Atlasia can do better ~ Marokai Blue for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 08:42:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasia can do better ~ Marokai Blue for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Atlasia can do better ~ Marokai Blue for Senate  (Read 5798 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »
« edited: June 09, 2011, 03:31:58 PM by President Tmthforu94 »

Fully Endorsed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2011, 08:49:39 PM »

The election is after June 14th right? If so, you will receive my 2nd preference.

Any support at all is appreciated. Thanks. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »

• Rewriting the "Consolidated" Criminal Justice Act.

Man, while browsing the Wiki earlier, I took a peek at the not-so-Consolidated Criminal Justice Act. I always knew it needed further consolidation, but it's been amended more times than I remembered.

This shouldn't be surprising, when you think about it. This Act was originally written in September of 2006, so anything that's nearly 5 years old in Atlasia, as a general rule, probably needs revisions. Here's all the revisions, to my knowledge, that have been made to it:

Of course what this all means is that the damn thing is patchier than a years-old Raggedy Ann doll. (And this isn't just reserved for the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act, either. The Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act, also originally passed in 2006, suffers from much of the same problems. Arguably, it's worse, being far more important to rely on and being amended more often.) As Senator, I promise to personally rewrite the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act, primarily to make it actually consolidated. In time, the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act will also need work. I believe these are things that we can all agree on needing work, and have been in need of work for a very long time now.

• Deregistration that can work, or a Do-Not-PM List that actually has teeth. Take your pick.

Allowing citizens the options of voter deregistration is something I've supported for awhile now. A few months back, under President Fritz's Administration, I vocally supported then-Senator Lief's legislation to carefully handle the issues surrounding deregistration. It was a pretty good all-around piece of legislation that handled the potential loopholes of deregistration pretty well, I thought, and finally allowed deregistration to those of us who had just completely lost interest in Atlasia and didn't want to be attached to it anymore in any way.

But then it was vetoed for.. some reason. Even re-reading the topic I can't entirely understand why. The potential legal loopholes were handled as well as they could be and it was actually a very sensibly put together bill, all things considered, but it was vetoed because of concerns that it might make the Registrar General's job too difficult, apparently.

Personally I don't see how it creates that much work for the RG at all, and if elected I will propose a similar deregistration law. I see no harm in allowing the option, nor do I see how it could be a legal nightmare, if the legislation is simply well put together beforehand.

After the failure to get deregistration procedure into law, however, people moved to proposing a Do Not PM List to at least protect those still on the voter rolls that didn't wish to get reminders to vote. The strange thing about this proposal though, is that it doesn't really do anything at all.

The Senate created a law.. that has no punishment for disobeying it. It's essentially a "stern suggestion." I remember arguing against this as an outside observer in the Senate at the time:

This current bill lacks any point unless you put some force into it. As in "if anyone on the do-not-PM list receives a PM with the intent to sway the individual to vote or vote for a specific candidate, the sender shall be banned from voting in said election" or something. Otherwise this is just make-work that has no teeth.

That went, of course, completely ignored. Certain people either want out of Atlasia, or don't want to be bothered. That's all perfectly understandable, to be honest, but the problem is we managed to ignore the best option, and then move to the second-best option, and proceeded to make it as useless as possible. Tongue

I'm not entirely sure why people don't want to just step up and take care of this issue and move on, but if elected your Senator, I would do my best to try. There are two simple solutions to this problem, we just have to actually implement one of them and stop beating around the bush.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »

I of course encourage all Northeasterners to vote in our regional elections for Governor and the NE Assembly. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »

Congratulations to our new Governor and Assembly, and I wish the best to all those elected. I enjoyed my brief time working and debating in the Northeast Assembly and wish the next Speaker to be a more active one. I hope everything gets going without a hitch. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »

I encourage everyone in the Northeast to go vote, now that the Senate race is officially open. I've done the best that I can in this campaign, putting forth as much as I can with as much detail as I can, and I only hope that it's enough.

Hopefully one of my opponents can bump his Senate campaign thread from it's month-long slumber to encourage people to get out and vote as well. Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2011, 06:55:53 PM »

Oh, Marokai, why didn't you move to the Midwest?  Everything would've been better if you did *hughughug* Grin
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »

Oh, Marokai, why didn't you move to the Midwest?  Everything would've been better if you did *hughughug* Grin

It was TEMPTING. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »

Well, congratulations on your campaign. I hoped you would win, but at least that way there can be no ambiguity on the result's legitimacy. I hope you'll try your chance for other occasions. Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2011, 04:13:42 AM »

Well, congratulations on your campaign. I hoped you would win, but at least that way there can be no ambiguity on the result's legitimacy. I hope you'll try your chance for other occasions. Wink

I'm always up for losing more. Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2011, 04:20:21 AM »

I would have liked to see you win the election, but your victory would have probably made the current matters concerning the voter intimidation issue even worse. Good luck next time. Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2011, 06:33:44 AM »

You gave it a good go, even if the result ended up being somewhat perplexing. (Sorry, couldn't resist. Tongue)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies