is america more culturally liberal than it was 45-50 years ago?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:24:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  is america more culturally liberal than it was 45-50 years ago?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is america more culturally liberal than it was 45-50 years ago?  (Read 938 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »

In my opinion, it is by far. Blacks are as close to whites (equality wise) than at any point in the nation's history. Women are also close to eclipsing men in certain career categories. Abortion is legal in all 50 states (albeit some reasonable restrictions) and while people screwed outside of marriage then, people can now be open about it. In pop culture, I doubt that movies like "The Hangover" would be allowed to be distributed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »

Also, gays and acceptance of religious diversity.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:15:49 PM »

In 1961, most blacks couldn't vote, lunch counters and water fountains and schools were almost all still segregated, Freedom Riders were getting firebombed and jailed, and KKK activity was rampant. Being gay was a crime in 49 states. Women with careers were almost entirely stuck in "female" professions. Conservative evangelicals were up in arms about the newly-elected President being a Catholic.

I don't see how this is even a question.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »

Way more Liberal. I think were too Liberal.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »

Did someone dispute this or something? The answer is quite obvious.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »

Way more Liberal. I think were too Liberal.

Out of curiosity, what cultural progress do you dislike?
Dgov
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »

Depends on how you define "Culturally Liberal".  If you mean the Starbucks, Whole foods, and Prius culture, then certainly yes, I don't even think that sort of thing existed 50 years ago.

As for the politics, I'd dispute some of your points (We're way tougher on crime then we were in the 60s, gun control is way less prevalent/favored, and Race is in no way a "Culturally Liberal" issue), but on the whole, I'd say that yes we are.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »

Depends on how you define "Culturally Liberal".  If you mean the Starbucks, Whole foods, and Prius culture, then certainly yes, I don't even think that sort of thing existed 50 years ago.

As for the politics, I'd dispute some of your points (We're way tougher on crime then we were in the 60s, gun control is way less prevalent/favored, and Race is in no way a "Culturally Liberal" issue), but on the whole, I'd say that yes we are.

Can I ask how you came to the conclusion that race has nothing to do with culture?  Or for that fact, how being open-minded, and not bound by traditional inequality is not "Culturally liberal"?  Not to be rude, I'm just genuinely interested how you came to that conclusion...
Dgov
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »

Can I ask how you came to the conclusion that race has nothing to do with culture?  Or for that fact, how being open-minded, and not bound by traditional inequality is not "Culturally liberal"?  Not to be rude, I'm just genuinely interested how you came to that conclusion...

I'm not saying that it doesn't have anything to do with culture, I'm saying that the Civil rights movement is not a "Culturally/Socially Liberal" Issue.  Saying so implies that Liberals are the only ones happy about it (compared to say Abortion or SS marriage), and i don't think Social Conservatives are trying to move it back like they are with the aforementioned issues.

it would be like saying Abolitionism is a culturally liberal position, whereas I'm fairly sure it's a widely held belief across all political stripes.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 07:44:48 PM »

The reason I asked it was a response to a previous thread that asked if America was a far right nation? The point was to basically show that that question was ludicrous.

Race in general is a culturally liberal position. Look at the states where blacks faced the least discrimination. Chances are, those areas would be in the pacific northwest, Scandinavian parts of the Midwest, and new England. Part of it has to do with the people who settled those areas, but those in general are the most culturally liberal parts of the united states. The areas where blacks faced the most discrimination are probably the most culturally conservative.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »

Race in general is a culturally liberal position. Look at the states where blacks faced the least discrimination. Chances are, those areas would be in the pacific northwest, Scandinavian parts of the Midwest, and new England.

lol
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »

Connecticut is disgustingly segregated, though it has improved.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2011, 08:08:51 PM by Dgov »

race in general is a culturally liberal position. Look at the states where blacks faced the least discrimination. Chances are, those areas would be in the pacific northwest, Scandinavian parts of the Midwest, and new England. Part of it has to do with the people who settled those areas, but those in general are the most culturally liberal parts of the united states. The areas where blacks faced the most discrimination are probably the most culturally conservative.

Well, I'd argue that Blacks do face discrimination in the very Socially Liberal areas you describe, but just in a different way.  Not in the "We're going to lynch you N!ggers" sort of way, but rather a paternalistic inferiority sort of way.  Like say, the way a street gang would treat the 10-year-old who wants to join their gang but is too weak/small too--its not that they don't like/approve of them, but rather than they legitimately don't see them as full equals.  Another example would be sending a black guy to go do something, but then sending someone else to go help him because you don't think he can do it on his own.  This is what Conservatives generally refer to as "Discrimination by lower standards"

This is just from what I've experienced living in White Liberal CA, and other people probably have conflicting experiences, so I'm not going to pretend that this is universal, and will freely admit that it is better than parts of the South.  However, I don't think Socially Liberal areas are bastions of color-blind equality that some people like to believe they are.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 08:24:35 PM »

race in general is a culturally liberal position. Look at the states where blacks faced the least discrimination. Chances are, those areas would be in the pacific northwest, Scandinavian parts of the Midwest, and new England. Part of it has to do with the people who settled those areas, but those in general are the most culturally liberal parts of the united states. The areas where blacks faced the most discrimination are probably the most culturally conservative.

Well, I'd argue that Blacks do face discrimination in the very Socially Liberal areas you describe, but just in a different way.  Not in the "We're going to lynch you N!ggers" sort of way, but rather a paternalistic inferiority sort of way.  Like say, the way a street gang would treat the 10-year-old who wants to join their gang but is too weak/small too--its not that they don't like/approve of them, but rather than they legitimately don't see them as full equals.  Another example would be sending a black guy to go do something, but then sending someone else to go help him because you don't think he can do it on his own.  This is what Conservatives generally refer to as "Discrimination by lower standards"

This is just from what I've experienced living in White Liberal CA, and other people probably have conflicting experiences, so I'm not going to pretend that this is universal, and will freely admit that it is better than parts of the South.  However, I don't think Socially Liberal areas are bastions of color-blind equality that some people like to believe they are.

I'd certainly agree with you there.  Race is an issue everywhere.  Discrimination in one way or another is human nature though, substantial progress has been made to decrease inequality.  People would have us believe that one party is for Mexicans, or for African Americans.  Realistically, discrimination exists in every facet of life.  It's those same people that claim they are for equality while denouncing their opponents on the issue, that drive Americans apart.  However, it goes without saying that sometimes, it is genuinely agreeable that some crude remarks are made by our representatives.  The simple fact is, discrimination does not exist solely along one party line, one political platform, or any specific regions.  
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 09:59:58 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2011, 10:03:26 PM by DrScholl »

I did grow up in an area that could be called liberal and mostly white, I'm now in an area that is moderate and I have always been treated equal in both places. Not every place is the same, but I do think there is still think that views is completely different in areas that are socially liberal and social conservative.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »

And yet we're now super isolated in our individual houses and individual cars, many people hardly ever interacting with others. We're all crazy paranoid about security. Not sure all that makes for a liberal culture either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies