Egyptians can't be trusted with democracy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:07:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Egyptians can't be trusted with democracy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Egyptians can't be trusted with democracy  (Read 3329 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: February 12, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »

This thread is pointless. First of all, it is going to take decades of processes before we can see (if) a real democracy in Egypt and a whole region.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:01:41 AM »

If you poll a non-developed country, you won't get accurate results. Ever.

^^

this is very true. Furthermore, I would guess that polls in non-developed countries with a further history of authoritarian rule are even worse

In Arab countries it's actually very hard to count the population, much more "do polling" (the last census in Lebanon, for example, country considered much more developed than Egypt, was before WWII).

Stop thinking for a moment in European/American terms, when you're talking about very diffrent part of the world, for heaven's sake!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »

If you poll a non-developed country, you won't get accurate results. Ever.

^^

this is very true. Furthermore, I would guess that polls in non-developed countries with a further history of authoritarian rule are even worse

In Arab countries it's actually very hard to count the population, much more "do polling" (the last census in Lebanon, for example, country considered much more developed than Egypt, was before WWII).

Stop thinking for a moment in European/American terms, when you're talking about very diffrent part of the world, for heaven's sake!

Yes, I read that Egypt likely has a population of about 100 million, with would be 20 million more than the official government estimates.

That's common for Arab countries. There is no such thing like population records in our understanding. For example, my two Arab language professors, who came from Syria, have two birthdates: one legal and one actual.

There even such situations someone gets drafted to the army, but it turns out it's either kid or too old for service. No kidding.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies