Go Tutu!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:00:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Go Tutu!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Go Tutu!  (Read 1514 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2004, 03:20:55 AM »

Archbishop Desmond Tutu has been having a war of words with President Sellout Thabo Mbeki:

Tutu:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sellout:

Tutu:
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 03:38:54 AM »

Archbishop Desmond Tutu has been having a war of words with President Sellout Thabo Mbeki:

Tutu:

Sellout:

Tutu:

*yawn*

Let me know when the boers start the civil war.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 10:08:19 PM »

Tutu:

Sellout:

Tutu:

*yawn*

Let me know when the boers start the civil war.
They won't.  It is not their way.  And they are being wiped out.  It is very sad.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 12:59:56 AM »

I must admit, Tutu has always been higher in my eyes then Mandela, because Mandela has allowed his country to become a one-party state.

Sure Tutu is religious, but I did a politics project on him earlier this year, and nothing bad about him was able to be found. He is a good human being, and whilst Nelson Mandela is also, Tutu just never stops being an amazing gentleman.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 03:07:00 AM »

I must admit, Tutu has always been higher in my eyes then Mandela, because Mandela has allowed his country to become a one-party state.

Sure Tutu is religious, but I did a politics project on him earlier this year, and nothing bad about him was able to be found. He is a good human being, and whilst Nelson Mandela is also, Tutu just never stops being an amazing gentleman.

Desmond Tutu appeared a while back in Vancouver with the Dalai Lama and an Islamic woman whose identity I currently forget.  All three of them were apparently best of friends.  I distinctly recall how much I admired all three of them for being so tolerant of other beliefs.

People like Tutu represent everything that religion should be, if you ask me.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 03:56:08 AM »

Tutu is an amazing person.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 09:50:29 PM »

that should be put down, like Mandela should have been put down a long time ago.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 10:15:27 PM »

what for?

I no of no argument against Tutu that I can agree with.

A) He was entirely peaceful, and almost single handedly stopped a civil war in South Africa.

B) He stopped blacks from revenge killings and helped to integrate the society, and led the truth commission.

C) He has been prepared to fight for what he feels is right, but through peaceful means, and has been more sucessful then any other leader in recent timers. I personally believe he was the key to the end of Apartheid (as opposed to Mandela)and that without Tutu HIV/AIDS would be even worse; South Africa would be poor as hell, and whites would be killed at will by blacks.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 12:58:00 AM »

that should be put down, like Mandela should have been put down a long time ago.

There, there, Richius; we can't all murder people because they disagree with us. Smiley
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 11:29:11 PM »

what for?

I no of no argument against Tutu that I can agree with.

A) He was entirely peaceful, and almost single handedly stopped a civil war in South Africa.
No he did not.  There was never any threat of a civil war.

No he didn't.  Blacks wouldn't have attacked whites: whites were armed to the teeth.  Besides, the vast majority of blacks did not have any negative feelings towards the whites.  A very small, but very, very vocal minority stirred sh**t around.  If that minority tried to attack whites, they would have died fast.  Neither Mandela nor Tutu had anything to do with there being no civil war.

Mandela was a terrorist and murderer.  He is also a communist, having authored a book "How to be a good communist."  Mandela had very limited influence over the black people.  He had very little to do with collapsing the apartheid government.  The apartheid government fold.  The white people got tired of the sanctions, wanted to participate in world sporting events, and a bunch of other factors basically give rise to the NP.  It boggles my mind how the NP got to power.  In hindsight, the HNP was the party of choice.  People were demonized if they didn't vote for the NP.  The NP then collapsed, and the government with it.

You don't know your South African history very well.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 05:29:33 AM »

It's in the eye of the beholder. If you want to believe that Tutu didn't make the situation a helluva lot better then it would have been, fine. But if Winnie Mandela didn't have a counteractor in the black community, I believe sh**t would have been stirred, in a big way.

Tutu isn't the same as Neslon, and ABSOLUTELY not the same as Winnie Mandela. He's a moderate who was entirely peaceful. Through his books of the early 1980s in which he proposed numerous measures for slow integration, such as mixed schools and a basic wage, he created the core of the peaceful group, which almost exactly copied his aims in the books to their ideology.Tutu wasn't perfect, but he was the best-and he isn't a dog or a rabbit-he's a human-and no human deserves to be 'put down' (especially when they don't attack unjustly).

If you believe apartheid should've stayed, then you might say he attacked unjustly. But if that's what you believe, then YOU don't know your south African istory very well, and just what apartheid was.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies