Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming To Mansfield
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 03:00:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming To Mansfield
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming To Mansfield  (Read 7782 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 03:39:04 AM »

I oppose this.  Kids should learn Greek and Latin.

Hello, Libertas!
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 05:22:07 AM »

But affluent or not, it behooves all children to learn about the world beyond their immediate culture.  They should learn some foreign language, if not Arabic.

For what?  They're just going to be, as I pointed out earlier, changing tires and frying short order meals the rest of their miserable lives.  Maybe manning a cash register.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2011, 08:26:21 AM »

Yes, I can see that the original story has been updated.  But, why would it have been necessary to update the original story, removing all references to "mandatory" classes, if the classes were in fact mandatory?  Was the original report that made Drudge in error about this?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »

Yes, I can see that the original story has been updated.  But, why would it have been necessary to update the original story, removing all references to "mandatory" classes, if the classes were in fact mandatory?  Was the original report that made Drudge in error about this?

NO!

When the public learned of the mandatory requirement, there was such an outcry that the school administrators began backing down by degrees.

Unfortunately, I have noticed a number of site that have 'scrubbed' their posts to be politically correct.

There are a number of other sites that have confirmed the original story.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 08:43:22 AM »

The languages of dead homos. Teach real languages plz.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »

Math is not a foreign language.  In this country, most students get to choose which language other than English they want to learn.

My problem is not with the school teaching Arabic, but forcing children to take it and not notifying parents and the electorate until it is already a done deal.

Math is not a foregin language, but it's a subject FORCED UPON students without consent.  So is physical education and many other things.  This isn't college where you pick and choose, and even there, some things are mandatory.

IMO, you wouldn't be upset if it was Spanish or French.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »

Math is not a foreign language.  In this country, most students get to choose which language other than English they want to learn.

My problem is not with the school teaching Arabic, but forcing children to take it and not notifying parents and the electorate until it is already a done deal.

Math is not a foregin language, but it's a subject FORCED UPON students without consent.  So is physical education and many other things.  This isn't college where you pick and choose, and even there, some things are mandatory!111
I forget where, but there was a district where a few years ago one parent was making a fuss about Spanish classes. OMGZ.. it's mandatory.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »

Math is not a foreign language, but it's a subject FORCED UPON students without consent.  So is physical education and many other things.  This isn't college where you pick and choose, and even there, some things are mandatory!111
I forget where, but there was a district where a few years ago one parent was making a fuss about Spanish classes. OMGZ.. it's mandatory.

Seriously, this is an emotional issue not a logical one.  If the schools mandated 1 computer class funded by IBM no one would blink an eye.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »

The languages of dead homos. Teach real languages plz.

Yeah, let's teach Aramaic, the language of Jesus. Then the children will be able to watch The Passion of the Christ without subtitles. What more do you need to know?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2011, 10:49:51 AM »

Chinese might be the best mandatory language.......
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 10:52:20 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 11:24:51 AM by angus »

By the way, how it is with foreign language lessons in U.S. schools?

In Poland, you have mandatory English and the other one, usually German or French.

I don't know how it is now.  I know tracking is no longer politically correct, and we now spend approximately five times as much on our weakest students as we do on the strongest.  This odd situation has developed since I graduated from high school.  

Back when I was in school, we chose at the end of our 8th grade year how we would be educated in grades 9 through 12.  We chose either the vocational track, the liberal arts track, or the math/science track.  I chose math/science.  I was required four years of math, four years of English, etc., and two years of a foreign language.  Our choices were Spanish, French, German, and Latin.  The overwhelming majority chose Spanish.  I actually took four years of Spanish (two years beyond the required two), since I enjoyed it so much.  I went to interscholastic league Spanish competitions and won several trophies.  I also took more spanish as a university student and worked for a time as an English/Spanish translator for an ESL program.  Since then, I have traveled to about 15 Spanish-speaking countries as a tourist and have found it to be a very useful skill.

But times have changed.  Also, this requirement varies from place to place.  For example, I have a friend who was required to study three years of Latin in her school.  And I know of another person who was required to have two years of a language and her choices were French and Spanish.  And I've read recently of a school in California that is now requiring that all students study Chinese.  I also know many people who never studied any foreign language in high school.  There seems to be no universal standard, which is fine.  I'm something of a federalist.  I strongly support local control.  I'm just saying that if I were asked to vote on my son's local school district, I'd support mandatory foreign language studies.  And I'd offer Spanish, Arabic, and Chinese as the options.  And I'd have them do more than two years.  If the school district was too small to support more than one option or one teacher, then I'd go with one of those three.  

Out of curiosity, I just went to the Cedar Falls High School website and downloaded the student handbook to see what they are required.  Talk about priorities.  There are two pages on public display of affection and two pages on bullying/harassment, but only one page on academic requirements for graduation.  And this is one of the "good" schools, remember.  Cedar Falls composite 4th- and 8th-grade math and reading scores are above the state average and the state average is significantly above the national average.  Ah, this is the new order,apparently.  No wonder American students are being outperformed by every other industrialized society (and more than a few non-industrialized ones.)  Anyway, they are required:

A. Physical Education — must pass 4 quarters or have 2 credits in grades 9-12, unless medically excused
B. Health — 9 weeks (.5 credits)
C. Science — 6 semesters (3 years)
D. Mathematics — 6 semesters (3 years)
E. English — 8 semesters (4 years), all speech courses except for Beginning Acting will count as an English credit.
G. Social Studies — 6 semesters (3 years) to include at least 1 semester of U. S. History II, 1 semester of American Government, and 1 semester of an elective course from the World Studies area (see list of qualifying courses in Item IV). Two semesters are required beyond grade 10.
H. Personal Economics — 1 semester in grades 9 through 12.
I. Fine Arts and/or Practical Arts — 2 semester credits
J. Electives – 11.5 credits

subsequent pages define these courses more clearly.  I assume those interested in the scientific or engineering endeavors would be encouraged to go an additional year beyond the required three in mathematics and science.  And I suppose foreign languages fall under electives and are therefore not required.  Foreign language options include up to four years of Spanish, up to four years of French, and up to four years of German.  So you could become proficient in a foreign language if you were so inclined, although there's no specific requirement.  I also noticed that ROTC is still around.  Man, I remember those guys.  HaQ  Every Wednesday they'd be in those green uniforms, drilling with toy guns.  They could stand up to the taunting and abuse and ostracism like nobody's business.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »

we now spend approximately five times as much on our weakest students as we do on the strongest.

Those numbers are generally due to special needs students requiring aides above and beyond the classroom teacher for their ILPs, right?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »

Math is not a foregin language, but it's a subject FORCED UPON students without consent.  So is physical education and many other things.  This isn't college where you pick and choose, and even there, some things are mandatory.

Nobody objects to math being taught in the schools - it is fairly well-known ahead of time that schools teach math, and for good reason - you need basic math skills to live.  But you do not need to speak Arabic or Spanish or French or whatever to live in the United States. 

I am not upset about anything.  I don't live in Mansfield, Texas.  If I did, I'd be upset that the educrats wanted to force a mandatory curriculum change without public notice or consent.  As I said, we have local school boards for a reason. 

Many people here would be extremely upset if a class in Spanish language and culture, including teaching about Catholicism, suddenly became a mandatory part of the curriculum without much prior notice.  The educrats claimed teaching Islam was not going to be part of the mandatory Arabic module, but after the poor job they did in getting consent to teach the class in the first place, I'm not sure I'd believe them.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 12:40:53 PM »

Nobody objects to math being taught in the schools - it is fairly well-known ahead of time that schools teach math, and for good reason - you need basic math skills to live.  But you do not need to speak Arabic or Spanish or French or whatever to live in the United States. 

I am not upset about anything.  I don't live in Mansfield, Texas.  If I did, I'd be upset that the educrats wanted to force a mandatory curriculum change without public notice or consent.  As I said, we have local school boards for a reason. 

Many people here would be extremely upset if a class in Spanish language and culture, including teaching about Catholicism, suddenly became a mandatory part of the curriculum without much prior notice.  The educrats claimed teaching Islam was not going to be part of the mandatory Arabic module, but after the poor job they did in getting consent to teach the class in the first place, I'm not sure I'd believe them.

Yes, making students understand other cultures is something to be frowned upon.  So if the local school board approves it, you're cool with it, because school boards approve curriculum changes all the time?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »

we now spend approximately five times as much on our weakest students as we do on the strongest.

Those numbers are generally due to special needs students requiring aides above and beyond the classroom teacher for their ILPs, right?

In part, but there are other reasons.  I first became aware of this in a TIME magazine article about the No Child Left Behind act a few years ago.  Apparently the promise of monetary awards to schools has caused many to focus on reading and mathematics at the expense of all other subjects, and it has caused schools to concentrate their efforts on getting the weakest students to perform better.  As resources are limited, this focus on raising the proficiency percentages leaves fewer for the advanced and extracurricular programs.

It's rather like Bolshevism applied to education.  One way to ensure equality is to make everybody weak and poor. 
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »

NO!

When the public learned of the mandatory requirement, there was such an outcry that the school administrators began backing down by degrees.

Unfortunately, I have noticed a number of site that have 'scrubbed' their posts to be politically correct.

There are a number of other sites that have confirmed the original story.

Scrubbed for "political correctness?"  Um, no; they were changed to correct a misrepresentation in the original story.  The Arabic classes would, in the particular high schools where the program would be implemented, be electives offered from within the framework of the state's writing requirements.  Students don't have to take Arabic or classes in the "Arabic studies" program, and can fulfill their writing requirements through other coursework.  But, if they were to take some Arabic classes (not just on language), those classes would qualify in partly fulfilling state education board high school writing requirements.  The original story confused the issue.  The classes are not mandatory, they are electives.
WillK

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

...  In this country, most students get to choose which language other than English they want to learn.

Really?  What country do you live in?  Here in America, kids generally learn the language the school district decides.  My kid is learning Spanish, just like I had to.  No choice. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2011, 11:31:16 AM »

...  In this country, most students get to choose which language other than English they want to learn.

Really?  What country do you live in?  Here in America, kids generally learn the language the school district decides.  My kid is learning Spanish, just like I had to.  No choice.  

Cinyc doesn't like it because it's Arabic and might include "culture"  OMG NOEZ.......he hasn't said anything to change my opinion on that.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2011, 03:48:13 PM by phknrocket1k »

Really?  What country do you live in?  Here in America, kids generally learn the language the school district decides.  My kid is learning Spanish, just like I had to.  No choice.  

My high school offered Spanish, French, German and Mandarin Chinese.

My HS offered LESS foreign language classes than those of other HS's which had Hmong/Lao, Japanese, East Punjabi.

....and this was in "backwards redneck and illegal immigrant" central Fresno, CA. My school's per pupil state spending was like 1-2% below state average too. But its a low cost of living area with no more than 10% of students having problems at home.

To prevent easy A's for Mexican kids they simply had "Spanish for Native Speaker" classes to alleviate that concern.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »

I know I had a choice among Spanish, French and Italian, and perhaps others.  I also know that New York State offers statewide Regents exams in at least six languages, including Latin.  Granted, smaller school districts might not offer much of any choice in foreign languages because they have fewer students.  But in most suburban districts like Mansfield, Texas, there usually is a choice.

Cinyc doesn't like it because it's Arabic and might include "culture"  OMG NOEZ.......he hasn't said anything to change my opinion on that.

I'm not sure why you're personally attacking me.  I have zero problem with Arabic - or any other language - being taught in public schools.  I do have a problem with it being mandatory without any parental input or opt out.  I'd respect an elected school board that imposes such a mandate, but would vote that board out of office if I lived in the district.  The foreign language a student takes should be elective and not be dictated by receiving some grant.  The grant will run out eventually.  Then what?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2011, 09:56:10 PM »

The classes are not mandatory, they are electives.

Yes, but apparently back when Carl first posted it was meant to have been mandatory.  He was right about that.  I just checked in both the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and the Dallas Morning News, the two largest circulation papers in a fifty-mile radius of Mansfield and they both have detailed stories about this.  Essentially the school board backed off the requirement after 200 parents showed up with questions at a school board meeting.  The articles go on to mention that about ten percent of the school district's students attend this particular school.  The safety of these students may have affected their decision as well.  Sensitive to the bigotry directed toward Arabs and arabic-speakers, the district may have been quick to back off when some parents raised concerns.  I'm just speculating. 

If I lived in that school district, I'd have welcomed the requirement.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:37 PM »

I'm not sure why you're personally attacking me.  I have zero problem with Arabic - or any other language - being taught in public schools.  I do have a problem with it being mandatory without any parental input or opt out.

Do you have a problem w/ any subject being mandatory? If no, why such an exception for Arabic (or a foreign language, as the case might be)?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2011, 10:43:52 PM »

I'm not sure why you're personally attacking me.  I have zero problem with Arabic - or any other language - being taught in public schools.  I do have a problem with it being mandatory without any parental input or opt out.

Do you have a problem w/ any subject being mandatory? If no, why such an exception for Arabic (or a foreign language, as the case might be)?

FWIW, language is different in that you have many parallel options that exist at once & all achieve roughly the same thing from a developmental standpoint as well as an academic one. It's not like math, where everyone has to cover the same basics due to the fact that there's a clear set of topics you need to know about if you want to do anything math or science-related in college & not covering those basics would preclude these children from numerous fields of study later on.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2011, 11:00:36 PM »

I'm not sure why you're personally attacking me.  I have zero problem with Arabic - or any other language - being taught in public schools.  I do have a problem with it being mandatory without any parental input or opt out.

This isn't math or English.  Assuming staffing is available, students and/or parents should be able to choose what (if any) second language to learn without some districtwide mandate from some bureaucrat on high.  For some students, learning proper Spanish might make more sense to learn, especially in a state like Texas - or French, or Chinese or Arabic or Latin or two of those or more or even none at all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2011, 12:29:17 AM »

...  In this country, most students get to choose which language other than English they want to learn.

Really?  What country do you live in?  Here in America, kids generally learn the language the school district decides.  My kid is learning Spanish, just like I had to.  No choice. 
Just no.  This is the opposite of my experience.  Maybe you and your parents chose sh**tty school districts to raise their/your kids in?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies