The Atlasian-International Journal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:11:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian-International Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The Atlasian-International Journal  (Read 9463 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »

I'd consider it within the realm of believability for Somaliland. Definitely not for Nigeria, which isn't under consideration as far as I've talked to Ben.

And also, we're talking about decriminalization. They're not all turning gay friendly overnight. Ben has my fullest confidence on these stories.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »

As great as it would be, I really don't see them changing their ways like this. A lot of people in those parts hate themselves some gays. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »

State-run media has its flaws alright.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 07:31:49 PM »

Alright now, let's not go Benbashing.  I just wanted to mention that one thing.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2011, 07:34:19 PM »

Alright now, let's not go Benbashing.  I just wanted to mention that one thing.

I didn't bash Ben. Hello.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »

As great as it would be, I really don't see them changing their ways like this. A lot of people in those parts hate themselves some gays. 

Certainly, and on a local level they'll continue to do so. But consider this: Somaliland is a baby nation, recognized only by a handful of nations in our reality, here. They've struggled for years to get any recognition and build their economic and social infrastructure. South Sudan was officially born merely weeks ago. As a condition for entry into the GTO, certain human rights standards must be met.

If you were these two fledgling nations, struggling for relevance in the modern world, and your only condition for entry into a well respected international organization is decriminalization of homosexuality, would you turn away just because of homophobia, or would you be pragmatic and made that comparatively small compromise?

In our estimations, South Sudan and Somaliland would, if pushed, make that pragmatic concession. Nigeria, will not. And I support Ben's stories here wholeheartedly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »

If you were these two fledgling nations, struggling for relevance in the modern world, and your only condition for entry into a well respected international organization is decriminalization of homosexuality, would you turn away just because of homophobia, or would you be pragmatic and made that comparatively small compromise?
I think a great many Somaliland leaders would consider it pragmatic to not feed into al-Shabaab's talking points about their supposed infidelity to Islamic law.  Local politics and tradition trumps strategic global concerns all the time.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »

I think a great many Somaliland leaders would consider it pragmatic to not feed into al-Shabaab's talking points about their supposed infidelity to Islamic law.  Local politics and tradition trumps strategic global concerns all the time.

Especially in...Islamic nations!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »

I love how we're arguing over realism in who makes efforts to join the fictional international organization.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »

That's off base.  This is reporting of fact; it's not as if the AIJ is reporting protests in foreign countries because of legislation you introduced, Senator.  And don't pretend for a minute this isn't a deliberate attack at me.  I produce the stories, so attacking the stories attacks me.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 10:39:39 PM »

That's off base.  This is reporting of fact; it's not as if the AIJ is reporting protests in foreign countries because of legislation you introduced, Senator.  And don't pretend for a minute this isn't a deliberate attack at me.  I produce the stories, so attacking the stories attacks me.

Lol, so every time I write a bill (meaning you come attack the bill) is your way of personally attacking me?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »

Lol, so every time I write a bill (meaning you come attack the bill) is your way of personally attacking me?

No.  What I meant was it would be a "state run media" type problem if I did that.  I disliked your terminology, which I view as unfair.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »

No.  What I meant was it would be a "state run media" type problem if I did that.  I disliked your terminology, which I view as unfair.

My criticism was at the policy that allowed this.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2011, 10:53:32 PM »

I find that criticism invalid.  The legislation that allowed this news organization has breathed life into foreign policy, giving us a background to work on, and informing other aspects, like GTO expansion in general.  This is a good thing, Senator.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »

A policy that gives the legislature things to do is a bad thing?!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2011, 12:34:33 AM »

A policy that gives the legislature things to do is a bad thing?!

These stories haven't really given me anything to do but if I may say so I think I've found things to do without this...I respect your opinion but my perspective of this law is that it disperses power in an awkward way...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2011, 12:46:42 AM »

Like just reintroducing your failed legislation?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2011, 01:21:01 AM »

I think it's valid to critique or defend the stories in this journal, but no need to get personal here or bring up things not related to international affairs.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 01:39:05 AM »

Like just reintroducing your failed legislation?

It will pass the next session. I wrote the bill after a conversation with homelycooking. It is important legislation. If you don't like the policy, find a new way to criticize t.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »

my perspective of this law is that it disperses power in an awkward way...

How so?  Marokai and I have had no issues working together, and I had not had any issues working with Badger.  Your conclusions don't match up with what's actually going down.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2011, 11:14:32 AM »

South Sudan passes gay rights bill
August 30, 2011

The South Sudanese legislature, by narrow margins in both Houses, has officially passed a bill decriminalizing homosexuality.  The bill, which is almost identical to the one recently passed by Somaliland, passed the National Legislative Assembly of South Sudan (the lower house) by a vote of 86-84.  It then passed the upper house, the Council of States of South Sudan, by a vote of 21-20.  Salva Kiir Mayardit, the President of South Sudan, has indicated that he will sign the legislation.

During the votes, protesters took to the streets singing homophobic songs and waving homophobic signs.  However, those protests do not appear to have influenced the votes in anyway.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »

Why on earth would Somaliland overwhelmingly support a bill decriminalizing homosexuality and South Sudan barely passing it?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »

Why on earth would Somaliland overwhelmingly support a bill decriminalizing homosexuality and South Sudan barely passing it?

That's actually not totally what happened.  The bill failed 9-73 in one house, and the other needed a high margin to override, which they decided to do.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »

That's actually not totally what happened.  The bill failed 9-73 in one house, and the other needed a high margin to override, which they decided to do.

exactly, assuming the second house was more reflective of the democratic society (opposed to elders)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »

exactly, assuming the second house was more reflective of the democratic society (opposed to elders)

The lower house fell sway to the idea that Somaliland needs to become a part of the international community, and the GTO is the best way to do it.  They really fear becoming isolated and falling to Al-Shabaab, and hope that being in the GTO can protect them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies