milton county, georgia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 12:32:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  milton county, georgia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: milton county, georgia  (Read 3114 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:19:39 PM »

does anyone know how this county would vote if it still existed? Its currently part of Fulton county. Fulton county is a strong dem county and even Mondale won it. But it seems that the area that would be in Milton County doesn't have as many blacks and probably less democratic. I wouldn't be surprised if McCain won it or at least came close to.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »

At least 60% McCain, I'm sure. Possibly as much as 70%.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:46:21 PM »

The area today that was Milton County is about 78% white. I'd imagine it would vote similarly to Forsyth County, if perhaps a tad more Democratic.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:12:31 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 12:15:52 AM by Verily »

The area today that was Milton County is about 78% white. I'd imagine it would vote similarly to Forsyth County, if perhaps a tad more Democratic.

Forsyth is 95% white, so not quite that extreme. But that's the right idea. (OTOH, Hall County is only 80% white, including some Hispanic whites as it is 19% Hispanic and 7% black, so maybe.)
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 12:20:54 AM »

Forsyth is 95% white, so not quite that extreme. But that's the right idea. (OTOH, Hall County is only 80% white, including some Hispanic whites as it is 19% Hispanic and 7% black, so maybe.)
the 09 estimates [not the acs ones just the regular ones] have Forsyth at about 81% non Hispanic white 89% if you include Hispanics.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »

Yeah I'd say probably around 2:1 McCain, and maybe a bit more.  Not quite as Republican as some of the other suburban Atlanta counties, but still solid Republican.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:45:08 AM »

You can basically disregard the Hispanics in that area when talking about voting, turnout is horrendous even by heavily Hispanic areas' standards.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:29:39 AM »

so without Milton County, how would Fulton County vote? Is it possible Obama would have gotten into the low 80s if Fulton County didn't include Milton?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »

Milton would vote like Forsyth, "Rump" Fulton would vote like Dekalb.

Interestingly enough, there's been a lot of talk about Milton seperating lately; the new speaker pro-tem is pushing hard for it. The GOP's a few votes short of a supermajority to pass it, though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2011, 10:31:01 PM by Find Me A Drink Home »

Now thanks to DRA having partisan data for Georgia, we have an answer to the question:

McCain 63.7%
Obama 35.3%

It's everything northeast of Sandy Springs right? If so above is the answer. Fulton County would then be 77% Obama.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 12:23:06 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2011, 12:35:25 AM by Find Me A Drink Home »

Interestingly Atlanta would be only marginally more Democratic than Fulton minus Milton, due to southern Fulton including the unincorporated parts being overwhelmingly black in most places and the northern half of Atlanta being pretty white (though there is actually a significant population of white liberals there based on the election results, probably the only such places in Georgia outside of Athens and maybe somewhere in Savannah.)

Georgia is weird. One of only two states where blacks like ugly sprawly suburbia as much as whites do.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »

Wouldn't Georgia have to dissolve or merge some other 2 counties in order to make it work without an amendment?

Can't blame them. Milton County is tired of its tax revenue being funnelled elsewhere.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »

Can't blame them. Milton County is tired of its tax revenue being funnelled elsewhere.

I would probably call this racist, but on the other hand people will probably come to krazen's defense saying that I'm trying to stir up trouble or someone will say that white liberals are the real racists.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »

I would probably call this racist, but on the other hand people will probably come to krazen's defense saying that I'm trying to stir up trouble or someone will say that white liberals are the real racists.

I think you're confused on 2 counts, champ. GA-06 has an average income about $30k higher than GA-05, and of course has a sizable and increasing minority population. The incorporation of Sandy Springs  if I recall passed with over 90% with support of all races.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »

It's everything northeast of Sandy Springs right?

If Milton County were to be refounded, I'm certain it would include Sandy Springs. They're the wealthiest zip code in the state (9th wealthiest in the nation) and have had more scuffles with the Fulton County government than anybody else up there.

The incorporation of Sandy Springs if I recall passed with over 90% with support of all races.

It passed with 94% of the vote, but I don't think you can argue "the support of all races" bit based on that, considering it was a low-turnout off-year special election in an area that was at the time <10% black or Hispanic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »

With Sandy Springs it'd be 61.1% McCain to 37.9% Obama.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 03:02:42 PM »

Oh how times change.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 03:34:08 PM »

Interestingly, and somewhat ironically given all the discussion of tax dollars and whatnot, the only reason Milton is a part of Fulton today is that it was close to bankruptcy after the Great Depression so Fulton had to swoop in. Anyway, it will never become its own county again; the constitution of Georgia has an upper limit on counties and the GOP doesn't have the requisite supermajority to amend it. Which is a good thing, too, because the cityhood movement has already done enough damage to our county governments without people segregating themselves into different counties. But yes, McCain would have definitely won it by quite a lot.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 04:51:30 PM »

Interestingly, and somewhat ironically given all the discussion of tax dollars and whatnot, the only reason Milton is a part of Fulton today is that it was close to bankruptcy after the Great Depression so Fulton had to swoop in. Anyway, it will never become its own county again; the constitution of Georgia has an upper limit on counties and the GOP doesn't have the requisite supermajority to amend it. Which is a good thing, too, because the cityhood movement has already done enough damage to our county governments without people segregating themselves into different counties. But yes, McCain would have definitely won it by quite a lot.

If the Dems ever win back in power they should amalgamate Fulton County--would be incredible.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »

I actually think Milton would have been a Biden-Perdue county (in the runoff), if I remember correctly.  Loeffler might have carried it too.

The North Atlanta suburbs were the one place where Loeffler and Perdue did significantly better than Trump did.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 09:02:22 PM »

I actually think Milton would have been a Biden-Perdue county (in the runoff), if I remember correctly.  Loeffler might have carried it too.

The North Atlanta suburbs were the one place where Loeffler and Perdue did significantly better than Trump did.

Ex-Milton was Biden-Perdue-Warnock but each race wasn't too far from 50-50. If you add in Sandy Springs, it's Biden-Ossoff-Warnock.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 09:06:35 PM »

I actually think Milton would have been a Biden-Perdue county (in the runoff), if I remember correctly.  Loeffler might have carried it too.

Using the old lines Milton was a Biden-Perdue-Combined GOP by a Hair-McBath County in November, and a Perdue by a hair-Warnock county during the runoff.

If Sandy Springs is included, the county would have flipped blue in 2016 with Cobb and Gwinnett, and not looked back. No major GOP candidate would win such a county after Clinton's victory.

Credit to J. Miles Coleman.

EDIT: looks like I got sniped...
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 11:17:31 PM »

Obama won Elliot county KY 61-39, while losing Milton, GA in 2008.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies