Dept. of Fed. Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:39:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Dept. of Fed. Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Author Topic: Dept. of Fed. Elections  (Read 26818 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »

It only gets worse when you know two of Supreme Court Justices from then are still on the Bench (I am guessing since Sam Spade joined it in July 2008, and the case references July 17th 2008, that he was already on the bench?).

So no chance for them reversing it.

I know that Bullmoose and Sam Spade voted in favor of this ruling. I don't think opebo said anything throughout the entire thing. No idea what he or Ebowed would think now.

It says unanimous at the top of the wiki page.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »

I pestered Sam off and on for over a year to finally produce his more narrowly - and not openly nonsensical -  concurrent opinion.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »

Constitutional amendment time. Evil

Won't solve the current problem though.

I do kind of wonder if the Court could be convinced to change its ruling, though. I think there are some arguments that could be made...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »

It will be beyond silly to hold seperate elections.  Do the right thing.

The case dealt with absentee booths, which isn't an issue right now.

And my other problem is that the Constitution very strictly regulates when by-elections can be held.

In other words, I would be forced to hold both elections literally simultaneously.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »

The court's ruling was merely that the number of candidates in the special election could not be changed after absentee voting began.  While it ruled that portion of the law unconstitutional, that merely means that special elections do not have to be held in that manner, not that they cannot.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2011, 11:51:27 AM »

Constitutional amendment time. Evil

Won't solve the current problem though.

I do kind of wonder if the Court could be convinced to change its ruling, though. I think there are some arguments that could be made...

You have to decide what you want to do here. If you think you have a good case then go for it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »

The court's ruling was merely that the number of candidates in the special election could not be changed after absentee voting began.  While it ruled that portion of the law unconstitutional, that merely means that special elections do not have to be held in that manner, not that they cannot.

What?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »

Yeah, that is true indeed. If statute does not clearly specify a manner in which an election can be held, one could assume that it is in the disrection of the Department of Federal Elections.

Only problem with that.....they also explicitly ruled about "single elections" Smiley Don't think that'll work.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »

Yeah, that is true indeed. If statute does not clearly specify a manner in which an election can be held, one could assume that it is in the disrection of the Department of Federal Elections.

Only problem with that.....they also explicitly ruled about "single elections" Smiley Don't think that'll work.

That sounds painful. Tongue
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2011, 11:58:32 AM »

The last election, in which the President and five regional Senators were elected, was the "February Federal Election" as opposed to the "February Federal Elections," was it not?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2011, 12:00:06 PM »

A relatively quick decision will have to be made. As said, March 10 is the only possible date I can allow the election(s) to commence. Anything else would clearly be unconstitutional.

I wouldn't actually mind a legal fight personally....although I'm personally a little sceptical that the opinion will be reversed.

I don't want to put Atlasia through it unless there's a reasonable chance it'll be successful. The Atlasian voters are entitled to regain their representation as quickly as possible.

More to come soon after I think about it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »

Imagine if we have to hold 3 special elections. That's almost a month! (I'm assuming they can only be held on the weekends?)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »

Imagine if we have to hold 3 special elections. That's almost a month! (I'm assuming they can only be held on the weekends?)

It's correct that they can only be held on weekends, yes. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be allowed to open two voting booths this weekend, IMO, to fill two seats at the same time in seperate elections.

Stupid as that idea sounds.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »

How would the two be distinguished? Are there any really numbering or letters recognized in law for each At-Large seat?

How would the candidates declare for them?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »

How would the two be distinguished? Are there any really numbering or letters recognized in law for each At-Large seat?

That's exactly what I was wondering. It just sounds like one big mess to me.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »

If we wind up holding two seperate elections, I would PM each candidate that has currently declared and ask him/her to specify which seat they're running for.

They're not numbered (yet), as far as I know.....but we hold single special elections for vacancies without further specifying.

This is going to get complicated.....I fear.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »

Well, I'm glad I have been of help. -_-
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »

I really appreciate it....Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »

If we wind up holding two seperate elections, I would PM each candidate that has currently declared and ask him/her to specify which seat they're running for.

They're not numbered (yet), as far as I know.....but we hold single special elections for vacancies without further specifying.

You don't have to specify with one vacancy, you just hold the election and that guy gets the seat that is vacant. These seats have always looked ridiculous to me. The method by which succession is determined is dumb. First it was order in which you won election or something like that and now its by ideology. There is no real set order of succession or even "defined" seats as individual entities.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »

If ain't Xahar, its Al. If it ain't Al, it's Jas. And if it ain't Jas, it's Lewis. Wink Tongue

Would have been great 2008 era RPP internal propaganda.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »

I wrote the law Franzl was intending to follow...
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »

I wrote the law Franzl was intending to follow...

It was a joke. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »

I was agreeing with you - first I write the law, then I point out the legal issues with it. All of this, then, is my fault. Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2011, 12:32:39 PM »

Alright....one thing is clear, at least. A court decision exists from before I ever really became part of Atlasia and I wasn't anticipating this when I looked up the laws for a situation like this.

At any rate....I'll explain what we're going to do in a few hours, I imagine. Certainly today. We don't have much time left.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »

You don't have to specify with one vacancy, you just hold the election and that guy gets the seat that is vacant. These seats have always looked ridiculous to me. The method by which succession is determined is dumb. First it was order in which you won election or something like that and now its by ideology. There is no real set order of succession or even "defined" seats as individual entities.

Yeah, the numbering of at-large seats is essentially a joke. I want to go back to order of winning, since at least that's something that's well-defined, even if it is largely arbitrary.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies