Junkie for At-Large Senator (Special Election)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:51:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Junkie for At-Large Senator (Special Election)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Junkie for At-Large Senator (Special Election)  (Read 7336 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »

Tomorrow I will address the issue regarding the unrest over our potential new state.

I'm glad someone in the Pacific finally will. Tongue

We actually passed a bill recently, kthx. And your story is kind of ludicrous anyway.

I thought I was being fairly restrained.

Besides, nobody else has given any trouble in responding to things. People seem pretty accommodating about them. Aside from you, anyway.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »

Will have to wait on the statement till tonight or tomorrow.  Sorry, but got a little busy.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2011, 06:28:16 PM by Junkie »

Well everyone it ain't over yet.  We tied in the election and thus will have a runoff in a few days.  I want to thank everyone who voted for me.  Thanks for your vote, your faith, and I hope you vote in the runoff election. Also, thanks to the CID for their endorsement.  Together we have done something that I think has never happened before, force a runoff in a general election (although I think it happened at least once in the Lt. Gov. race).  We also did something that has never happened before, being the first challenger of an incumbent governor to get over 40% of the vote.  They said it was impossible, but every election can be competitive and we just proved it.

I also want to thank my opponent.  Class act who administered the election well.  I hope I win, but I will say going back to days against Happywarrior, I am proud that every election I have been has been without personal drama.  However this things turns out, every citizen of the Pacific can be proud of the election.  

I have spoken about what I want to accomplish as Governor: (1) address our tax code, (2) identify new industries that the Pacific can be  leader in (3) promote law enforcement by taking guns away from felons and regulating firearms that are only intended from criminal purposes (4) create a new thread for citizens to clearly put forward their bills and (5) promote activity by introducing a new bill, as long as there is something that needs to be done, every week.  Just with these ideas, we have a lot to do.

Additionally, as Gov. I would address the problems in our newest state.  Some believe that the unrest their is no big deal.  Well I think it needs to be addressed (and I should have earlier).  I would meet with the leaders of the protest movement and work with them and the President to deal with the situation.

I understand their concerns.  They were a territory and without even a vote within their islands, they became a state.  I get that they may feel that they are being annexed.  I disagree with territories.  It smacks of colonialism to me.  I approve of Bgwah's bill making them a state, but perhaps we should have offered them an option of Independence or statehood, so that we can rid ourselves of the last vestiges of imperialism.  But we are where we are, so I would make sure that their heritage, language, and history is respected, taught, and free.

Thanks again to all my supporters, I will do so again personally.  Don't forget to vote in the runoff, no matter who you vote for -- but please vote for me.

Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 10:03:58 PM »

Just wanted to let you know that I am truly committed to running for Governor, but due to a trial this week, my time on the boards will be limited.  I will make every effort, but am usually so fried at the end of the day, that I can't promise.

I hope you understand and will still consider me worthy of your vote. 
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »

The runoff election for Pacific Governor is happening.  Please go vote!  I hope you consider voting for me and thank you if you already did.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »

I'm not in the Pacific any more, but as a former Governor of the region I wish you the best of luck. Smiley

Obviously I can't really make an endorsement since I like both candidates a lot (I worked with Arch. a great deal when he was my Lieutenant Governor, and I think he's doing a splendid job), but, hey, it's not like endorsements in Atlasia are game changers anyway. Tongue

I also hope that, in the event you come up short in this election, you'll keep trying - your unfortunate, narrow losses have largely being due to bad luck and, in the case of the Pacific, the considerable hurdle any right-affiliated candidate faces in terms of voter registration, and the fact you're neck-and-neck says something positive about your campaign.

Or just run for President, that's what everyone else is doing. Wink
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2011, 11:10:19 AM »

Currently, the tally stands tied at 6-6.  It looks good for ArchangelZero, given that all 7 who voted for Junkie in the first election have voted, and one of those (Polnut) has changed his vote. Of those who voted for ArchangelZero in the first election, 4 have not yet voted (including the candidate).  2 new voters have shown up for ArchangelZero.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »

Currently, the tally stands tied at 6-6.  It looks good for ArchangelZero, given that all 7 who voted for Junkie in the first election have voted, and one of those (Polnut) has changed his vote. Of those who voted for ArchangelZero in the first election, 4 have not yet voted (including the candidate).  2 new voters have shown up for ArchangelZero.

I agree, doesn't look good the challenger.  If nothing else, I am happy that we had such a competitive election that brought more people out to the polls.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2011, 01:09:33 PM by Junkie »

Well, here we are again with another concession speech.  If you are thinking that this might be "you won't have Junkie to kick around" offering, you are wrong.  In almost every respect (except one very important one) this was a victory!  We gave it our all and gave the Pacific a competitive election.  It was especially fun to see to some old faces come out, many of whom I have only heard about or seen on the wiki.  I hope to get to know all of you better and maybe convince you that I would be worthy of a vote in the future.

To my voters (Teddy, sbane, Xahar, MaxQue, Torie, Polnut) a hearty thank you.  I needed every vote and you delivered.  To the Doc, my worthy opponent, thanks for the clean race and I appreciate you not running up the score (but you don't have to worry about me getting disgruntled).

The campaign may be finished, but the goal for the Pacific never is.  Competitive elections, free discussion of the issues, and ample amounts of cheap beer!  I now will take some time, join the lecture circuit, join a few non-profit boards, and contemplate the future.

It was close, it was fun...what more can you ask for?  A victory would have been nice, but if you have to lose, then I would prefer to lose fighting, knowing I got the votes of those that I did.

Thanks again.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2011, 07:44:27 AM by Junkie »

Well ladies and gentleman, it does appear that there will be an at-large vacancy in the Senate.  Not too sure when that special election will be, but I have decided to give it more try.  I have run a number of times in the past and had some heartbreakingly close elections, but that has not stopped my love for running or my desire to serve Atlasia with activity, civility, general awesomness, and humility.

Many of you know me, many do not.  Over the coming days I want to re-introduce myself and talk about what I plan to do if I am lucky enough to be elected Senator.

I will start by confessing that while I feel I am a reasonably good Axis and Allies player, my Risk skills leave much to be desired.

So here it is for more time: JUNKIE FOR SENATOR.

Of course if homely decides not to quit, then I will slink back to my home, drink a few beers and watch Red Dawn.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »

Endorsed
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »

Endorsed Smiley
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2011, 09:47:55 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »

You would be a tremendous contribution to the Senate. Endorsed!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »

A good Axis and Allies player?

ENDORSED.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »

OK, now I'm your opponent.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »

Nobody deserves to be a newly crowned Senator right now more than you, Junkie. You obviously have my unwavering support.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »

Endorsed

You would be a wonderfull addition to the Senate. Smiley
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »

Cool.  It will be a lot of fun.

And to everyone else, thanks for the support.  It means a lot.  While I am rolling out my goals, does anyone have any questions.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »

Do you have support the "End to Imperialism Act"?
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2011, 09:37:10 AM »

Do you have support the "End to Imperialism Act"?

It is an interesting question that is hard to answer because it appears that there may be another amendment due to a change in the situation in Afghanistan.  Thus, I find it hard to say definitively whether I would support something if I don't know the final product.

That being said, that brings up a good point and highlights my problem with the bill in general.  The Senate controls the purse and has the sole power to declare war.  On the other hand, the President is the Commander-in-Chief and the power to utilize the military.  That separation of powers naturally creates a tension.

During the first few pages, I piped in with my thoughts.  One being that all the Senate could do was control funding and not madate withdrawl.  That constitutional issue has been addressed.  However, the tone of the debate just got a little too much for me to handle and I stopped really paying attention.

Now that I am running for Senator and due to your question, I went through all the posts.  One concern I have with the bill is that it does not allow flexibility for the President to act dependant upon the needs of the military and the changing picture on the ground.

As I stated above, this is highlighted by the President's posts about the changing situation in Afghanistan, the potential change in the timeline he wants, and then Yank's question about wether there would need to be an amendment.  My concern is that military actions can change quickly, national security requires flexibility.  I believe that the President has been clear he wants to withdraw, but wants to do so reasonably and safely.  He needs that flexibility and this bill will take that away from him.

Now, I believe that Iraq and Afghanistan were horribly managed.  I hate nation building.  If we deploy our troops into a war, it should be to win, and then come home.  I actually believe that Libya was being handled the right way...that is before we moved to peacekeeping, which I do not like.

But we are there and the President and the military cannot have their hands tied by deadlines developed at one time, when they have to address current events.

The President and his staff are doing a great job.  I support them.  If the bill had flexibility for the President to react to changing events on the ground, I would be more inclined to support it.  But then again, I want to see the final product before I reach an opinion.

Hope that answers the question.  Let me know.  Any others?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »

Any bills you have in mind that you would like to introduce?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »

Endorsed for first preference.

Voting against you in a tragically close election once was often enough. It shouldn't happen again.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »

Endorsed for first preference.

Voting against you in a tragically close election once was often enough. It shouldn't happen again.

Don't worry. This time he's not an underdog.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies