's statement, she declined to comment further.

The child was born before Schwarzenegger began his seven-year stint in public office.

Shriver stood by her husband during his 2003 gubernatorial campaign after the Los Angeles Times reported accusations that he had a history of groping women. Schwarzenegger later said he "behaved badly sometimes."

In his first public comments since the couple announced their breakup, Schwarzenegger said last week that he and Shriver "both love each other very much."

"We are very fortunate that we have four extraordinary children and we're taking one day at a time," he said at a Los Angeles event marking Israeli independence. Their children range in age from 13 to 21.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/05/17/arts/AP-US-Schwarzenegger-Shriver-Separation.html
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »

lulz......the shock of this is too hard to take.  Roll Eyes
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 11:16:23 AM »

lulz......the shock of this is too hard to take.  Roll Eyes

At least we have a chance for Kindergarten Cop/Jingle All the Way sequels.
Wakie77
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »

Can anyone really say they are surprised by either story?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »

It surprises me, because it's kind of unbelievable that he would run for governor a couple years after doing this, especially when his wife didn't know. And then not only that, but with the press in CA and their antipathy towards Arnold, they didn't find out about this for 8 years? Strange...
Wakie77
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 01:46:03 PM »

It surprises me, because it's kind of unbelievable that he would run for governor a couple years after doing this, especially when his wife didn't know. And then not only that, but with the press in CA and their antipathy towards Arnold, they didn't find out about this for 8 years? Strange...

Really?  I felt like the Press gave Arnold a pass on everything.  If he was Arnold Smith, businessman, they would have given him a MUCH harder time.  Heck there was talk about trying to find a loophole to get him to run for President.  Name for me one other politician who could get away with having a child out of wedlock w/o the public finding out throughout their entire time in office.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »

Who says Shriver didn't know?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »

Name for me one other politician who could get away with having a child out of wedlock w/o the public finding out throughout their entire time in office.

I can't, that's why I'm surprised by this. And yeah, I think the national media was soft on him, but I don't think the press in California was. Maybe I'm wrong though, since I obviously don't live there.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »

From the AP:

"Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has acknowledged that he fathered a child with a member of his household staff, a revelation that apparently prompted wife Maria Shriver to leave the couple's home before they announced their separation last week."

"Schwarzenegger and Shriver jointly announced May 9 that they were splitting up after 25 years of marriage. Yet, Shriver moved out of the family's Brentwood mansion earlier in the year after Schwarzenegger acknowledged the child is his, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday."

That makes it seem to me like she didn't know until this year...
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »

From the AP:

"Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has acknowledged that he fathered a child with a member of his household staff, a revelation that apparently prompted wife Maria Shriver to leave the couple's home before they announced their separation last week."

"Schwarzenegger and Shriver jointly announced May 9 that they were splitting up after 25 years of marriage. Yet, Shriver moved out of the family's Brentwood mansion earlier in the year after Schwarzenegger acknowledged the child is his, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday."

It doesn't to me.  "Apparently prompted" means the media is speculating.  These politicians' spouses aren't dumb.  They usually know a lot more than the media thinks or they claim to know.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2011, 03:11:43 PM by phk »

From the AP:

It doesn't to me.  "Apparently prompted" means the media is speculating.  These politicians' spouses aren't dumb.  They usually know a lot more than the media thinks or they claim to know.

If it was over a decade ago and she knew, this divorce/separation would have happened in 2001.

I suppose this means he had wanted to try a run at the governor's mansion and kept everything hidden.

Than again, at the time, all of those sex scandal allegations for some reason never stuck back in 2003. He had built up a sort of a good family type of image throughout his 8 years which means it sticks now.

Even than, if your going to have an affair, why not use condoms?

This pretty much kills reconciliation.
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »

It doesn't to me.  "Apparently prompted" means the media is speculating.  These politicians' spouses aren't dumb.  They usually know a lot more than the media thinks or they claim to know.

From Arnold himself:

"After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago. I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry."
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 03:27:14 PM »

From Arnold himself:

"After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago. I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry."

Why bother telling now?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »

For rich pricks, this kind of thing is no big deal.  Kind of like a bad haircut for mere mortals.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies