Hensarling"Keep goverment out of my mother's Medicare!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:13:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hensarling"Keep goverment out of my mother's Medicare!"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hensarling"Keep goverment out of my mother's Medicare!"  (Read 637 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »

LOL!

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_01/027633.php

It's easy to find opponents of health care reform making bogus arguments, but I'm especially fond of those who manage to pack layers of nonsense into a short presentation.

For example, consider the remarks this week from Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas), chairman of the House Republican Conference, explaining why he wants to gut the new system. (thanks to reader C.P. for the tip):

"The American people don't want it. It's personal.

"Here's my story, two days ago, I was in San Antonio, Texas, and my mother had a large tumor removed from her head. They wheeled her away at 7:20 in the morning, and by noon, I was talking to her along with the rest of our family. It proved benign, thanks to a lot of prayers and good doctors at the Methodist hospital in San Antonio. My mother's fine. I'm not sure that would be the outcome in Canada, the U.K., or anywhere in Europe.

"No disrespect to our President, but when it comes to the health of my mother, I don't want this President or any President or his bureaucrat or commissions making decisions for my loved ones. Let's repeal it today, replace it tomorrow."

And finally, Jeb Hensarling is 53 years old, which makes it extremely likely that his mother is on Medicare. She therefore appears to have received excellent care through a system of socialized medicine.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:57 PM »

Well, for one let's be fair - that title is not something he actually said, at least not anywhere in the article you link. Secondly it seems that assumptions are being made - even if his mother is eligible for Medicare it's not certain she used it for her treatment. Given that he gets a salary of $174 grand a year for being a representative and perhaps has money from elsewhere like many politicians do, it wouldn't be odd if he paid for part of it at least. So, regardless of whatever disagreements you have with him I'm not really sure this characterization is in any way accurate.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »

What he was saying has nothing to do with the health care bill, it didn't do anything that related to hospitals or how they actually deliver care.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »

Well, for one let's be fair - that title is not something he actually said, at least not anywhere in the article you link. Secondly it seems that assumptions are being made - even if his mother is eligible for Medicare it's not certain she used it for her treatment. Given that he gets a salary of $174 grand a year for being a representative and perhaps has money from elsewhere like many politicians do, it wouldn't be odd if he paid for part of it at least. So, regardless of whatever disagreements you have with him I'm not really sure this characterization is in any way accurate.

I'm saddened by px's hyperbolic statements and threads lately.  Sad
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »

Come on Gramps. What's life without a little fun.? Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »

What he was saying has nothing to do with the health care bill, it didn't do anything that related to hospitals or how they actually deliver care.

Yep. Though when I heard him making this statement I found myself wondering whether his mother was on Medicare.

As Hensarling makes good money in Congress, I'd bet the source of her medical care wasn't Medicare. There's no way he'd be so stupid and hypocritical as to make this argument against government-provided health insurance if that was the very source of his mother's medical care.

Er.....right?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »

Fun will come Sunday at 6:30, Badg.  Tongue
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »

Sex time?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 06:12:46 PM »

Wrong liberal there Gramps, Wink though I'm looking forward to the game too. Juck them Fets!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies