Even if there isn't a god
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:59:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Even if there isn't a god
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Even if there isn't a god  (Read 673 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:19:25 AM »

Could the theoretical possibility for a "god" to exist leave the door open for such a spirit to forge itself in and out of existence at any given time? Like, there's no god today and there never was one before today, but there's one tomorrow and then it disappears next week and comes back in 3.5 million years? OR MAYBE, like in between atoms or something an intangible being can just spontaneously develop under the right conditions the same way life and all of the universe's processes can?

Yes, I am stoned.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:26:08 AM »

You can find god in the pulses of this laser. He commands great power (1.5 Terawatts), but only exists for a short pulse of  time (40 femtoseconds) and then doesn't come back for another tenth of a second, and so his average power is a mere 600 milliwatts.

http://www.cdpsystems.com/mpaxl.html
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 07:26:25 AM »

Could the theoretical possibility for a "god" to exist leave the door open for such a spirit to forge itself in and out of existence at any given time? Like, there's no god today and there never was one before today, but there's one tomorrow and then it disappears next week and comes back in 3.5 million years? OR MAYBE, like in between atoms or something an intangible being can just spontaneously develop under the right conditions the same way life and all of the universe's processes can?

Yes, I am stoned.

That is actually a good question. I do not believe that anything can 'forge itself' into being i.e from being nothing to being sentient and powerful. However it is entirely possible that something that already exists could acquire a 'god like' power. However it could only be considered 'god like' by a lower life form.

The Kardashev Scale is a good start point. While it mostly deals with energy consumption and utilisation (and space colonisation - as there is a point where you need more energy than the Earth alone can produce) it falls into three types.  A Type I civilization has achieved mastery of the resources of its home planet, Type II of its solar system, and Type III of its galaxy.

Given that there are potentially 50 billion planets out there it is entirely possible that a civilisation could be a type II or III and could exert a 'god like' influence either directly through intervention or indirectly on a less advanced world.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:59:23 AM »

For something god like to just pop into being like suggested in the question is improbable to the point of being nigh impossible. Anything god like would come about from gradual steps, gaining only small amounts of complexity along the way. And as afleitch points out, god like is relative - a primitive tribe with no experience of modern technology would find our civilization to be god like, at least for a time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »

Well there used to be a theory that mass was created out of nothing, so why not God?  I find the universe quite confusing actually.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »

Well there used to be a theory that mass was created out of nothing, so why not God?  I find the universe quite confusing actually.

So do I, but in what way(s) do you find it confusing?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies