Chester (the city) Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:08:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chester (the city) Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chester (the city) Pennsylvania  (Read 680 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »

80% black, urban, all of its elected city officials are Republicans.

Discuss.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »

It's a horrible town, regardless.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »

Truth. Someone suggested in an old thread that the black Republicans might have survived due to "good governance", but this seems ludicrous to me in the context of such a disaster area as Chester. I could see, perhaps, if Chester were a thriving city that had been economically booming since 1950 and had a black Republican tradition how that tradition would have survived. But it seems like at the least at some point in a city in complete and at times seemingly terminal decline people would have grown frustrated and tried out the Democrats--and, once they did that once, national political inertia would prevent them from going back.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »

It is very hard to understand, seeing as Republicans in offices above municipal do very poorly, not even breaking a thousand votes sometimes.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:22:31 PM »

Definitely a city where you should lock your doors driving through.  I once had to detour off I-95 coming from northern Delaware and it was scary going up 13 and 291 which are main roads through Chester.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »

Definitely a city where you should lock your doors driving through.  I once had to detour off I-95 coming from northern Delaware and it was scary going up 13 and 291 which are main roads through Chester.

racist
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »

racist

That said, I don't regret my vote for Obama, but one thing I've noticed is some blacks I've come across act like now that Obama's president, they can afford to be a bit more cocky, entitled, and black guys are getting more aggressive with white women at clubs.  Myself and other union Dems I know have noticed this and there are people I know who aren't happy with it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »

Do the elected officials run as non-partisan officials, and it's known what their party is?  Or do the municipal elections actually get broken down by party?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 01:02:33 AM »

racist

That said, I don't regret my vote for Obama, but one thing I've noticed is some blacks I've come across act like now that Obama's president, they can afford to be a bit more cocky, entitled, and black guys are getting more aggressive with white women at clubs.  Myself and other union Dems I know have noticed this and there are people I know who aren't happy with it.

Ah, yes, a classic. It almost comes across as a total joke post meant to mock racists then you realize the author and remember that he's totally serious. The best part about Flyers is that he has no problems going off on other people for being racist but thinks what he says is totally ok. He used to suggest that I was a closet racist.

Anyway, I think Inks might be right here - they must have non-partisan elections for local offices. I had no idea Chester was dominated by the GOP on the local level. It just doesn't make sense.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »

racist

Actually, even by North Philadelphia standards, Chester is bad. 

I think a lot of the Republicanism might be genetic; people registered that way because their parents did.  Delco is one of those counties long dominated by the GOP at the local level (like since the Civil War).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies