New Post a Picture of Yourself
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:27:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  New Post a Picture of Yourself
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 38
Author Topic: New Post a Picture of Yourself  (Read 83812 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2004, 01:19:35 AM »

J-Mann,

Are you a farmer? Thats cool. I really respect the farmers of this country. Florida raises a lot of cattle as well. How many acres do you have?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2004, 01:54:26 AM »

J-Mann,

Are you a farmer? Thats cool. I really respect the farmers of this country. Florida raises a lot of cattle as well. How many acres do you have?

I grew up in the country most definitely, but my family does not farm.  I've spent several summers helping with wheat harvest, though.  Most of the farmers around my area had around a section of land, which is close to 700 acres.  A few of the larger operations had 2,000 acres; and that's just wheat farming, mind you.  There's plenty of milo, oats, soybeans, and a bit of corn to go around in Kansas.

Now I work on a dairy farm in addition to finishing up my bachelor's degrees.  We have 200 cows, 150 heifers, and right at around 50 very young calves.  The average cow on our dairy produces 87 pounds of milk per day.  It's a cool job; great stress relief to be outside, doing manual labor, and being around animals.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2004, 01:57:22 AM »

As Mr. Douglas once said on Green Acres, "the American Farmer is the backbone of our nation's economy,"
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2004, 02:00:54 AM »

J-Mann,

I grew up in the country most definitely, but my family does not farm.  I've spent several summers helping with wheat harvest, though.  Most of the farmers around my area had around a section of land, which is close to 700 acres.  A few of the larger operations had 2,000 acres; and that's just wheat farming, mind you.  There's plenty of milo, oats, soybeans, and a bit of corn to go around in Kansas.

Now I work on a dairy farm in addition to finishing up my bachelor's degrees.  We have 200 cows, 150 heifers, and right at around 50 very young calves.  The average cow on our dairy produces 87 pounds of milk per day.  It's a cool job; great stress relief to be outside, doing manual labor, and being around animals.

Dairy Farming is quite a big thing here as well. I've been to Kansas and I thought it was a pretty nice state. I'd like to go back one day.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2004, 02:04:33 AM »

Dairy Farming is quite a big thing here as well. I've been to Kansas and I thought it was a pretty nice state. I'd like to go back one day.

Glad you liked it and hope you'll be back one day.  Finding beauty in Kansas is all a matter of perspective.  I personally love the land, and nowhere on earth can produce sunsets that compare to those of Central Kansas, in my opinion.  I live in the middle of the state where the hills meet the plains, so we've got a lot of bluffs and genuinely beautiful country here.  I hate it that so many think of us as nothing more than flyover country.

Interestingly enough, I may well be in Florida next year for Graduate School.  I'm in the process of applying to FSU.
Bugs

« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2004, 02:51:50 PM »

Glad you liked it and hope you'll be back one day.  Finding beauty in Kansas is all a matter of perspective.  I personally love the land, and nowhere on earth can produce sunsets that compare to those of Central Kansas, in my opinion.  I live in the middle of the state where the hills meet the plains, so we've got a lot of bluffs and genuinely beautiful country here.  I hate it that so many think of us as nothing more than flyover country.

Interestingly enough, I may well be in Florida next year for Graduate School.  I'm in the process of applying to FSU.

I lived in Oberlin, Kansas for sever years.  That's northwest of Hays.  We milked 'em by hand.  I loved Kansas.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2004, 03:01:27 PM »

I lived in Oberlin, Kansas for sever years.  That's northwest of Hays.  We milked 'em by hand.  I loved Kansas.

Ah, my dad grew up in Oberlin.  I still have an aunt who lives there.  And here's what I was talking about with Central Kansas sunsets, for all of you unfamiliar with them:

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2004, 03:02:07 PM »

I have my fair share of girls (THESE ARE ALL FRIENDS OF MINE...SO NO DIRTY COMMENTS PLEASE):

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2004, 04:44:52 PM »

I have my fair share of girls (THESE ARE ALL FRIENDS OF MINE...SO NO DIRTY COMMENTS PLEASE):

They are quite possibly the hottest picture unavailibles I've ever seen.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2004, 05:35:35 PM »

Who's the blurry girl?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2004, 06:22:24 PM »

Chelsea Smiley
Bugs

« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2004, 11:35:36 PM »

Ah, my dad grew up in Oberlin.  I still have an aunt who lives there.  And here's what I was talking about with Central Kansas sunsets, for all of you unfamiliar with them:

Reminds me of Oberlin.
danwxman

« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2004, 12:04:39 AM »

What beauty or uniqueness is there to Kansas that you cannot find in Nebraska, Oklahoma, the Dakotas, or eastern Colorado?
Bugs

« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2004, 12:15:39 AM »

I don't know about J-Mann, but my feeling is not so much that Kansas is unique, but that there is beauty.  Lots of people think it's just in the way when you're driving to Denver. 
Now Nebraska is a different story.  I saw a sign there that said, "scenic overlook ahead."  When I got there it was a speed bump.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2004, 12:19:01 AM »

Wow, now that's pretty.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2004, 01:07:36 AM »

What beauty or uniqueness is there to Kansas that you cannot find in Nebraska, Oklahoma, the Dakotas, or eastern Colorado?

A beauty and uniqueness that I'm sure you couldn't appreciate or understand.  I happen to be quite proud of my state, which has qualities altogether different from any of the aforementioned states.  If you've never hiked the Smoky Hills, you wouldn't understand.  If you've never visited Little Jerusalem or Castle Rock, you wouldn't appreciate my pride in Kansas.  It's much more than flat ground.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2004, 01:21:10 AM »

I understand where you are coming from J-Mann. A person should be proud to be from the state in which they were born.
danwxman

« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2004, 01:29:48 AM »

I understand where you are coming from J-Mann. A person should be proud to be from the state in which they were born.

All this stuff about "pride" and "heritage" is silly. People can have pride in whatever they want and I can think other people's pride is silly.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2004, 01:40:27 AM »

All this stuff about "pride" and "heritage" is silly. People can have pride in whatever they want and I can think other people's pride is silly.

I can understand why you don't have any pride considering your avatar.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2004, 01:44:17 AM »

I'd just ask you that you keep this in mind: deriding someone's pride or beliefs solely because "you have the right" is rather a waste of your time.  It's not silly to have pride in one's country, or nationality, or any number of accomplishments.  It's justified, as is my affection for my state.  I understand though; Kansas is often one of the most ridiculed states, and I wouldn't expect many others to get where I'm coming from.

StatesRights understands though Wink
danwxman

« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2004, 01:45:33 AM »

lol, well...considering the country was founded in my state, I think I have the right to more pride then you do...but anyways...

p.s. I do have pride in that we kicked some southern ass in Gettysburg..
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2004, 01:46:38 AM »

I'm not sure what's so silly about it.  I'm very proud of Canada and British Columbia.  It's natural to develop a certain affection for the place you grew up in.
danwxman

« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2004, 01:47:46 AM »

I'm not sure what's so silly about it.  I'm very proud of Canada and British Columbia.  It's natural to develop a certain affection for the place you grew up in.

Pride is fine with me....I just think having pride in Kansas is like having pride in a toothpick.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2004, 01:48:44 AM »

Pride is fine with me....I just think having pride in Kansas is like having pride in a toothpick.

And I think you're being insulting just for the hell of it, which is a bit uncalled for.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2004, 01:50:56 AM »

lol, well...considering the country was founded in my state, I think I have the right to more pride then you do...but anyways...

p.s. I do have pride in that we kicked some southern ass in Gettysburg..

The country was NOT founded in Pennsylvania. The first colony was Virginia. And it could be argued that Virginia founded the country. I mean they did have the first Thanksgiving in Virginia, way before Massachusetts had it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies