Olbermann gone
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:38:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Olbermann gone
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Olbermann gone  (Read 2671 times)
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:09:51 PM »
« edited: January 21, 2011, 09:13:40 PM by Capitan Zapp Brannigan »

Keith Olbermann just said on Countdown that it would be his last show.

link: http://www.politico.com/blogs/onmedia/0111/Keith_Olbermann_leaves_MSNBC.html?showall
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »

http://twitter.com/#search?q=Keith%20Olbermann

Doesn't take long for a topic to start trending on twitter, does it?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »

Good to hear. He was never quite as terrible as...say....Beck, but still a disgrace to serious journalism.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »

Good to hear. He was never quite as terrible as...say....Beck, but still a disgrace to serious journalism.

"Serious journalism" like what?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »

Wolf Blitzer and John King! (zzzzzzzzz...)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 09:30:12 PM »

The idiot didn't get enough ratings.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »

Sad to see him go.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »

Serious journalism seems to be rather lacking in this country. The closest we have are those on Comedy Central.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »

Wolf Blitzer and John King! (zzzzzzzzz...)

Silly Px, 'journalists' should speak softly and give equal time to both sides, regardless. We need more fair journalists, like those that stood silently as we marched right into Iraq.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »

Serious journalism usually involves a certain degree of neutrality. Although I suppose Olbermann doesn't even claim to have that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 09:53:41 PM »

Well, MSNBC was the one network that had a somewhat balanced array of political views, but I guess they decided to join the other networks in having a clear far right-wing bias.

Special thanks to Obama for breaking yet another campaign promise by approving their merger with Comast.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »

As soon as someone wants to post a link as to why this happened, please do so
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »

Thet failed to agree on a new contract is the official story.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »

http://www.hulu.com/watch/42024/saturday-night-live-countdown-with-keith-olbermann
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »

He did what Keith Olbermann would want and immediately resigned.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 11:47:24 PM »

Well, MSNBC was the one network that had a somewhat balanced array of political views, but I guess they decided to join the other networks in having a clear far right-wing bias.

Yeah.  MSNBC had a balanced array of political views from left to far left, with a token crazy conservative wacko thrown in every now and again to push the "progressive" line.  And ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN have such a clear far-right-wing bias that they produced negative after negative story about Barrack Obama during the 2008 campaign, instead of sitting on the positive truth, and never hinted Palin was at fault for the Tucson shooting.  Oh wait!  The opposite actually happened?

Maddow, O'Donnell and all the rest of the left-wing hacks will still be there.  The worst person in the world is finally gone, though.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 07:28:13 AM »

Yeah.  MSNBC had a balanced array of political views from left to far left, with a token crazy conservative wacko thrown in every now and again to push the "progressive" line.  And ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN have such a clear far-right-wing bias that they produced negative after negative story about Barrack Obama during the 2008 campaign, instead of sitting on the positive truth, and never hinted Palin was at fault for the Tucson shooting.  Oh wait!  The opposite actually happened?

Maddow, O'Donnell and all the rest of the left-wing hacks will still be there.  The worst person in the world is finally gone, though.

They are only "far-left" to the far-right. 
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »

MSNBC had, imo, the best 2004 election coverage. Olbermann was part of the reason it was the worst in 08 and last year. He was a pompous asshole, as bad as O'Reilly.

As for him, his career is over. He's not going to FOX or CNN, and he's not going to get a show on Comedy Central. He'll blog for a couple years and that'll be the last we hear of him, unless he runs for congress or something and loses spectacularly.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »

He should go back to ESPN! The world was a better place when he hosted Sports Center IMO
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »

He should go back to ESPN! The world was a better place when he hosted Sports Center IMO

"During his interview with Letterman in 2007, he said: 'If you burn a bridge, you can possibly build a new bridge, but if there’s no river any more, that’s a lot of trouble.'"

http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/keith-olbermann-espn-return/
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »

More along the lines of "he should just disappear. Forever." IMO, at least.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »

Serious journalism usually involves a certain degree of neutrality. Although I suppose Olbermann doesn't even claim to have that.

Bollocks.

HST (RIP) got it right: "So much for Objective Journalism. Don't bother to look for it here — not under any byline of mine; or anyone else I can think of. With the possible exception of things like box scores, race results, and stock market tabulations, there is no such thing as Objective Journalism. The phrase itself is a pompous contradiction in terms."
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »

Bollocks.

HST (RIP) got it right: "So much for Objective Journalism. Don't bother to look for it here — not under any byline of mine; or anyone else I can think of. With the possible exception of things like box scores, race results, and stock market tabulations, there is no such thing as Objective Journalism. The phrase itself is a pompous contradiction in terms."

Perhaps, but you can't dispute that going out of your way to make your opinion known can't be regarded as serious journalism.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 02:42:28 AM »

Bollocks.

Perhaps, but you can't dispute that going out of your way to make your opinion known can't be regarded as serious journalism.

As long as your opinion is grounded on facts, and not paranoid fantasies like Glenn Beck, I prefer this kind of "unserious" journalism to the serious one of people like David Gregory ("it's not our job to question the government").
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 04:19:03 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/22/AR2011012204006.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm reminded of the MSNBC anchor meltdowns of Summer 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pLMSaPTi8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiiarNdxouc&feature=related
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies