Caterpillar raises specter of moving from Illinois
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:22:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Caterpillar raises specter of moving from Illinois  (Read 1650 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:55:04 AM »

Associated Press
March 25, 2011
SPRINGFIELD, Ill.—

The chief executive of Caterpillar wrote a letter to Illinois Gov. Patrick Quinn raising the possibility the heavy equipment company could move out of Illinois because of concerns that the direction the state is heading isn't favorable to business.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-caterpillar-quinn,0,6225023.story
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:34:09 AM »

Hopefully they would stay in the US.  Regardless, what would you (and I dont mean this to sound as accusatory as it probably sounds) have Illinois do?  A company, like caterpillar or GE, can and should get the tax laws to be as advantageous as possible.  No taxes at all (like GE) would be ideal  Thats in their best interests, no problem with that MO. 

That said, the state has other interests.  The public has other interests.  Yes, the state doesn't want to kill jobs sure, but it needs to generate revenue...protect the public safety/welfare (ie regulations that keep companies from abusing workers, or from hiring illegals).  Not saying Illinois does any of those (I'm sure you can provide me 60 examples of illegals being tolerated in the workforce)...but i hope you get the point.  Its all give and take...how much should the people and state of Illinois give and how much should Caterpillar be allowed to take?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »

They shouldn't be allowed to move.  Its like allowing the burglar to walk out of your house with the police looking on.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:01 PM »

Hopefully they would stay in the US.  Regardless, what would you (and I dont mean this to sound as accusatory as it probably sounds) have Illinois do?  A company, like caterpillar or GE, can and should get the tax laws to be as advantageous as possible.  No taxes at all (like GE) would be ideal  Thats in their best interests, no problem with that MO. 

That said, the state has other interests.  The public has other interests.  Yes, the state doesn't want to kill jobs sure, but it needs to generate revenue...protect the public safety/welfare (ie regulations that keep companies from abusing workers, or from hiring illegals).  Not saying Illinois does any of those (I'm sure you can provide me 60 examples of illegals being tolerated in the workforce)...but i hope you get the point.  Its all give and take...how much should the people and state of Illinois give and how much should Caterpillar be allowed to take?

Texas would cut them a sweet deal
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »

Texas would cut them a sweet deal

Wouldn't surprise me!

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:03:04 AM »

Sears joins the parade

Associated Press

Sears researching possible move from Illinois

Associated Press, 05.09.11

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. -- Sears Holdings Corp. is researching a possible move outside the state of Illinois.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/05/09/general-specialized-consumer-services-il-sears-illinois-headquarters_8457663.html
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »

Sears is about 5 minutes from bankruptcy anyway. Doubtful they could afford a Uhaul to Indiana.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

Look how many are left though
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »

They should all move to Jaurez, or Shenzen, Carl Heydan. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 12:49:22 PM »

Interesting also that Carl doesn't mention the companies that have moved to Illinois recently.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2011, 04:57:19 PM by True Federalist »

Interesting also that Carl doesn't mention the companies that have moved to Illinois recently.

It is not interesting.  It is predictable.  Anything that contradicts his axioms or even suggests they might not be the whole explanation for something is never posted by him.  He is a highly partisan poster, not a reporter, so don't ding him for not being objective, as he has never claimed to be objective.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »

It is not interesting.  It is predictable.  Anything that contradicts his axioms or even suggests they might not be the whole explanation for something is never posted by him.  He is a highly partisan poster, not a reporter, so don't ding him for not being objective, as he has never claimed to be objective.
He's not really partisan as much as ideological. I don't think he's ready to give out any medals to the GOP.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 01:53:25 AM »

Please list them!!!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 03:17:59 AM »

Companies only run downhill, like sewage, Carl.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 02:06:12 AM »

CME Group calls tax situation 'untenable;' says it may exit state

Reuters

10:53 a.m. CDT, July 28, 2011

CME Group Inc. is evaluating whether to move some operations to other states from Chicago to reduce its taxes, but it has not decided on an exact timeline, CEO Craig Donohue said Thursday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-cme-group-says-tax-situation-is-untenable-may-exit-state-20110728,0,6322503.story
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »

Dude, learn how to read links, please.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 01:34:32 AM »

Policy Chart: Illinois Loses Most Jobs in the Nation

8/19/2011

In a trend that continues to worsen, more Illinoisans found themselves unemployed in the month of July.

http://www.illinoispolicy.org/news/article.asp?ArticleSource=4362
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies