Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:36:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55
Author Topic: Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.  (Read 186394 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: October 22, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »

I'm npwhere near hypocritical enough to pretend this outcome wasn't the best one possible as far as I'm concerned. What would have been the use of a trial for crimes against humanity? Those things are at best just edified lynching parties, at worst they mean the war criminal gets to die an easy death in a The Hague mini-appartment . Also, when a dictator of multiple decades falls, exterminating all possibility of a restoration is the way to go.

Thank you Smiley You speak the truth.

Unfortunately, a lot of German media I've seen is doing the usual show. Not quite as bad as with Bin Laden, of course (but then I guess it's not as bad if America doesn't do it). Wink

Yeah, it is always interesting to see how the respective medias handle a news story.  I was down in Chile when Bin Laden got plugged and they kept saying he was assassinated. That irked me.

Now about the tact of celebrating someone's death, I must admit that Ive been pleased at several recent deaths.  Had Bin Laden been planted on terra firma I would have been more than happy to dance a jig all over his grave.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1326 on: October 22, 2011, 06:26:15 PM »

I'm npwhere near hypocritical enough to pretend this outcome wasn't the best one possible as far as I'm concerned. What would have been the use of a trial for crimes against humanity? Those things are at best just edified lynching parties, at worst they mean the war criminal gets to die an easy death in a The Hague mini-appartment . Also, when a dictator of multiple decades falls, exterminating all possibility of a restoration is the way to go.

Thank you. I was worried about this world with all those idiots going on about their whining about "zomgz it was evul!!11 war crimes!!11". Gaddafi was a mass-murderer, an authoritarian bastard of the most despicable kind, and a criminal who killed thousands of his own people in terrible atrocious condition. Maybe lynching isn't cute, but I really don't think that sh**t deserved any better. So can we cut out the bleeding-heart activism which is so pathetic?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1327 on: October 22, 2011, 08:21:04 PM »

Oh come on, no one is 'respected' for any other reason than power.  It happens Libya has never been a very powerful nation, and thus Gaddafi was a minor world figure.

However it is worth noting that the Imperialists did bother to attack him and have him murdered, so he must have been somewhat worth 'taking seriously'.

I never used the word 'respect'. But the thing with late-period Gaddafi was that Western governments (and related organisations) were taking his money (and getting him to get rid of his weapons; recent Western diplomatic/commercial involvement in Libya might have been sordid, but there were accidental (?) positive consequences) and laughing at him behind his back. He was a figure of fun; all those silly, silly costumes, along with his increasingly bizarre behavior and that entire eternity of half-baked drivel.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1328 on: October 22, 2011, 10:09:20 PM »

Gaddafi was a destabilizing influence at the point when he was killed.  The longer he lived, the worse the situation would get.  That would economic and political effects outside of Libya.  Inside Libya, more people would die.

I think you have to consider that.

(Shut up, BRTD, I'm agreeing with you.)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1329 on: October 23, 2011, 09:50:02 AM »

I, naturally, am happy to see another tyrant fall. I regret that it was so bloody, but with Gaddafi's regime being what it was there was never any chance of it being otherwise...

I'm also filled with a warm gleeful feeling thinking of how upset Gaddafi's international buddies are - the thought of Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, Daniel Ortega, Evo Morales, Rafael Correa, and Robert Mugabe screaming over this makes me smile. Smiley

I wonder what the Shinners think of this? Tongue

Ortega, Morales and Correa were elected democratically, so your attempt to tie them with Gaddhafi and Mugabe is a fail of epic proportions.

It makes no sense to accuse him of "attempting to tie them". They tied themselves to Gaddhafi when they, you know, voiced their support for him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1330 on: October 23, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »

متى سنعرف كيف مات هو؟

Just some excercises before incoming grammar text next week, lol
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1331 on: October 23, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »

متى سنعرف كيف مات هو؟

Just some excercises before incoming grammar text next week, lol
أبدا على الأرجح
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1332 on: October 23, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/libyas-transitional-leader-declares-liberation-155513082.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1333 on: October 23, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »

So, just like every other country that's predominantly Muslim? okay, sounds fine.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1334 on: October 23, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1335 on: October 23, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »

Ali Tarhouni seems to be the new Prime Minister for the transition period.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1336 on: October 24, 2011, 02:49:07 AM »

So, just like every other country that's predominantly Muslim? okay, sounds fine.
Are you totally ignorant or are you just being a hack on purpose?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_with_Sharia_rule.png
Or perhaps Turkey, Albania, Senegal, Mali, Niger, Chad, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are not countries?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1337 on: October 24, 2011, 03:18:22 AM »

Or perhaps Turkey, Albania, Senegal, Mali, Niger, Chad, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are not countries?

A little of column A, a little of column B.

The fight against theocratic rule is really only important for enlightened, Christian countries. The barbarians can't be expected to understand such things. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1338 on: October 24, 2011, 04:37:09 AM »

Dwight Gooden c. 1985 was the best pitcher of the divisional era; only Pedro Martinez c. 2000 really comes close.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1339 on: October 24, 2011, 06:20:43 AM »

I've just read an interview with one of Gaddafi's men, that was injured and taken prisoner the same day Muammar was killed. According to him, Gaddafi totally lost remaining touch with reality after fall of Tripoli, while hiding in Sirte.

Well, obviously life after the power was never a subject of his considerations.

I can't compare Gaddafi's decision to stay in Libya and hide with Saddam's decision to went underground after fall of Baghdad. Situation was diffrent: Saddam was a leader of occupied country, that retained not only support of a large population segment, but also a loyalty of strong Ba'ath network and was captured thanks to a stupid incident (as one of his bodyguards was dumb enough to take time off and go to date, where he was captured). Beside, Saddam was an old and experienced conspirator. Gaddafi, on the other hand, had no remaining support outside of his weakened tribe and was surrounded by enemies, his own people no less.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1340 on: October 24, 2011, 08:51:22 AM »

it is simply crazy to see leaders who don't understand religion helping to overthrow nonreligious dictators in support of Islamist elements...talk about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1341 on: October 24, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »

it is simply crazy to see leaders who don't understand religion helping to overthrow nonreligious dictators in support of Islamist elements...talk about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Why do you assume that Abdul Jalil doesn't understand religion?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1342 on: October 24, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »

Gadhafy had already managed to turn Libya into an Islamic state.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1343 on: October 24, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »

Yes, I just really hope they legalize alcohol.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1344 on: October 24, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »

Did you miss this part:

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1345 on: October 24, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »

Did you miss this part:

Freedom and democracy!
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1346 on: October 24, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »

I was referring to past and present POTUS
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1347 on: October 24, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »

Gaddafi obituary: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/20/colonel-muammar-gaddafi
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1348 on: October 24, 2011, 01:29:50 PM »

I was referring to past and present POTUS

They understand it better than you do, anyway. Also, Qaddafi wasn't a 'non-religious' dictator. Did you miss the part about him being the one who banned alcohol and instituted sharia law?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1349 on: October 24, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »

A little of column A, a little of column B.

The fight against theocratic rule is really only important for enlightened, Christian countries. The barbarians can't be expected to understand such things. 

So there are some exceptions, but the vast majority of Muslims live in countries with legal systems based to some degree on Islamic law

Regarding Gustaf's dumb strawman, one could also facetiously argue that systems of law should only be developed by enlightened, Christian peoples. The barbarians can't be trusted with the responsibility of writing their own legal codes. But one won't.

Come on Gustaf, I know you're not really a fan of Muslims, but let's not be a Sharia-fear-monger like some ignorant Oklahoman.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies