Tories are Stupid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:25:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tories are Stupid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tories are Stupid  (Read 905 times)
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2004, 05:40:54 AM »

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=587784

Yet again the Tories seem to think they'll get elected by swinging to the right! What complete buffoons.
What idiots are running this party?
I recall an opinion poll released just before Duncan Smith was elected leader....
It declared that Ken Clarke and Portillo were the 2 most liked Tories in the UK as a whole. So then they elect IDS (who everyone thought was boring) as leader.... and then Michael Howard, who is singularly the most unpopular Tory in the UK!
I can only conclude that Tories are inherently stupid. Do they like losing elections or what?
Here's a quick lesson to the UK Conservative Party....
Elect a leader which most non-Tories like, that way you'll get some of them to vote Conservative. Hardly brain surgery is it?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 06:40:02 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If Howard goes down the route of the Bush approach to social issues, he won't get elected in a month of Sundays. Going down a route of trying to appeal some sort of "Evangelical Christianity" just won't work in the UK; So called "traditional values" just aren't held by a significant portion of the electorate any more. There's certainly no patience for the anti-gay rights rhetoric that Bush can get away with, and I can't imagine that abstinence preaching would go down well either. Try to fight a campaing on these issues and Howard will lose, awfully, as every voter under the age of 35 just won't be able to vote for him.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 07:13:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If Howard goes down the route of the Bush approach to social issues, he won't get elected in a month of Sundays. Going down a route of trying to appeal some sort of "Evangelical Christianity" just won't work in the UK; So called "traditional values" just aren't held by a significant portion of the electorate any more. There's certainly no patience for the anti-gay rights rhetoric that Bush can get away with, and I can't imagine that abstinence preaching would go down well either. Try to fight a campaing on these issues and Howard will lose, awfully, as every voter under the age of 35 just won't be able to vote for him.

It just proves how seriously out of touch many people in the Tory party are.
The big issues for people in the UK are crime, the economy and tax. The only people who care about things like personal morality are the old blue rinse brigade who vote conservative anyway. IDS is an even bigger idiot than I first thought if he thinks that campaigning on a morality ticket will win votes. Just 3 words.... Back to Basics! Abortion, abstinence and gay sex might be major issues in the US, but not here. The UK is not religious and Brits are extremely intollerant of people snooping into their private lives.
I just can't understand where the Tories get all this rubbish from?

Unless the Tory party want to be consigned to the history books they need to forget this obsession with sex and family values. No-one is interested in it apart from them and it's costing them dearly at the polls.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 05:37:28 AM »

I kinda wanted Howard Dean to win the nomination and election, and for Tony Blair to make a huge error and call the election early when his popularity was at about 40%, so we'd have the three Howards as the anglosphere leaders. Is there are prominent Howard in Canada? Not that Canada matter of course...

Still, i'd prefer Blair to win and i'd've preferred Latham to win, but it would've been cool.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 07:35:38 PM »

Damn all you labour to hell!!!

....but somehow I can't help but agree that a far right swing and howard as leader is basically a conservative firing squad lined up in a circle......
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies