connecticut
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:30:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  connecticut
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: connecticut  (Read 5234 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2004, 10:28:43 PM »

am i crazy for thinking that the republicans can be competitve in ct in 08?  of course, it would take the 'right kind' of republican to make a run at the state.

but bush did make gains in 04.  if dems want to believe va is in play,  i think im going to set my sights on connecticut
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 10:33:19 PM »

The reason for the Bush gain in Connecticut was the lack of Lieberman on the ticket this time. That gave Gore a bounce. Add that to Bush's PV victory this time and you have it all basically covered.

I can't see any Republican capable of winning the nomination being able to win Connecticut.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 10:42:26 PM »

The post-9/11 bedroom community bounce combined with the Lieberman gone bounce made for a close year. So no.

Hawaii, on the other hand...was weird this year.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 10:51:08 PM »

Hawaii has a pro-incumbent bias. In 1992 Bush did there less than a point below his national average. And it wasn't even that close this year anyway, those polls turned out to be crap.
danwxman

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 03:11:52 AM »

HI, CT and NJ are not in play....unless you guys have another Reagan up your sleeves and I don't see any in the pipeline.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 03:14:13 AM »

CT becomes swing if it's Guilani vs. Sharpton
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 03:37:23 AM »

CT becomes swing if it's Guilani vs. Sharpton
No...in that case the Republican has it in the bag. The Constitution party sweeps the sagebrush West and Sharpton carries the entire South on 30-40% of the vote, so it hardly matters. Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 06:01:29 AM »

I don't think so. VA is more in play than CT, though neither is likely to go for the other side in 2008.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 06:49:31 AM »

One mans opinion:  1/2 of connecticut is filled with social climbing misfits who arent worthy of the franchise.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 12:26:16 PM »

One mans opinion:  1/2 of connecticut is filled with social climbing misfits who arent worthy of the franchise.

Harsh!

Dave
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 03:00:33 PM »

Guiliani has a shot at it if he runs.  But he won't.  So barring a disaster of this magnitude:

It ain't gonna happen.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 08:27:16 PM »

Connecticut can go Republican if the Republicans run Giuliani and the Democrats don't field hillary. Saying NJ isn't in play is like saying Missouri isn't in play at all. NJ was actually closer than Missouri, Colorado, and all of those states you pinkos said were "close."
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 08:35:27 PM »

You have to understand, Connecticut it the richest state per capita in the US, a continued policy of tax cuts and pro-small business legislation can only further promote the spread of conservatism (I was born there by the way, just so happens in the same hospital as out president)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 06:30:43 AM »

I take it you won't be moving to Western CT any time soon then?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 12:21:55 PM »

Guiliani has a shot at it if he runs. But he won't. So barring a disaster of this magnitude:

It ain't gonna happen.

And wrongly so if it did!

Dave
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 12:46:57 AM »

My sister in law is actually from Fairfield county... and no I would never move there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2004, 09:32:55 AM »

Guiliani has a shot at it if he runs.  But he won't.  So barring a disaster of this magnitude:

It ain't gonna happen.
I guess in that scenario California and perhaps Maryland would go Republican as well.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2004, 06:32:29 PM »

My sister in law is actually from Fairfield county... and no I would never move there.

Where do you live in New York and what town is your sister-in-law from?

I used to live in Westchester County, NY and now I live in Fairfield County, CT.  I moved here because the taxes were more affordable, and I could get a better house for the money.

What you say about Connecticut is certainly true of some of the people who live here, but I have to say it's mostly true of the whole NY metro area, not just Connecticut.

I actually like living here quite a bit.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2004, 06:37:23 PM »

Connecticut has, for a number of elections, consistently been about 5 points more Republican than New York.

In previous elections when New York was narrowly carried by the Democrats, such as 1976 and 1988, Connecticut has been carried by the Republicans.

Since then, both states have moved strongly to the Democrats, but Connecticut has not come so far as New York.  I often joke with people that I moved to Connecticut because it is 20 years behind New York on the road to hell, and politics is just one example of that.

At this point, it would take an unusual event for Connecticut to be carried by the Republicans.  I think all things run in cycles, and at some point Connecticut will start moving back to the Republicans, just as the south will start moving back toward the Democrats.  Connecticut has not been a sure Democratic state for very long - it was long a swing state.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 03:42:07 PM »

Ahoy dazzle fairfield county native here (in political exile in Texas) Dazzle is right and noticed how he said he moved there to find lower taxes and better housing. This brings up the fact that the enire state is becoming a big suburb to its big nasty liberal brothers of massachusetts and new york. Hartford is no NYC and not a liberal hotbed..... maybe if we just burned yale down...... anywho i see connecticut being a red state in 2008 if a New England candidate is nominated and i see it being in the red column by 2012
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 04:37:11 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2004, 04:48:29 PM by dazzleman »

Ahoy dazzle fairfield county native here (in political exile in Texas) Dazzle is right and noticed how he said he moved there to find lower taxes and better housing. This brings up the fact that the enire state is becoming a big suburb to its big nasty liberal brothers of massachusetts and new york. Hartford is no NYC and not a liberal hotbed..... maybe if we just burned yale down...... anywho i see connecticut being a red state in 2008 if a New England candidate is nominated and i see it being in the red column by 2012

Hey man, nice to meet a Fairfield County native.  What town are you from.  I live in the town of Fairfield.

You're right; many people are moving from New York to Fairfield County.  I am a person who believes in the saying "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" so I don't want these ex-New Yorkers to bring too many of their New York ways with them.  New Yorkers in general have a more expansive view of government than people here, and they're forever looking for more "services" to be provided by taxpayers.  The latest in my town is that some people wanted the town to build a 5-pool complex.  This comes on top of a huge expansion of schools and the tax increases that go along with it.  And the town already has 5 salt water beaches and 1 fresh water beach.  The proposal was defeated, thankfully, when it was determined that it was very unlikely that it could be economically self-sustaining and many thought it unfair for the town to subsidize something that could only be used by a relatively small percentage of the residents.

Some people around here are unbelievably snobbish and shallow, but they're really not the majority, and I just stay away from those types.  There aren't any more of those types here than in the New York suburbs, in my observation.

I hope you're right about the state going back at least to a swing state.  I can't stand the mindless latte liberalism of some of these suburbs, making common cause with the destructive and resentful liberalism found in decaying urban areas.  It's an unholy alliance that needs to be broken.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2004, 10:25:10 PM »

Sure, I also believe that CT is possible to be in play, but I still think Dems will win, even by a small margin
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2004, 02:02:10 PM »

Most Likely Northeastern states to go Republican:

1. NH
2. PA
3. NJ :-)
4. DE
5. ME
6. CT
7. MD
8. VT
9. NY
10. RI
11. MA
12. DC
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2004, 12:02:56 AM »

This is based on what??  CT is safe Dem.  Maybe not as safe as NY, RI, MA or D.C, but safe nonetheless
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2004, 09:49:22 PM »

maybe if u read my other post on page one youd see on what basis i say this smash
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies