Romney/Gingrich (R) vs. Obama/Biden (D)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:05:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney/Gingrich (R) vs. Obama/Biden (D)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney/Gingrich (R) vs. Obama/Biden (D)  (Read 718 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »

Here's the idea: Mitt Romney wins the Republican nomination and tries to solidify his support in the South with Newt Gingrich, who is assumed to be able to counter a Truman-style run against a Congress that opposes everything that the President wants -- and solidify the GOP hold on the South. Romney's folks run the campaign, so does Gingrich's lack of experience in statewide campaigns and inability or lack of desire to get a Cabinet post make him a blunder? Or is he a brilliant choice?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »

Personally, not the best choice, but it would probably satisfy the party. In terms of going up against Obama I don't think Gingrich has enough appeal, but he'd probably keep GA and MO on the Republican side.

It all depends on the economy though. The economy is in the tank, then Gingrich can only help, if the economy improves then he'll probably have little to no effect.

R: 332
D: 206

Economy improves:

D: 347
R: 191
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »

Gingrich as VP is a very odd move. Though the debate would be a repeat of Biden-Palin, only this time Gingrich would be whopping Biden. If Romney only ties Obama, then you have the same problem as 08 differently, some people want the ticket switched. (Although it would be because of brains instead of conservative credentials).

I don't think he'd hold on to the south, as much as he could help with bringing in money and using his contacts to support the campaign, and debating of course
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »

In this case I vote for a Libertarian/Constuition Party Alliance ticket of Chuck Baldwin (C-IN)/Wayne Allen Root (L-NY)

Notice I listed them as from their native born states. Baldwin having been born a Hoosier and Root from New York. Though I'm aware Baldwin is a resident of Montana and Root is a resident of Nevada.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »

Here's the idea: Mitt Romney wins the Republican nomination and tries to solidify his support in the South with Newt Gingrich, who is assumed to be able to counter a Truman-style run against a Congress that opposes everything that the President wants -- and solidify the GOP hold on the South. Romney's folks run the campaign, so does Gingrich's lack of experience in statewide campaigns and inability or lack of desire to get a Cabinet post make him a blunder? Or is he a brilliant choice?

That's partially why I suggested Demint or Coburn rather than Gingrich. Neither of them has that personal baggage.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »

Personally, not the best choice, but it would probably satisfy the party. In terms of going up against Obama I don't think Gingrich has enough appeal, but he'd probably keep GA and MO on the Republican side.

It all depends on the economy though. The economy is in the tank, then Gingrich can only help, if the economy improves then he'll probably have little to no effect.

R: 332
D: 206

Economy improves:

D: 347
R: 191

I wonder what kind of gerrymandering would get the Maine EV to a Republican.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »

I don't seee how Gingrich could help anyone.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »

That's partially why I suggested Demint or Coburn rather than Gingrich. Neither of them has that personal baggage.

Everyone has baggage. DeMint pissed off everyone in the Senate by endorsing tea party candidates, that's baggage. It's not an affair, but IMHO it could be much worse since it fractures the inner GOP powerhouse.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 05:24:12 PM »

Everyone has baggage. DeMint pissed off everyone in the Senate by endorsing tea party candidates, that's baggage. It's not an affair, but IMHO it could be much worse since it fractures the inner GOP powerhouse.

I don't think the average joe cares too much about the feelings of 40 or so GOP Senators. It shouldn't and wouldn't resonate as much as Newt's baggage.

Coburn, for instance, provides free medical care to Oklahomans. He used to deliver babies until medical malpractice insurance premiums forced him to stop last year.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »

I don't think the average joe cares too much about the feelings of 40 or so GOP Senators. It shouldn't and wouldn't resonate as much as Newt's baggage.

Coburn, for instance, provides free medical care to Oklahomans. He used to deliver babies until medical malpractice insurance premiums forced him to stop last year.

Of course the average person doesn't care, but they're not the ones that make the president. The GOP power players are the ones that can raise the funds, the grassroots, the campaign staff, everything. They shape what the electorate sees and if they shrug their shoulders instead of pour in hundreds of millions combined for GOTV, commercials, etc., the average joe is going to vote for the other guy. Americans are no where near as informed as all of us on atlas, they only see snippits of politics, and most of it is some pathos 30 second ad.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies