Biggest Upset of 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:39:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Biggest Upset of 2004
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which race was the biggest upset in your opinion?
President - Bush defeats Kerry

CO Senate - Salazar defeats Coors

AK Senate - Murkowski defeats Knowles

FL Senate - Martinez defeats Castor

NC Senate - Burr defeats Bowles

KY Senate - Bunning defeats Mongiardo

SC Senate - DeMint defeats Tenenbaum

SD Senate - Thune defeats Daschle

OK Senate - Coburn defeats Carson

CO-3 - Salazar defeats Walcher

IL-8 - Bean defeats Crane

IN-9 - Sodrel defeats Hill

KY-4 - Davis defeats Clooney

GA-12 - Barrow defeats Burns

TX-2 - Poe defeats Lampson

PA-13 - Schwartz defeats Brown

TX-32 - Sessions defeats Frost

WA Governor - Rossi defeats Gregoire

IN Governor - Daniels defeats Kernan

MO Governor - Blunt defeats McCaskill

MT Governor - Schweitzer defeats Brown

NH Governor - Lynch defeats Benson

NC Governor - Easley defeats Ballantine

Other (specify in post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Biggest Upset of 2004  (Read 6466 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2004, 09:02:56 PM »

Either FL or AK senate.
danwxman

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 09:17:02 PM »

It wasn't a surprise that Bunning beat Mongiardo...it was a surprise that Mongiardo came so close to pulling an upset.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 09:40:27 PM »

Crane's defeat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 10:56:11 PM »

I noticed Schwartz vs. Brown is up there. If you would have asked the political experts in let's say June or July who would win the PA 13 race, most would have said Brown. If anyone was saying Schwartz, they would be considering it an upset.

Unfortunatley, as we approached the final weeks of the campaign, someone prediciting a Schwartz win wasn't considering it an upset. When Schwartz was declared the winner, no one was in shock. I thought Brown would pull it off but I knew that if she didn't I wouldn't be that surprised.

Therefore, PA 13 was not the biggest upset in my opinion. There are several who come close to earning this title of "Biggest Upset of '04" so it's hard to say there's just one. A race that does stick out: KY Senate race. Bunning - 51%  Morgiardo 49%. That was just sad.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 05:27:09 PM »

New Hampshire Governor
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 05:30:07 PM »

Agreed
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 05:58:35 PM »

Washington Governor (assuming it holds up)

Both Nethercutt and Bush ran worse than expected in Washington,

Rossi did it uphill and on his own in a State the increasingly leans to the Dem side.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 07:07:39 PM »

I noticed Schwartz vs. Brown is up there. If you would have asked the political experts in let's say June or July who would win the PA 13 race, most would have said Brown. If anyone was saying Schwartz, they would be considering it an upset.

Are you kidding me?  Schwartz-Brown in June or July was considered a pure tossup leaning Schwartz.  No expert analyst said Brown was going to win.  Only you and TeenGOP thought Brown "was in the bag".  CNN and Congressional Review had Schwartz winnign back then as well.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 07:52:26 PM »

Unfortunatley, as we approached the final weeks of the campaign, someone prediciting a Schwartz win wasn't considering it an upset. When Schwartz was declared the winner, no one was in shock. I thought Brown would pull it off but I knew that if she didn't I wouldn't be that surprised.

Therefore, PA 13 was not the biggest upset in my opinion. There are several who come close to earning this title of "Biggest Upset of '04" so it's hard to say there's just one. A race that does stick out: KY Senate race. Bunning - 51%  Morgiardo 49%. That was just sad.

I don't mean to be a prick, but WHAT THE FU-K ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT???  For crying out loud we lost the presidency and PA has a 12-7 GOP advantage in the US House and both Senators.  Is there anything you're thankful for?  Do you want the GOP in PA 1 and 2 as well? 
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 08:33:14 PM »

Thune defeats Daschle... Thune knocked off thehead of the Senate Democrats that was huge
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 10:01:44 PM »

I thought Knowles was going to win big.  How could the Alaskans just let the governor appoint his daughter to the Senate?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 10:03:46 PM »

What's wrong with appointing your daughter to the Senate? You can point anyone else, but not your daughter? What's the difference?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 10:05:46 PM »

What's wrong with appointing your daughter to the Senate? You can point anyone else, but not your daughter? What's the difference?

If she wasn't his daughter, would he appoint her? It's doubtful. People should be appointed because of their ability, not their genetics.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 10:08:08 PM »

You always have to pick someone you know.

If the governor appoints you Senator, are you wrongly appointed because he knew who you were? Should it be based on qualifications instead of who the governor knows about?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 10:13:49 PM »

Are you kidding me?  Schwartz-Brown in June or July was considered a pure tossup leaning Schwartz.  No expert analyst said Brown was going to win.  Only you and TeenGOP thought Brown "was in the bag".  CNN and Congressional Review had Schwartz winnign back then as well.

This race was lean Brown back in June in my opinion. We can argue this elsewhere.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 10:15:55 PM »

I don't mean to be a prick, but WHAT THE FU-K ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT???  For crying out loud we lost the presidency and PA has a 12-7 GOP advantage in the US House and both Senators.  Is there anything you're thankful for?  Do you want the GOP in PA 1 and 2 as well? 

I am thankful that Bush is President and PA has a 12-7 GOP advantage, and the State Legislature. However, I didn't know there was a limit on how much support you can give. Philly is dominated by the Dems. Did you really need another Dem State Rep, IrishDem?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 11:02:04 PM »

The biggest upset is Tauzin III apparently losing in LA-03! 
But if Rossi's victory in WA holds up, this will also be a biggest upset than the on I mentioned earlier (NH Gov).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 01:50:25 AM »

Phil, IrishDem take your "Who was ahead in July.." debate into the PA-13 thread.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2004, 10:17:12 AM »

Thune over Daschle for sure.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2004, 01:21:50 PM »

Phil, IrishDem take your "Who was ahead in July.." debate into the PA-13 thread.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2004, 04:23:53 PM »

Fine, Phil, IrishDem take your "Who was ahead in June.." debate into the PA-13 thread. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2004, 04:32:32 PM »

Fine, Phil, IrishDem take your "Who was ahead in June.." debate into the PA-13 thread. Tongue

...exactly what I suggested.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2004, 09:27:48 PM »

Since the category is biggest upsets, I can't go with any of the Senate races since I predicted them all correctly, (but seriously I based my prediction on the last polls before election day).  For instance, Thune had narrow leads in the polls and won by about 1%, so that is not an upset in my book.  The tightness of the Bunning race surprised me, but he won, so I don't classify that as an upset.

For me, the Democrats taking control of both houses of the Colorado state legislature was the biggest upset (and upsetting, as well). 
Second would be the Democrats pulling off a tie in the Iowa State Senate (25 all).  They gained four seats to do it, in a year when Bush narrowly won the state, Grassley stomped his opponent, four of five House seats remained Rupublican and the lone Democrat won by only 55%.  There was no winner at the state level on the Democratic ticket.  So this was the second biggest upset for me. 
If Rossi holds on to win in Washington, that would displace the Iowa Senate for number two.
Rococo4

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2004, 12:36:31 AM »

I would say a toss up between Knowles/Murkowski and the Benson defeat in NH.

I didnt think Murkowski had a chance in hell to get reelected when she was appointed, even in such a Republican state.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2004, 04:00:28 PM »

Mypalfishs' prediction of an obvious Kerry landslide. And I quote :

I tried to tell you what was going on.  I really tried.  This looks like a landslide, folks.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies