GA-20/20Insight: Huck leads primary; Obama leads Palin but loses to other GOPers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:32:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  GA-20/20Insight: Huck leads primary; Obama leads Palin but loses to other GOPers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GA-20/20Insight: Huck leads primary; Obama leads Palin but loses to other GOPers  (Read 949 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
« edited: February 04, 2011, 09:14:53 PM by Mr. Morden »

No idea who these people are, but the showing by Cain is amusing:

http://argojournal.blogspot.com/2011/02/poll-watch-2020-insight-polling-georgia.html

"Survey of 910 registered Georgia voters, including a subsample of 379 likely GOP primary voters, was conducted January 24-28, 2011. The margin of error is +/- 3.2 percentage points among registered voters; +/- 5.0 percentage points among likely Republican primary voters. Party ID breakdown: 35% Republican; 34% Democrat; 24% Independent. Political ideology: 41% Conservative; 38% Moderate; 13% Liberal."

Mike Huckabee 19%
Newt Gingrich 18%
Herman Cain 14%
Mitt Romney 14%
Sarah Palin 11%
Tim Pawlenty 3%
Haley Barbour 2%
Mitch Daniels 1%

Mitt Romney 50%
Barack Obama 44%

Mike Huckabee 50%
Barack Obama 45%

Newt Gingrich 47%
Barack Obama 45%

Barack Obama 47%
Sarah Palin 43%
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »

Polls continue to dismiss the theory that Mitt could lose the South, as he seems to be the GOP's strongest candidate there. Also, nice showing for Cain, even though it's his homestate. Maybe he won't be a complete joke candidate.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2011, 08:50:05 PM by Verily »

Cain's numbers are almost certainly name confusion with John McCain. People would have to know who Herman Cain is before they vote for him. (If he spends a lot of his fortune campaigning, he may be able to get a not-insignificant percentage of the vote in the end, but until the campaign starts any numbers above 1% for him are strictly name confusion.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 02:54:27 AM »

Cain's numbers are almost certainly name confusion with John McCain. People would have to know who Herman Cain is before they vote for him. (If he spends a lot of his fortune campaigning, he may be able to get a not-insignificant percentage of the vote in the end, but until the campaign starts any numbers above 1% for him are strictly name confusion.)

McCain wouldn't be polling that high. Cain is a well known radio host and he ran for the Senate there in 2004. He's known in Georgia GOP circles.

Hilarious how he's beating Palin!
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:08:16 PM »

I think 10% are really voting for Cain, and 4% got confused.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 01:21:13 PM »

Polls continue to dismiss the theory that Mitt could lose the South, as he seems to be the GOP's strongest candidate there. Also, nice showing for Cain, even though it's his homestate. Maybe he won't be a complete joke candidate.

If Romney is the Nominee he'll do very well in the south. My only question is will he win any southern states in the GOP primary?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:09:41 PM »

Wow, good for Cain. It makes sense, he pulled 25% in the Senate primary and his radio show down there is very popular. And for everyone who thinks it's name confusion that makes no sense at all, Cain has been in other polls and gotten 1-0%, and nobody really likes McCain anymore. This is Georgia, this is his turf, the people actually know him well, just accept it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 11:35:11 PM by pbrower2a »

These, so far, are the head-to-head matchups between President Obama and both Romney and Huckabee. So far it looks as if President Obama would win against either Romney or Huckabee in 2012 much as in 2008. There remain plenty of blank spaces, but except for Colorado and Indiana those seem obvious enough so far.

Both Gingrich and Palin so far show political weaknesses that would set up an Obama landslide. I'm not showing those here on the assumption that Republican voters aren't going to vote for someone who stands to lose like Goldwater, if not Landon, McGovern, or Mondale.

Map:

(now modified to show California and its 55 electoral votes, New Mexico with 5, and Colorado with 9)

Obama vs. Huckabee

Obama vs. Romney

Perhaps the assumption that Romney would win some states that Huckabee would, or vice-versa because of cultural differences is more specious than it looks. The maps show much the same thing. Most of the blank spaces are either of states that nobody can now claim to be swing states in any scenario with things much the same as they are now. I haven't seen polls for head-to-head matchups in Utah or Oklahoma, either, but nobody can reasonably predict anything other than a solid Republican win in either state.

The only states that remain that could be at all 'interesting' as matchups that aren't already shown are Colorado, Indiana and New Hampshire.  

Assuming that the President wins all stats that he won by a margin of 10% or larger (pink) and loses those that he lost by a margin of 10% or larger (light blue), a predictive map shows for either Romney or Huckabee:

Obama                               350
Romney or Huckabee        170
Undetermined                     18

based on 2008 electoral votes, with the advantage going to the stronger Republican

I see no reason to believe that President Obama would lose New Hampshire and no reason to expect him to win North Dakota. Indiana? I will believe it when I see it, as I was surprised to see the President leading both Romney and Huckabee in North Carolina and NE-02.

That I can make such a map suggests that, at least so far, no state has enough people who would vote for vote for Huckabee but not Romney for President or vice-versa. In view of the weak showing of Gingrich and the apparent meltdown of Sarah Palin as a candidate I am not showing those.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:32:34 PM »

We've been on a recent trend in Colorado, about having to choose between somebody the state hates, and somebody they hate more... Weak benches on both sides
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 12:24:54 AM »

I think 10% are really voting for Cain, and 4% got confused.

Cain's from Georgia, so he has that on his side there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies