Texas the next Colorado? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:24:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Texas the next Colorado? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas the next Colorado?  (Read 9535 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 22, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »

This could be what 2032 looks like-

The sun belt and the west becoming more moderate/liberal and the rust belt becoming realigning with the rural south to become the next GOP coalition.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »

This could be what 2032 looks like-

The sun belt and the west becoming more moderate/liberal and the rust belt becoming realigning with the rural south to become the next GOP coalition.

Not sure about Utah, but other than that I could see this happening.

As for Texas being a swing state in 2012, LOL.
Don't poo poo Utah swingin'...its swinging pretty fast in Salt Lake and more and more people are movin' in. What happened elsewhere in the states around Utah is happening in Utah.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:42:05 PM »

Exactly. Vermont. New Hampshire. California. Need I go on?...and who knew that Alabama would be Republican?

I would think this would be a 53% vote-

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »

Probably not, but who knows?

Texas might be a Democratic state in 2032, just as New York might be solid R in 2036.

But at this point the Democrats look pretty dead in the Lone Star State.

Democrat and Republican party would have to take a full 360 for that to happen on their platform issues.

I'm not relying on that at all.

I am thinking that the GOP in the next 25 years will-

Economics- Stay pretty much the same, perhaps more extreme. Probably officially call for an end of the NLRA and SSA, among other things or stay the same.

Socially- Probably get the message on gays and misdemeanor drug crimes. Will take abortion out of the religious context and add it with immigration into a "law and order" context.

The Republican Party will be like it is today, just less overtly religious and more overtly crazy.

Democrats-

Economics- Probably will continue to fight for "medicare for all", but will probably get the message on social security.

Socially- Will probably stay more or less the same. Maybe they will start to get the message on guns...

The real change in America will be that people from all over the country and the world will be seeking a better life in better climes and when they are eventually done being taken advantage of (it takes about 2 generations/40 years on average) they will start to swing places like TX, AZ, UT and FL to Dems. Those people will be gone in the rust belt and the population there will look a lot like it does on the other side of the Ohio River.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:10:41 PM »

Probably not, but who knows?

Texas might be a Democratic state in 2032, just as New York might be solid R in 2036.

But at this point the Democrats look pretty dead in the Lone Star State.

Democrat and Republican party would have to take a full 360 for that to happen on their platform issues.

I'm not relying on that at all.

I am thinking that the GOP in the next 25 years will-

Economics- Stay pretty much the same, perhaps more extreme. Probably officially call for an end of the NLRA and SSA, among other things or stay the same.

Socially- Probably get the message on gays and misdemeanor drug crimes. Will take abortion out of the religious context and add it with immigration into a "law and order" context.

The Republican Party will be like it is today, just less overtly religious and more overtly crazy.

Democrats-

Economics- Probably will continue to fight for "medicare for all", but will probably get the message on social security.

Socially- Will probably stay more or less the same. Maybe they will start to get the message on guns...

The real change in America will be that people from all over the country and the world will be seeking a better life in better climes and when they are eventually done being taken advantage of (it takes about 2 generations/40 years on average) they will start to swing places like TX, AZ, UT and FL to Dems. Those people will be gone in the rust belt and the population there will look a lot like it does on the other side of the Ohio River.

How do the Dems make such dramatic gains in the Mountain West and maintain a 40 permanent majority in New England without becoming noticeably more libertarian?  Also, wouldn't VA and maybe MS (changing demographics) be more competitive for them than UT? 

Like I said, give it 25 years.

Let's see about this-

1980-
California- R +7
Colorado- R +17
Mississippi- D +9
Kentucky-  D +8
Montana- R +14
New York- D +7

2008-
California- D +17
Colorado- D +2
Mississippi- R +24
Kentucky- R +25
Montana- R +10
New York- D +13

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

I mean, this is what appears to happening and it could change...but it simply appears that the sunbelt is going through what the rust belt went through in the Early 20th century under FDR- it went from Republican to Democratic as wealth, diversity and inequality grew.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies