Education in Finland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:13:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Education in Finland
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Education in Finland  (Read 1074 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:41:46 PM »
« edited: February 17, 2011, 11:43:28 PM by Frodo »

Finland leads the world when it comes to the quality of its educational system.

What are they doing right, and what can the United States learn from them?  Granted we are talking about two different countries (but still fundamentally western societies), but whatever has worked over there is something worth emulating here.  
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:02:01 AM »

I don't really know that much about what their system is like, but in Sweden there is a stero type that Finish schools are really stric and has military disipline on their students. Probably somewhat of an exaderation, but I think better disipline could improve the education standard in a lot of Western countries.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:58:12 AM »

I don't really know that much about what their system is like, but in Sweden there is a stero type that Finish schools are really stric and has military disipline on their students. Probably somewhat of an exaderation, but I think better disipline could improve the education standard in a lot of Western countries.

Isn't that true about Finnish society in general? They're the only country in the EU, as far as I'm aware, that has explicity said they value conscription's benefits enough to maintain it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:50:33 AM »

Finland has a pretty strict system, at least when compared to Sweden.

They also have a very unified school system, I believe with relatively little independence for schools when making the curriculum and so on.

And being a school-teacher remains a very highly valued position in Finland. The pay isn't great but you need very good grades to become a teacher. From what I've heard it's supposedly about as difficult as becoming a doctor in Finland. That should lead to better quality of teaching.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:43:44 AM »

In Finland conscription has large support, it has to do with certain neighbors of ours (not Sweden).

Bloody Norway, ehy?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:05:34 PM »

And being a school-teacher remains a very highly valued position in Finland. The pay isn't great but you need very good grades to become a teacher. From what I've heard it's supposedly about as difficult as becoming a doctor in Finland. That should lead to better quality of teaching.

Then that's the key to improving education in the United States.  The standing of teachers here will not reach the level seen in Finland overnight, but in the meantime we can work to create a more nurturing environment for graduate school-level prospective teachers by bringing standards in education schools up to the level typically expected in medical, business, and law schools.  

Is it not also true that teachers unions are all-powerful in Finland?  How does that square with Finland's high educational rankings?  And do teachers there 'teach to the test' the way they do here in the United States?   Do they encourage creative thinking among students there in Finland?

Are there any books (in English) that can shed light on education in Finland?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »

It makes no sense to make teachers and education students to meet as high standards as doctors and lawyers. Especially if you don't plan on paying them as well.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »

I think that it probably has to do with discipline and quality of teachers. In many countries in Eastern Europe (including mine) the decline of those also lead to the decline of the educational system.

It makes no sense to make teachers and education students to meet as high standards as doctors and lawyers. Especially if you don't plan on paying them as well.
It makes sense, as the Finish example shows. What doesn't make sense is to not pay teachers well and not try to enforce standards. Which many countries do, with predictable results.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies