Does the word "Virtue" sound archaic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:18:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Does the word "Virtue" sound archaic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Does the word "Virtue" sound archaic?  (Read 1738 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »

IMPORTANT NOTE: I don't mean the value itself, I mean the word alone.  I'm not asking whether the things signified by the word are outdated, I'm asking if the word sounds like a relic.

Yes.  I don't think anyone would title a book The Republic of Virtue in the 21st century.  The word has a sort of stuffy, Roman feel to it that conjures up images of marble busts of the ancients hectoring us.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:39:37 PM »

I tend to think of it more as being laughably nineteenth century, but I agree with the general sentiment.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »

Depends on the meaning of "virtue" one wants to reference.  Certainly it would be archaic in the selected example, just as the meaning of cult in Cult of Reason would be archaic.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »

it does sound ancient, but not archaic, since there is no better term for the concept.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »

No, but I"m an old.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 12:03:08 AM »

I'm a nerdy fan of old and archaic words.  And so, I actually think the word virtue is very cool.  According to its Latin etymology, it comes from "vir," which means "man" (as it is in the word "virile").  Generically, virtue means moral power, and sometimes just power or excellence, but its other senses in Latin have to do with manliness or valor (literally powers of a man).

I think we need this word now more than ever--this is no time to lose virtue.

Incidentally, I like the Chinese word most often translated into English as "virtue" too.  The word is 徳 (de--tone 2), and it combines characters that in classical literary Chinese mean "go" (彳), "straight" (直) and "heart/mind" (心).

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 02:20:18 AM »

I prefer the even more archaic word, virtu, which imports courage and strength into the mix, and without those, "virtue" is an flaccid concept.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »

I prefer the even more archaic word, virtu, which imports courage and strength into the mix, and without those, "virtue" is an flaccid concept.

Torie Purple heart Machiavelli.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »

Torie Purple heart Machiavelli.

As do I Cheesy
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:47:14 PM »

It is one word that I rarely if ever hear as a young person. We hear concepts like "justice" or "freedom" mentioned all the time, but "virtue".... that's from an older era. I have a friend who is into "Virtue Ethics" as opposed to utilitarian ethics and is trying to bring it back but in general my generation no longers uses that word. It is probably related to shifting cultural values on social issues like gay marriage because as a society we now care more about "justice" than "virtue" and "justice" is more utilitarian concept.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »

Itīs been an archaism (only in the context you mention, however) for quite a while now. At least to me it has a very Victorian ring.

Which doesnīt mean I donīt use it from time to time. For one thing, Irony can be a wonderful thing...

EDIT: Doing an Atlas forum search for the word "virtue" returned 29 pages... so..
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »

Both the word, and the meaning, virtue, never goes out of style.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »

No, and it needs to revived in today's culture.  Society needs to return to a life of virtues, not liberal virtues or conservative virtues, but American virtues.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »

No, and it needs to revived in today's culture.  Society needs to return to a life of virtues, not liberal virtues or conservative virtues, but American virtues.

And what virtues would those american virtues be exactly?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »

And what virtues would those american virtues be exactly?

The virtues that our founding father's gave birth to this great country with.  What destroys nations is drifting away from the ideals that made them a nation.  I'm afraid that America won't last too long if we keep drifting away from our founding ideals and virtues.  That commercial where the Chinese are reviewing what happened to America is a very real possibility.

I'm not necessarily saying Christian values, but the values that are common to people of all faiths, the values of love for your neighbor and for your enemy, removal of greed, pardoning of debts, respect for each other, remove bickering, hatred and envy, the focus on people's strengths and what they bring to the table, rather than on their weaknesses and what they cannot do.  Removal of "holier than thou" attitudes.  End the attitude that "I'm first and everyone else is second, therefore I'm going to make me happy regardless of how that affects my brother." Treat others as better than yourself.  Hospitality needs to be brought back into the forefront.  Those are the social values, but if we are to survive as a nation, we need to be smart and be frugal with our money and our resources.

If you notice, some of these virtues and values are Christian, but most are just plain common sense and common to people of all faiths and beliefs, even those without faith.

I'm pointing a finger not only at the non-Christians in our society, but also I'm pointing a big, boney finger at the Christians who shun people of different faiths and ideologies and sexual orientations.  While they don't have to agree with the other person's faith, ideology, and sexual orientation, they need to pray for them and be their friend, not be judgmental.  The God I serve calls us to be a servant and be a friend to those who need and are crying out for friends, not just our own.  The Bible also clearly says "If you love your neighbor only, what credit is that to you?"  The Bible clearly teaches to love your neighbors and enemies.

Thirdly, I'm pointing a finger at myself for losing sight of some of these virtues.  I ask my God every day for forgiveness and strength to do what is right.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies