who do you THINK will win the 2012 Republican nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:49:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  who do you THINK will win the 2012 Republican nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: who do you THINK will win the 2012 Republican nomination? [last Intrade transaction price in brackets]
Mitt Romney [25.3]

Tim Pawlenty [12.5]

Mitch Daniels [11.8]

Mike Huckabee [8.4]

Sarah Palin [6.3]

Newt Gingrich [5.4]

John Huntsman [4.8]

Michelle Bachmann [3.9]

Haley Barbour [3.3]

Chris Christie [3.0]

other (please kindly specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: who do you THINK will win the 2012 Republican nomination?  (Read 7664 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2011, 01:59:18 PM »

Huntsman is his own special case; he's never going to get anywhere near the nomination.

Not even in 2016?
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »

I feel like the establishment will throw its weight behind Daniels and he'll ultimately win it, if he runs anyway.
Won't the establishment at least be split if Romney is in? Or do you think that he will crash and burn?

Most of the establishment doesn't seemed too thrilled with Romney right now anyways.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »

The fact that his nickname is T-Paw is proof that he has name recognition.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »

Last I checked it was 45%, which doesn't hold a candle to Romney and Gingrich. Mostly the problem is his incredible blandness. He's been basically jumping up and down, waving his hands and yelling without anyone noticing or saying much more than "Meh." Even advocating DADT repeal caused barely a ripple, if one of the better-known contenders had done that it would've had a whole news cycle devoted to it.

Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »

Last I checked it was 45%, which doesn't hold a candle to Romney and Gingrich. Mostly the problem is his incredible blandness. He's been basically jumping up and down, waving his hands and yelling without anyone noticing or saying much more than "Meh." Even advocating DADT repeal caused barely a ripple, if one of the better-known contenders had done that it would've had a whole news cycle devoted to it.

True enough, but sadly he's probably going to place second in the primaries.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »

Huntsman is his own special case; he's never going to get anywhere near the nomination.

Not even in 2016?

Not unless the Republican Party pulls a 180 on gay rights in the next five years and forgets that he worked for Obama.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »

I guess Romney
milhouse24
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »

I'm sticking with the Romney conventional wisdom until I see a Republican candidate (who's likely to actually run) that doesn't fall into one of the two groups that all the current likely candidates fall into: boring (Daniels/Pawlenty) or unelectable (Gingrich/Barbour). Huntsman is his own special case; he's never going to get anywhere near the nomination.

why would you think Barbour is unelectable, because he is a governor who is a fat southern redneck, just like some other guy from Arkansas who won. 

Side note, christian conservatives hate Romney.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »

I'm sticking with the Romney conventional wisdom until I see a Republican candidate (who's likely to actually run) that doesn't fall into one of the two groups that all the current likely candidates fall into: boring (Daniels/Pawlenty) or unelectable (Gingrich/Barbour). Huntsman is his own special case; he's never going to get anywhere near the nomination.

why would you think Barbour is unelectable, because he is a governor who is a fat southern redneck, just like some other guy from Arkansas who won. 

Clinton wasn't a tobacco lobbyist, nor did he sound like Boss Hogg when he talked. And then there are Barbour's issues with race relations.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »

Clinton wasn't a tobacco lobbyist, nor did he sound like Boss Hogg when he talked. And then there are Barbour's issues with race relations.

There's also the factor of holding your own base and then making inroads into the other side. There's a reason Colin Powell was considered a dream candidate for Republicans in the 1990s, but Obama was seen as a great risk.
milhouse24
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »

There's also the factor of holding your own base and then making inroads into the other side. There's a reason Colin Powell was considered a dream candidate for Republicans in the 1990s, but Obama was seen as a great risk.

The Republicans need a maverick, someone who will buck the conservative party and reach out to women, pro-choicers, anti-lobbyist, pro-campaign reform, war hero, anti-religious.  If the republicans nominate someone like that, they will surely win.  I know someone like that exists, he is my hero and he will be president some day.  He would win in a landslide!  Duh!
milhouse24
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2011, 04:46:59 PM »

It depends who would be the VP for Barbour.  Also, I know all the Black voters will vote against Obama if just the right Republican candidate comes along and convinces them, duh! 
Maybe the liberal media can convince one of them is hitler.
The republican party will live or die with the southern evangelical vote.  They will win once they add the Perot-Tea Party Deficit voters.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies