Texas lapping rest of country, will raise speed limit from 80 to 85MPH
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 08:50:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas lapping rest of country, will raise speed limit from 80 to 85MPH
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Texas lapping rest of country, will raise speed limit from 80 to 85MPH  (Read 3678 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:07 PM »

COOL!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/04/texas-considers-highest-speed-limit-in-nation/1
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:08:36 PM »

Well, that's nice. Maybe one day we'll consider raising our test scores or percentage of children with health insurance.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »

It's 75 mph on most interstates in North Dakota and honestly often feels too slow. Then again ND has so many olds on the road. One could probably have a speed limit of 100 mph on the interstate in a remote area and it'd be safe for an average driver, but you have to take into account the non-average drivers unfortunately.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »

Well, that's nice. Maybe one day we'll consider raising our test scores or percentage of children with health insurance.

run over all Dems and/or illegals on the interstate highways?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »

jail all lazy and/or uninvolved parents?  fire all incompetent teachers?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »

run over all Dems and/or illegals on the interstate highways?

Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »

Texas has fired enough teachers already.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:36:24 PM »

Texas has fired enough teachers already.

well, mostly it's the univolved parents who are the problem.  I know teachers from inner-city schools that can't assign homework because the majority of the kids simply would refuse to do homework.  So if you don't have a parent base that cares about their child's education, then it really doesn't matter how much money you throw at the problem.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »

well, mostly it's the univolved parents who are the problem.  I know teachers from inner-city schools that can't assign homework because the majority of the kids simply would refuse to do homework.  So if you don't have a parent base that cares about their child's education, then it really doesn't matter how much money you throw at the problem.

Uninvolved parents are one of the biggest problems facing educators.........but Lief's side-tracking has nothing to do with the very high speed limit.......too high in my view.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »

It would be nice to have to spend less time in Texas when trying to get to the Mountain West. I hope all the whole worthless stack of states in the middle of the country (TX-Dakotas) follow suit.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 01:00:19 PM »

North Dakota isn't likely to raise its limits any higher because its traffic fines are so low. The max is only $5 per every mile over the limit.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 01:02:26 PM »

Uninvolved parents are one of the biggest problems facing educators.........but Lief's side-tracking has nothing to do with the very high speed limit.......too high in my view.

it's mostly giving-the-finger-to-the-liberals legislation.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2011, 01:14:21 PM by jmfcst »

It would be nice to have to spend less time in Texas when trying to get to the Mountain West. I hope all the whole worthless stack of states in the middle of the country (TX-Dakotas) follow suit.

Next time you're driving through Texas and see a big bad Excursion with a bible sitting on its dashboard coming up on your six, you need to call no joy and move to the right lane...then take the next exit and go buy yourself a new pair of shorts.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »

It would be nice to have to spend less time in Texas when trying to get to the Mountain West

This mostly.  Texas is HUGE, and if this means you spend one less hour driving through open plains, then by all means go for it.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 01:46:42 PM »

What the hell?! Thank God I don't live in Texas, 80 mph is already too high!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »

I guess they are trying to sell more gasoline.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 02:50:58 PM »

Nice.  I wish more states would do that.  I tend to drive between 85 and 90 anyway, but it's nice not to be on constant look-out for patrol cruisers.

Note that the article is misleading.  "I can't drive 55" was on the VOA album and came out long before Sammy Hagar had anything to do with Van Halen.  Also, they neglect to mention that David Lee Roth is the current lead singer with Van Halen.  They don't actually come out and say anything that's false, but the omissions are misleading.

Also, it's just a bill that hasn't become law, so don't get too excited yet. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 03:13:20 PM »

but Lief's side-tracking has nothing to do with the very high speed limit.......too high in my view.

If you had a hypothetical interstate in a very remote area that only people between the ages of 20-60 with decent driving records were allowed to drive on, you could probably have a speed limit of over 100 mph and it'd be just as safe as any currently existing interstate.

Unfortunately that isn't the case and speed limits need to be lower for the olds, new drivers and just plain bad drivers. But really 80-85 on a remote interstate is not all that nerve-wracking. I've driven it in North Dakota before (illegally yes) with no nervousness or problems and have seen people go even faster. Fast speeds aren't even that much of a threat but things like tailgaiting and the like.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 03:17:03 PM »

but Lief's side-tracking has nothing to do with the very high speed limit.......too high in my view.

If you had a hypothetical interstate in a very remote area that only people between the ages of 20-60 with decent driving records were allowed to drive on, you could probably have a speed limit of over 100 mph and it'd be just as safe as any currently existing interstate.

Unfortunately that isn't the case and speed limits need to be lower for the olds, new drivers and just plain bad drivers. But really 80-85 on a remote interstate is not all that nerve-wracking. I've driven it in North Dakota before (illegally yes) with no nervousness or problems and have seen people go even faster. Fast speeds aren't even that much of a threat but things like tailgaiting and the like.

Admittedly being from western PA where you barely get a few miles of a straight shot before the bends clouds my opinion.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »

Next time you're driving through Texas and see a big bad Excursion with a bible sitting on its dashboard coming up on your six, you need to call no joy and move to the right lane...then take the next exit and go buy yourself a new pair of shorts.

Could somebody please translate this into standard EnglishCracker? I have no clue what this nutter is talking about. Something about bibles I think.

sorry, I don't speak Cracker
Sincere sympathies for you then. It must be difficult for you to go through life unable to express yourself, instead having to rely upon cliched rural witticisms and Bible references. If you want to be an American, perhaps you should learn to speak the language.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »

Could somebody please translate this into standard EnglishCracker? I have no clue what this nutter is talking about. Something about bibles I think.

sorry, I don't speak Cracker
Sincere sympathies for you then. It must be difficult for you to go through life unable to express yourself, instead having to rely upon cliched rural witticisms and Bible references. If you want to be an American, perhaps you should learn to speak the language.

where'd my post go?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »

Also, it's just a bill that hasn't become law, so don't get too excited yet. 

dude, it's a done deal.  This is Texas.  We do this kind of stuff simply because we can.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »

Admittedly being from western PA where you barely get a few miles of a straight shot before the bends clouds my opinion.

Ha, yeah. Ever driven in North Dakota? Bismarck to Fargo is three straight hours of this.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 03:46:01 PM »

Ha, yeah. Ever driven in North Dakota? Bismarck to Fargo is three straight hours of this.

Wow, yeah, 85 sounds fine...........
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »

Lets look on the bright side of this - less Texans.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies