The Old Testament is one kick butt Daddy religion theological text isn't it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:05:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Old Testament is one kick butt Daddy religion theological text isn't it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Old Testament is one kick butt Daddy religion theological text isn't it?  (Read 1561 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »

So it would appear to me. Corporal punishment seems de rigueur, and there is no mommy to wipe away your tears. The below is making the rounds. I hope nobody is too offended, even the homophobes around here. I mean after all, don't the phobes look more to the New Testament for the gay bashing tracts (rather than the below), or am I wrong?  Anyway, I would hate to meet this professor emeritus in court. He'd shred me. Smiley

I am not sure where to put this thing, so I understand if Gustaf moves it to the some twilight zone if he so elects.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2011, 11:32:40 AM by jmfcst »

Anyway, I would hate to meet this professor emeritus in court. He'd shred me. Smiley

the "professor" Emeritus is a loin, a Christian could easily shred his arguments.  Also,  Schlesinger, a Jew, didn't have to rely on the Law of Moses, and thus could have avoided arguments about Moses' Law by citing the creation account which precedes Moses' Law.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »

That's Bronze Age literature for you Smiley
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:06:37 PM »

of course, you're purposely ignoring three facts:

1) the fact the instructions are independent of the level of technology, just as the New Testament teachings are independent of the level of technology.

2) the New Testament, written over a thousand years after the bronze age ended, affirms the Law of Moses as given by God.

3) the New Testament affirms that homosexuality is sinful and rooted in shameful lust
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The chaps who wrote the New Testament probably needed to go to my anti-aging clinic. If their free testosterone count was over 300, color me amazed.

In any event, you don't know how much I enjoy living in perpetual shame these days. I just hope hell is as good.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »

of course, you're purposely ignoring three facts:

1) the fact the instructions are independent of the level of technology, just as the New Testament teachings are independent of the level of technology.

2) the New Testament, written over a thousand years after the bronze age ended, affirms the Law of Moses as given by God.

3) the New Testament affirms that homosexuality is sinful and rooted in shameful lust

So the existance of a god (your god) is 'fact' now is it? You may call them opinion, you may call them beliefs but you cannot call them fact.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »

Is it just me or is this a lot like a certain clip from The West Wing?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 08:08:38 PM »

So the existance of a god (your god) is 'fact' now is it? You may call them opinion, you may call them beliefs but you cannot call them fact.

obviously, the facts I referred to was in reference to what is written, not the accuracy of what was written.

Example:  Saying, "It is a fact the bible says that God exists"  is not the same thing as saying, "It is a fact that God exists."

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 08:27:27 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2011, 08:28:58 PM by Sen. Mark Mattenburgh »

I think the point here is entirely side-tracked. If you are a Jew who believes that you should be stoned for being a homosexual, does that mean you must conduct yourself exactly as the Old Testament commands in order to have a real issue with homosexuality being an "
"obamanation" Tongue?  I think the law of Equity its called the "Law of Unclean Hands".
Unfortunately for Christian Nationalists, Christianity is about everyone having "Unclean Hands". 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »

of course, there is Mother God imagery in Isaiah.
really the OT is quite varied. but what else would you expect coming from a millenium long tradition of writings?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 11:47:34 PM »

really the OT is quite varied. but what else would you expect coming from a millenium long tradition of writings?

"as a mother" does not equate to "is a mother"
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »

This just has potential 'fail' written all over it
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »

exactly. if God wasn't literally the Father, how could he have impregnated the virgin Mary!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 07:17:29 PM »

exactly. if God wasn't literally the Father, how could he have impregnated the virgin Mary!
...uhhh he's God? You're probably right, though. I mean, Jesus is definitely a "he" but what about the non-tangible spirits of "the Father" and "The Holy Spirit"? Does it matter?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 09:26:01 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2011, 09:28:25 PM by The Mikado »

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

I first got this one about a decade ago.

It's worth pointing out that most of the really problematic verses in the laws of Moses are placed in a much more humane context by the commentary of the Talmud (for example, the stoning your children for mouthing off at you).  The Talmud, more than anything, is the document that governs Jewish interpretation of the Mosaic Laws, and any Orthodox Jew worth his/her salt could respond to that list by saying, "Ah, but you haven't read Rabbi so-and-so's commentary on what verse X really means" and get out of the ethical dilemma.

For example, the easiest one on the list, number 4.  It asks about sacrificing a bull, right?  Sacrifice is only permitted at the Temple in Jerusalem, said Temple no longer exists, therefore no sacrifice, end of question.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies