Production of lethal injection drug ends
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:32:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Production of lethal injection drug ends
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Production of lethal injection drug ends  (Read 935 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2011, 03:18:44 AM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/23/lethal-injection-sodium-thiopental-hospira

Excellent. Some states have already had to stay executions due to lack of the drug and many have had great difficulty importing it. With this it should only increase.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 03:52:45 AM »

In related news, the German government has urged pharmaceutical companies not to sell sodium thiopental to the United States.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.expatica.com/de/news/german-news/germany-urges-death-drug-firms-to-shun-us-orders_124909.html
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »

They're just switching to other drugs. The crap they use to put cats and dogs down isn't going anywhere.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »

I just wonder what would death penalty states do if lethal injection is one day declared unconstitutional or simply there won't be a way to carry it on? Back to old sparky?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »

I just wonder what would death penalty states do if lethal injection is one day declared unconstitutional or simply there won't be a way to carry it on? Back to old sparky?

I don't understand why death penalty states don't simply go back to hanging or shooting....isn't that a lot easier?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:40:48 AM »

I don't understand why death penalty states don't simply go back to hanging or shooting....isn't that a lot easier?

Associations. Hanging reminds people of lynching, firing squad reminds me people of the Soviet Union and various other authoritarian regimes. I'm surprised the gas chamber lasted so long due to its association with the Nazis.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »

Associations. Hanging reminds people of lynching, firing squad reminds me people of the Soviet Union and various other authoritarian regimes. I'm surprised the gas chamber lasted so long due to its association with the Nazis.

Euthanasia isn't considered such a bad association then, I take it?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2011, 03:12:59 PM by Comrade Ogilvy »

As far as I know, Illinois and Oklahoma are technically retaining electric chair if lethal injection is ever declared unconstitutional (although in IL it may not be a case anymore soon). Firing squad is retained in Oklahoma, if both (injection and electrocution) are declared unconstitutional.

New Hampshire law states hanging should be administered if "lethal injection cannot be given".

As of others, let's assume lethal injection is now either declared unconstitutional or there is simply no way to administer, as the law states. Would you see other states going back to their old methods? Electric chair ressurection?

Also, on a side note, gas chamber is U.S. invention, Germans weren't original Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »

Probably worth noting that North Carolina has had a de facto moratorium on capital punishment for a few years now because the state's medical board has banned physicians from participating in executions.

Oklahoma though has already switched over to another drug (and already executed one person with it), so that's probably what some states will try as memphis noted.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »

Probably worth noting that North Carolina has had a de facto moratorium on capital punishment for a few years now because the state's medical board has banned physicians from participating in executions.

During the 1990s, Florida Medical Lobby strongly opposed replacing electrocution for a sole reason, that lethal injection requires physicians assistance.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 01:37:19 AM »

The shortage has affected California for a while.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 01:44:49 AM »

Instead of debating how to put people to death best, abolish it once and for all !
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 02:16:25 AM »

Instead of debating how to put people to death best, abolish it once and for all !  At the state level and/or by Constitutional amendment!
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 04:39:59 AM »

Well, now we can go back to just plain shooting them. Fine by me.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »

We could do Nitrogen Asphixiation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_asphyxiation
Then again, the reason why there has been so much innovation in killing criminals is because its probably not a good idea unless its someone who may threaten the sovreignty or the continuance of the State or Federal Government. i.e. if this person was alive, there would be a risk that he could escape and probably cause something like Oklahoma City, 9/11 or worse...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies