Do younger voters suffer from lack of knowledge or disinterest?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:31:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do younger voters suffer from lack of knowledge or disinterest?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do younger voters suffer from lack of knowledge or disinterest?  (Read 2845 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »
« edited: March 31, 2011, 02:07:41 PM by Culture Warrior »

In the 1980s, my mom was the age I was in the 2000s. She is exactly 20 years older than me...so whereas I was 16 years old when Bush got re-elected, she was 16 years old when Reagan got re-elected. (Kinda crazy considering she was a kid when Reagan was President AND I myself was born during Reagan's Presidency.)

She wasn't interested in politics or current events at all. She was very social in High School with her friends. But she knew who the Soviet Union was. She could name the Vice President of the United States.

Grab a 17 year old girl today and ask her who Al Qaida is or who the Vice President of the United States is, and I bet over 80% of them couldn't tell you.

I find that dangerous considering the uncertain and dangerous world we are in and will continue to be in during the years that people these kids ages inherit.

Is it lack of knowledge? Is it just that they have absolutely no interest? My mom wasn't interested in the Cold War or the Soviets vs. U.S. but knew what it was about. She knew why a fallout sign hung outside her classroom. She knew Reagan was President and Bush was Vice President. She knew what was happening in Libya 25 years ago when Reagan stuck blows against Qaddafi.

Now, do you think any younger people know what is going on in Libya?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:07:12 PM »

The good old days weren't always as good as they are often remembered to be.  The youth vote has always been apathetic.  Most young people have better things to do with their lives than obsess over politics.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »

There are some right here on this forum.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:25:04 PM »

There are some right here on this forum.

Besides people like us.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »

Americans in general are dangerously ignorant, Naso.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »

I think so.  At least how my professors all spin it, the reason why colleges are so underfunded is linked to the fact that young people don't vote as much as older people.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »

Americans in general are dangerously ignorant, Naso.

This is mostly true.......
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »

Young People are very political-but also ignorant. I have plenty of friends with Libertarian views who cant tell me the other 3 major parties (Green,Constitution,Libertarian). In 2008, our school did a mock election. I was the only 6th grader there who voted on my own knowledge, and not for who my parents said I should. Needless to say-my Alan Keyes/Paris Hilton write in was not counted.
The Professor
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »

I don't understand the youth of today with their playpods and pierced scrotums and whatnot. However, one thing has remained the same over the years and that is apathy towards the political process
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »

Most of these macropolitical events have no real effect on most of our lives, so there's little incentive to analyze or care, especially when we individually have no power over what happens and what does not happen. And they're plenty of young people that know nothing about politics yet are informed about other more pertinent topics such as physics, chemistry, biology mathematics, finance, etc. IMO it's far more impressive to score a 'T' on the MCAT than it is to possess knowledge of who Moammar Gaddafi and Joe Biden are.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »

my thoughts exactly.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 08:58:25 PM »

As an 18-year old myself, I'd say its lack of interest.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »

Variations on a Theme by Mike Naso...

I'm sure Cicero was decrying the shiftlessness and apathy of the Roman youth too.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »

I think younger voters suffer from a little of both and both conditions caused by the other.  Politicians may do some GOTV efforts aimed at younger crowds, a lot of younger people see politics as aimed for their parents and grandparents and thus are disinterested.  If they're disinterested, they will not have the urge to increase their knowledge and become informed voters, so disinterest breeds lack of knowledge.  Those with lack of knowledge are automatically disinterested.  For instance, why would someone be interested in cars, or planes, or trains, and not have any knowledge whatsoever.  It would be an empty desire.  So, the bottom line is distinterest breeds lack of knowledge which breeds more disinterest.  Soon, they get into a rut.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »

Didn't the youth vote play a significant role in the election of 2008?  I think it can even be argued that they were pretty active in 2004 too. 

I tend to think of the youth vote as somewhat inconsistent, in the sense that young people will go from one election for which they have great enthusiasm to another in which they will feel great indifference or, even more, disillusionment.  If what they wanted out of an election doesn't materialize right away, young people are not bound to have much patience with the political process, and just get disappointed and walk away.

Of course, maybe that's also true of voters of all ages these days...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 12:04:34 AM »

I think so.  At least how my professors all spin it, the reason why colleges are so underfunded is linked to the fact that young people don't vote as much as older people.

As a result, young people figure their votes don't matter since neither party does what they want, so they don't bother voting. It's a vicious circle.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 12:39:18 AM »

Young people go along with whats hip. It was hip to support Obama and the Democrats, now it isn't.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 12:46:11 AM »

Young people go along with whats hip. It was hip to support Obama and the Democrats, now it isn't.

This may sound selfish on my part, but I was kind of excited when Obama lost so much support because I felt it was safe to start publicly liking him again without sounding like a brainwashed Hope&Change man.  Those days when he was at 60%+ approval made me somewhat embarrassed to like him.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 12:52:38 AM »

Most of these macropolitical events have no real effect on most of our lives, so there's little incentive to analyze or care, especially when we individually have no power over what happens and what does not happen. And they're plenty of young people that know nothing about politics yet are informed about other more pertinent topics such as physics, chemistry, biology mathematics, finance, etc. IMO it's far more impressive to score a 'T' on the MCAT than it is to possess knowledge of who Moammar Gaddafi and Joe Biden are.

^^^
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 10:38:01 AM »

Colleges aren't actually underfunded when you compare historical funding levels to current ones. Indeed, my state of New Jersey has doubled Rutgers funding between 1999 and 2009. Professors just want more money.
The Professor
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 12:42:36 AM »

How dare you
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 03:43:47 AM »

What's wrong with desire of having more money?

You'd know that. You're a professor.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »

But c'mon, sans the youngs on this website, don't the youngs just suffer from a total focus on poon and booze?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »

But c'mon, sans the youngs on this website, don't the youngs just suffer from a total focus on poon and booze?

I'm not sure how that focus distinguishes them from anyone else.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »

I'm not sure how that focus distinguishes them from anyone else.

Oh c'mon you remember you college days, no?

As we age we have time to focus on other things, like raising a family, a career, etc.....and yes, sadly, politics!  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies